Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Biden is using American taxpayer money to pay off my loans
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2022, 05:56:24 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/16/what-student-loan-borrowers-need-to-know-about-the-payment-pause.html

Soon we will find out if the American taxpayer will be forced to give me thousands of dollars to pay off loans I took out or if they'll get away with selfishly using that money for something else, like Medicare or roads.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2022, 06:45:42 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/16/what-student-loan-borrowers-need-to-know-about-the-payment-pause.html

Soon we will find out if the American taxpayer will be forced to give me thousands of dollars to pay off loans I took out or if they'll get away with selfishly using that money for something else, like Medicare or roads.
Like they put money into those things.  Pfft.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2022, 07:38:58 PM »

Yes. Only billionaires may be bailed out of debt. This is the way.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2022, 08:22:46 PM »

Yes, our options are to either pay off student loans or bail out billionaires. Those are our only options. There are no other actions to perform with this money.

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2022, 08:32:17 PM »
Silly rabbit.  That money should go to the defense budget.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Rama Set

« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2022, 10:09:45 PM »

Yes, our options are to either pay off student loans or bail out billionaires. Those are our only options. There are no other actions to perform with this money.

Not sure why you would say that when you listed a couple of other good things to do with money.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2022, 11:10:07 PM »
Like I said, the biggest issue with atudent loans (and most loans really) is how you can borrow $20,000, pay back $30,000, and be told you've got 5 years to go.

Interest is a bitch and banks do NOT want to lose that revenue stream.
Your Credit score is about how much profit they make off you, not how well you pay off debt.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2023, 08:51:47 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64802849

The Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority, will make a final ruling on the cases in June.

Very nice. Can't wait for my Biden bucks.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2023, 10:59:03 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64802849

The Supreme Court, which has a 6-3 conservative majority, will make a final ruling on the cases in June.

Very nice. Can't wait for my Biden bucks.
I fully expect the court to side with the banks on this.

A nearly limitless profit stream is a conservative wet dream.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2023, 04:46:53 PM »
Supreme Court leaves student loan settlement in place  https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/1169830188/student-loan-forgiveness

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2023, 08:04:55 PM »
Supreme Court leaves student loan settlement in place  https://www.npr.org/2023/04/13/1169830188/student-loan-forgiveness
Just to be super clear - this is not related to Biden's student loan forgiveness plan.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2023, 08:15:05 PM »
Just to be super clear - this is not related to Biden's student loan forgiveness plan.

??
Its not?  Seems to be.
-edit-
Oohhh, now I see.  It was the loan forgiveness they did in november to those who have financial hardships or some such.

Still, its a good sign for the general loan forgiveness.  Gives legal precident.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 08:20:32 PM by Lord Dave »

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »
It is now dead.

Supreme Court blocks student loan forgiveness plan: live updates | NPR https://www.npr.org/live-updates/supreme-court-student-loan-forgiveness

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2023, 09:03:00 PM »
It is now dead.

Supreme Court blocks student loan forgiveness plan: live updates | NPR https://www.npr.org/live-updates/supreme-court-student-loan-forgiveness
Another spot-on prediction there, LD...
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2023, 07:26:16 AM »
It is now dead.

Another spot-on prediction there, LD...
Well it is.  SCOTUS said biden does not have the power to do that.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
Oh no, it turns out Biden isn't using American taxpayer money to pay off my loans after all. I'll have to pay them back myself, oh the humanity! Responsibility for my own actions? Gross. I perish the thought.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »
Oh no, it turns out Biden isn't using American taxpayer money to pay off my loans after all. I'll have to pay them back myself, oh the humanity! Responsibility for my own actions? Gross. I perish the thought.

Hey!  I *used to* pay taxes! 

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2023, 12:50:46 PM »
Slapping a bunch of 18 year olds with huge debt because college is ludicrously expensive is rather gross. I would rather our taxes go to making us better than other places. But I think a more important goal is to make college/universities not so stupidly expensive and then implement debt programs.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2023, 12:58:35 PM »
Slapping a bunch of 18 year olds with huge debt because college is ludicrously expensive is rather gross. I would rather our taxes go to making us better than other places. But I think a more important goal is to make college/universities not so stupidly expensive and then implement debt programs.

Cars and houses are also ludicrously expensive, yet I don't see anyone rushing to pay off mortgages or car loans. I don't see why student loans are so special (aside from being held by such a small part of the US population).

I'd argue that the government's attempts to "fix" college costs with low interest student loans are actually what drove the costs so ludicrously high in the first place. The ability of students to take out massive loans when they have little concept of the value of money is causing universities to get away with overspending. It's much the same reason that the stimulus money given to individuals and businesses drove inflation sky-high. If you give out what amounts to free money to 18 year olds, then businesses will exist to take it.

Paradoxically, I believe that if student loans were either more expensive or more difficult to acquire, you'd see college costs coming down. The only other way is having the government foot the entire bill, but then we're just putting the burden of over-paying universities on the taxpayer instead of students.

For example: it's not a coincidence that for-profit universities have their tuition set precisely to the maximum pay-out of the GI bill.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2023, 01:28:48 PM »

Cars and houses are also ludicrously expensive, yet I don't see anyone rushing to pay off mortgages or car loans. I don't see why student loans are so special (aside from being held by such a small part of the US population).

I'd argue that the government's attempts to "fix" college costs with low interest student loans are actually what drove the costs so ludicrously high in the first place. The ability of students to take out massive loans when they have little concept of the value of money is causing universities to get away with overspending. It's much the same reason that the stimulus money given to individuals and businesses drove inflation sky-high. If you give out what amounts to free money to 18 year olds, then businesses will exist to take it.

Paradoxically, I believe that if student loans were either more expensive or more difficult to acquire, you'd see college costs coming down. The only other way is having the government foot the entire bill, but then we're just putting the burden of over-paying universities on the taxpayer instead of students.

For example: it's not a coincidence that for-profit universities have their tuition set precisely to the maximum pay-out of the GI bill.

Its weird how other counties can make education publically funded.  It feels like private universities are evil and yould  go to the public ones.