Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
President Joe Biden
« on: February 04, 2021, 04:51:09 PM »
I thought it may be useful to have a thread to discuss current events of the Biden administration without being drowned out by debating/rehashing the results of an election that was decided a long time ago. In the spirit of that idea, unless there is some new story that comes out about the election/fraud, keep the discussions on whether you think Biden is actually President or not out of this thread.

Biden signed a bunch of EOs undoing the policy set by the Trump admin. The current hot topic is the next covid relief package. Looks like student loan debt relief has been kicked down the road until summer or later. Also Pete Buttigieg is in charge of the trains now.

Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 04:52:58 PM »
biden and senate dems are going to completely fuck up marijuana decrim. watch it happen.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 04:54:40 PM »
While I like free money (got my $600 yesterday) I hate the dems using reconceliation to push this through. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:06:04 PM »
While I like free money (got my $600 yesterday) I hate the dems using reconceliation to push this through.

Using reconciliation is better than including a bunch of free money for CEOs that the GOP would bargain for.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »
Reconciliation is pretty much the only tool they have since Republicans and Democrats are light years apart on what a relief deal should look like. The Republican goal would likely just end up being months of negotiations and then not voting for a Democrat bill anyway.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 05:33:22 PM »

I wish Republicans would negotiate.  They seem to have forgotten how in the past 12 years.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 05:56:06 PM »

I wish Republicans would negotiate.  They seem to have forgotten how in the past 12 years.

10 republicans went to the WH to negotiate.  I'd call that a good thing.

And did y'all read the republican proposal?  Sheesh.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 05:56:58 PM »

Probably closer to 40 years... That will be what probably ends up leading to abolishing the filibuster by Democrats, which will get Uno reversed on Democrats if Republicans take over during the midterms.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 06:43:59 PM »

10 republicans went to the WH to negotiate.  I'd call that a good thing.

And did y'all read the republican proposal?  Sheesh.

Meeting is a good thing, sure.  It's a first step.  I read the proposal.

Demanding Biden throw out his proposal and use theirs instead isn't negotiating.

Biden has said he is open to targeting the stimulus checks better, and I agree that's a good idea.  But Republicans want to cut the entire plan by 70% and thats a non-starter.

Is Republicans were serious, you could get some of them to vote for it by doing things like raising the income threshold for better targeting like they want, maybe cut a few items they feel strongly about.

But Democrats have the majority, even if it's a slim one. They set the stage, just as Republicans did for four years. 

But demanding Democrats simply throw away their own package and pass the Republican's bill instead... that's not how this works.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »
I've been watching a lot of Fox News and listening to the questions their reporters ask the press secretary and I feel confident in declaring that Joe Biden is history's greatest monster.

He says he wants unity but he won't agree to slash his bill proposals by 66% and he also won't meet Trump supporters half way and admit that he stole the election.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2021, 02:05:47 PM »
Reconciliation it is, then.

Rama Set

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2021, 02:09:58 PM »

Biden mentioned more targeted stimulus checks was a good idea. Was that part of this bill or is it intended for the $1,400 checks?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »

Biden mentioned more targeted stimulus checks was a good idea. Was that part of this bill or is it intended for the $1,400 checks?

Thats something the republicans wanted.  They also wanted to drop it to $1,000.

And more targeted is a good idea.  Unemployed/child?  $1,000.  Employed?  $500.

Rama Set

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2021, 02:42:55 PM »

Thats something the republicans wanted.  They also wanted to drop it to $1,000.

And more targeted is a good idea.  Unemployed/child?  $1,000.  Employed?  $500.

In Canada you could get $2k a month if you were unemployed or self employed and making less than $1k/month. They also subsidized wages for companies that showed revenue drops comparing months year over year and scaled it with the magnitude of the revenue drop. It’s kept things pretty stable but largely ignored that our poorest people largely worked in “essential services” and shouldered a disproportionate amount of COVID exposure.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2021, 05:04:04 PM »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »
They got the $15 minimum wage in the relief bill. That’s pretty huge. Biden seems intent on maximizing his likely two years of productive time before mid-terms grind the country to a halt again.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 12:41:54 PM »
They got the $15 minimum wage in the relief bill. That’s pretty huge. Biden seems intent on maximizing his likely two years of productive time before mid-terms grind the country to a halt again.

Thats.... Ugh.
I mean, $15 is alot in some parts of America.  Like ALOT.  $10 sure but $15 for places like Kentucky or North Carolina?  Not good.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 12:56:34 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/stimulus-check-gop-proposal/index.html

I don't see why it's so bad to NOT limit payments to people who are financially screwed?  Like if you have a job and you're earning enough money to support your family, you don't need a stimulus check.  Unless you want the economy to get a sudden sugar rush to help keep it going.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/01/politics/stimulus-check-gop-proposal/index.html

I don't see why it's so bad to NOT limit payments to people who are financially screwed?  Like if you have a job and you're earning enough money to support your family, you don't need a stimulus check.  Unless you want the economy to get a sudden sugar rush to help keep it going.

Buisnesses, people and the economy as a whole needs a boost right now.  Badly.

What we learned during the recession in the Obama years is the worst thing you can do is waste months delaying and fighting instead of getting money moving.  The current bill isn't perfect but a flawed bill NOW is going to be way better than a 'perfect' bill in 5 months when it's too late.

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 02:16:51 PM »

Thats.... Ugh.
I mean, $15 is alot in some parts of America.  Like ALOT.  $10 sure but $15 for places like Kentucky or North Carolina?  Not good.

Are you saying it's bad that MW got bumped up that high? Particularly in those areas? I would have thought itd be the other way around - too bad it didnt go higher for areas like NY, LA, SF - areas where cost of living is higher.

The best time to raise MW would have been 20 years ago. The second best time is now, even with the complexity of pandemic shutdowns and uncertainty of everything.