Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
Just Watched
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »
You know the deal: post about a film or series you have seen recently.

12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet)

This film is widely regarded as an American classic anyway, so there's really nothing for me to say that hasn't already been said. It has a great script, tight direction and excellent performances, and is surely one of the best directorial debut features of all-time.

Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
I watched Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection over the weekend.  I'm pretty sure I caught the bad end of an Aliens marathon. 

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 07:23:16 PM »

This film is widely regarded as an American classic anyway, so there's really nothing for me to say that hasn't already been said. It has a great script, tight direction and excellent performances, and is surely one of the best directorial debut features of all-time.

One of the few good movies I've actually seen.  It's a great example that a solid script and dialogue can make a great movie without the need for action-packed scenes of kissy-kissy romantic side stories.

There was a '97 remake that I haven't seen.  I wonder if it's as good as the '57 version.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:01 PM »

One of the few good movies I've actually seen.  It's a great example that a solid script and dialogue can make a great movie without the need for action-packed scenes of kissy-kissy romantic side stories.

There was a '97 remake that I haven't seen.  I wonder if it's as good as the '57 version.

I haven't seen it either. It's directed by William Friedkin and it has quite a cast, but it just seems kind of pointless given that the original isn't dated at all.

I watched Aliens 3 and Alien Resurrection over the weekend.  I'm pretty sure I caught the bad end of an Aliens marathon. 

Yeah, it's a shame the way that series went. I actually haven't seen Alien 3, but Resurrection ranges between boring, idiotic and just-plain-bad.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »
boring, idiotic and just-plain-bad.

This sounds like the Carrie remake.  Every character in that movie was an idiot imo.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »

I haven't seen it either. It's directed by William Friedkin and it has quite a cast, but it just seems kind of pointless given that the original isn't dated at all.

Yeah, it's a shame the way that series went. I actually haven't seen Alien 3, but Resurrection ranges between boring, idiotic and just-plain-bad.

I'm in the minority, but I actually quite liked the assembly cut of Alien 3. Though none of them come close to how I feel about Alien, which is simply an amazing cinematic experience.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:54 PM »
12 Angry Men is one of my favourite movies.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 08:01:45 AM »
I allowed myself to watch human centerpiede 1and 2. I won't do that again. I never thought I would see a better shock film then 'a Serbian film'. Watch a Serbian film if you havnt seen it. But it's pretty heavy.

No, don't watch that movie. Absolute piece of shit. It wasn't even shocking, just terribly fucking boring and uninteresting.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:47 AM »
Movies don't shock me.
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »

Loved 12 Angry Men and saw a performance of it at the theatre a few weeks ago. It was a pretty intense performance, with all of the cast on stage all of the time, with no breaks apart from the interlude. The only bit of stage wizardry was the table in the middle which very, very slowly rotates, which helps create that sense of clausterphobia and frustration which does get lost in a big wide theatre instead of the uncomfortably close shots used in the film.

Just watched the 'Peadogeddon' episode of Brass Eye again this morning. Still as funny and relevant as it was in '97.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
I allowed myself to watch human centerpiede 1and 2. I won't do that again. I never thought I would see a better shock film then 'a Serbian film'. Watch a Serbian film if you havnt seen it. But it's pretty heavy.

Honestly A Serbian Film was just kind of silly. One of those horror films in which bad things happen because the lead is dumb. I get that it's supposed to be an allegory for the treatment of the Serbian people by the government, but it's just so over the top that like The Human Centipede it is essentially a comedy. In fact, the whole thing could be a set-up for the "the aristocrats" joke. As far as allegorical horror/exploitation films go, I think Salo and Cannibal Holocaust are far better.

Loved 12 Angry Men and saw a performance of it at the theatre a few weeks ago. It was a pretty intense performance, with all of the cast on stage all of the time, with no breaks apart from the interlude. The only bit of stage wizardry was the table in the middle which very, very slowly rotates, which helps create that sense of clausterphobia and frustration which does get lost in a big wide theatre instead of the uncomfortably close shots used in the film.

Just watched the 'Peadogeddon' episode of Brass Eye again this morning. Still as funny and relevant as it was in '97.
That sounds really good, I can't imagine how it would look on stage, but I'm definitely interested based on what you say here.

Also Brass Eye is one of my favourite things.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
Martin Shaw played the juror who voted 'not guilty' and it was fairly awesome. The only things which let it down were limitations of the medium itself, you just can't create the same clausterphobia in a room big enough to seat hundreds. I was just hugely impressed that they were able to perform what is essentially one long dialogue for an hour and a bit before the interlude, then repeat that and keep it edge-of-your-seat gripping.

The only one who struggled was the actor from M.A.S.H (I think) who played the old juror, he visibly struggled with a couple of lines and needed a little prompting from his colleagues. It actually helped reinforce the image of the doddering old man he was playing.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 06:28:22 PM »
Cannibal Holocaust is great. I recommend.

Adolf Hipster

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 06:29:07 PM »
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

I was sort of disappointed. They dumped a lot of the nice minor details and tended to rush things, often poorly emphasizing aspects of the story that were elaborated on much better in the book. It was still good, though.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39:50 PM »
House of Cards...

Started of slow but I loved the last few episodes, Kevin Spacey is great as well. Eager to watch season 2 in like two days when it comes out.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
Mary Poppins
My 3 year old loves the dancing penguins.

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »
David Lynch's Hotel Room
Finally watched all 3 episodes. It doesn't come close to Twin Peaks for me, but it's still one of the better shows I have seen. Amazing atmosphere and some really great dialogue. I liked the 1st and 3rd episodes the best. I still feel like I missed some details, so I will be going back and watching it again soon.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2013, 02:50:01 AM »
David Lynch's Hotel Room
Finally watched all 3 episodes. It doesn't come close to Twin Peaks for me, but it's still one of the better shows I have seen. Amazing atmosphere and some really great dialogue. I liked the 1st and 3rd episodes the best. I still feel like I missed some details, so I will be going back and watching it again soon.
This about sums up my feelings regarding the series, too.

Offline Foxbox

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
Waiting for Godot
Watched a film version of the play about 2 men waiting endlessly for a man named Godot. It all takes place in one bleak location containing one leafless tree, but it could not be more enthralling. The performances were particularly astounding and I really fell in love with the characters. I found it to be not only hilarious, but also a very moving existential piece. I'm not really sure how to fully describe my feelings for it, it's definitely something you would have to experience for yourself. This is certainly one of the best things I have experienced and I highly recommend it.
I also really hope to see a live performance of it one day.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 06:00:46 PM »
Anyone watch Homeland? The second season was pretty shit but it got a lot better in season three, i think. Last nights episode was good.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?