Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Water from cars - check my math
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »
So an idea I've had for a while is wondering if the increase in the oceans are helped along by the water vapor released by cars.

So I did some math.

Well ok, not alot.
I used this figure:http://blueskymodel.org/gallon-gas
(Scroll to the bottom) of 8.3 lbs/gallon of gas.

Then this: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=23&t=10
136 Billion gallons of gas used in the USA in 2014

Multiply 1,128.8 bilion lbs of water.
Density of water as a liquid:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html
8.3 lbs/gallon
(Convenient)
Which basically gives 136 billion gallons of water produced per year in the US by car exhaust. 

Thats a lot of water.  Not exactly lake amount but for the US only that seems like alot yearly.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Water from cars - check my math
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
Before reading this, I didn't think that cars contributed in any way to the rise of ocean levels. Lets not stop there though. Any cars driven into the ocean will also cause levels to rise. Do you have any stats on the number of cars per year driven into the world's oceans?

Thork

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
There is this thing called the water cycle. Water leaves the ocean, it gets added to the ocean, it gets electrolysised, it gets created by combustion.

The National Ocean Service claims there are 352,670,000,000,000,000,(352 quintillion) gallons of water in the oceans. So your 136 billion gallons of water is really just a drop in the ocean. Don't lose any sleep over it.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »
There is this thing called the water cycle. Water leaves the ocean, it gets added to the ocean, it gets electrolysised, it gets created by combustion.

Irrelevant. Just like the carbon in oil, the hydrogen in it has also been out of the water cycle for billions of years. The water cycle, just like the carbon cycle, is not immutable and can be disturbed by adding or removing material.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

The National Ocean Service claims there are 352,670,000,000,000,000,(352 quintillion) gallons of water in the oceans. So your 136 billion gallons of water is really just a drop in the ocean. Don't lose any sleep over it.
Thaf's just gasoline usage in the US though.

But yes, its a small amount.  But considering the carbon dioxide released is also tiny by comparison to the total amout in the atmosphere, I'd say it warrents consideration on some level.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 01:25:06 AM »

Irrelevant. Just like the carbon in oil, the hydrogen in it has also been out of the water cycle for billions of years. The water cycle, just like the carbon cycle, is not immutable and can be disturbed by adding or removing material.
That is like saying meteors are upsetting the balance of rock on earth.

But yes, its a small amount.  But considering the carbon dioxide released is also tiny by comparison to the total amout in the atmosphere, I'd say it warrents consideration on some level.
It just shows neither need any attention. You are only told by media to worry about this so as you can be guilt taxed on it at a later date.

There used to be religious taxes. The people believed in God so authorities gave them a church tax. It you want to believe in this chicken-licken 'carbon will kill us all' nonsense then the authorities will apply the obligatory idiot's environmental tax.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »

That is like saying meteors are upsetting the balance of rock on earth.
Not to state the obvious but when a meteor hits the Earth, it does damage the land, changing it forever. 

It just shows neither need any attention. You are only told by media to worry about this so as you can be guilt taxed on it at a later date.

There used to be religious taxes. The people believed in God so authorities gave them a church tax. It you want to believe in this chicken-licken 'carbon will kill us all' nonsense then the authorities will apply the obligatory idiot's environmental tax.
Not me.  No tax in America nor Norway.

Also, why not worry about both?

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 06:32:02 AM »

Not to state the obvious but when a meteor hits the Earth, it does damage the land, changing it forever. 

Considering the Earth as been hit at least as often as the moon,
I would say that damage to the land does not last forever. 

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 06:52:29 AM »

Considering the Earth as been hit at least as often as the moon,
I would say that damage to the land does not last forever.

Holy necro.  Did you really need to type that?  I mean, I said nothing of damage, just change.  A new lake or gulf, some bumpy terrain, more rock, impact craters, that sort of thing.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »
Read your post again Dave, you clearly use the word damage.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 07:51:17 PM »
Read your post again Dave, you clearly use the word damage.

I did.  I stand corrected.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 09:24:25 PM »
Another win for flat earth! :D

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »

Water is different from CO2 because it doesn't remain in the atmosphere the way CO2 does. It quickly continues on its way through the water cycle, and because the amount of water vapor that can exist in the air is controlled by temperature, the water formed from combustion in cars is most likely going to just end up in a lake, river, ocean, or as ground water, and the amount of water we're talking about is tiny in comparison to all that water. There's not much to fret about. It's not going to contribute warming or raise sea levels by any measurable amount.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 03:55:04 PM »
Actually, most meteors burn up in the atmoplane long before they have a chance to do any damage to the earth.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 04:06:29 PM »
Actually, most meteors burn up in the atmoplane long before they have a chance to do any damage to the earth.
Yes.  I never said otherwise.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2016, 05:48:54 AM »
Also it's called a meteorite when it impacts the Earth's surface.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline FEFTW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 12:32:35 AM »
Water is used in photosynthesis: 6CO2 + 6H2O —> C6H12O6 + 6O2

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »
So an idea I've had for a while is wondering if the increase in the oceans are helped along by the water vapor released by cars.

So I did some math.

Well ok, not alot.
I used this figure:http://blueskymodel.org/gallon-gas
(Scroll to the bottom) of 8.3 lbs/gallon of gas.

Then this: https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=23&t=10
136 Billion gallons of gas used in the USA in 2014

Multiply 1,128.8 bilion lbs of water.
Density of water as a liquid:
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html
8.3 lbs/gallon
(Convenient)
Which basically gives 136 billion gallons of water produced per year in the US by car exhaust. 

Thats a lot of water.  Not exactly lake amount but for the US only that seems like alot yearly.
yeah, density of water is really important when we are talking about increasing in the oceans, especially when the temperature is changing
https://amazingconverter.com/density-converter/density-of-water-lb-ft3