Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
African-Americans and Americans are two different groups
« on: January 21, 2022, 01:43:02 AM »
That's what everybody's favorite human eel, Mitch McConnell thinks, anyway.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/20/mcconnell-waves-off-voting-concerns-since-black-people-turn-out-heavily-americans/

"African-American voters are voting in just as high percentages as Americans."

Yep. Every now and then these assholes say the quiet part out loud.

Let's face it, he really thinks the concerns are misplaced because he doesn't see black people as Americans.

Should be fun seeing Tim Scott's awkward attempt at justifying the comment. The Republicans just love trotting out their token black Senator for damage control in these situations.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
Re: African-Americans and Americans are two different groups
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 02:15:04 AM »
It's of course fun to have a laugh at Mitch McConnell's expense, I enjoy that as much as anyone else. But this one has me rolling my eyes. "Old man has tough time with words" is pretty boring. And that's not to say you (and all the talking heads posting about it) are wrong, it's just that there's no way anyone is going to see this through anything other than their already-established political goggles. And Biden makes constant gaffes, so there's the whole glass houses and rocks thing too.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 02:21:41 AM »
It's of course fun to have a laugh at Mitch McConnell's expense, I enjoy that as much as anyone else. But this one has me rolling my eyes. "Old man has tough time with words" is pretty boring. And that's not to say you (and all the talking heads posting about it) are wrong, it's just that there's no way anyone is going to see this through anything other than their already-established political goggles.

So what else is new?

And Biden makes constant gaffes, so there's the whole glass houses and rocks thing too.

Oh for sure, and I've taken aim at him in the past for it too.  His comment that if you don't vote for him "you ain't black" was very cringey and condescending, for example, and somewhere in one of the threads dedicated to him I criticized him for it. And I was the one who brought it up, not a Tom or a Lackey.

But Republicans (modern Republicans, please don't trot out the tired cliche that it was the Democrats who fought for slavery and the Republicans who fought against it 160 years ago, it's just not constructive) have a history of this kind of thing. They keep the racism to themselves for the most part these days but it's there. They are fighting to keep white people in power right now. That's what all these voter suppression measures are all about.

This is beyond "old man has a tough time with words". He said what he meant, he just didn't mean to say what he meant.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 02:28:08 AM by Roundy »
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 02:32:03 AM »
I highly doubt that deep down McConnell really thinks that black Americans don't count as regular Americans. It's just a slip of the tongue, and to focus on that buries the real issue of McConnell only pushing this rollback on voting rights and access because he knows that a smaller voting population usually favors Republicans - because the people most affected by reduced voting rights and access tend to vote Democratic.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 02:59:32 AM »
Eh, he's an old white southern Republican. He's racist. It's really only a question of degree.

And it was a Freudian slip if the tongue if anything.

Offline Clyde Frog

• [kʰlaɪ̯d fɹɒg]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 03:47:57 AM »
It's of course fun to have a laugh at Mitch McConnell's expense, I enjoy that as much as anyone else. But this one has me rolling my eyes. "Old man has tough time with words" is pretty boring. And that's not to say you (and all the talking heads posting about it) are wrong, it's just that there's no way anyone is going to see this through anything other than their already-established political goggles.

So what else is new?
Nothing at all, including this silly sound bite from McConnell. Lefties will say he said the quiet part out loud. Righties will say he just made a gaffe. No one can definitively say either way. The dial doesn't move. This silliness fans the flames of division among the masses and serves literally no other purpose.

please don't trot out the tired cliche that it was the Democrats who fought for slavery and the Republicans who fought against it 160 years ago, it's just not constructive
Alright friend, I see I'm a proxy here for someone that wronged you, but try not to take out your frustrations with others on me.

This is beyond "old man has a tough time with words". He said what he meant, he just didn't mean to say what he meant.
You might be right about that. But he's got plausible deniability on his side, and plausible deniability is an enshrined democratic institution at this point. No one that thinks he's racist needed this statement to confirm it. And no one that thinks otherwise will hear this and think it was anything other than a gaffe.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 04:50:15 AM »
Righties will say he just made a gaffe.

Actually the popular position on the right is not to give a flying flip about defending McConnel. Most lifetime politicians are rotten and corrupt regardless of political affiliation. Many on the right would be happy to see McConnel removed from office for his transgressions, as well as many others in Congress. Hence the derogatory term RINO. The right even accuses them of participating in the election fraud.

The slight difference here is the Left is disingenuous and generally defends or turns a blind eye to their corrupt politicians. The discussions almost always turn into a "Yeah, but look at this other corrupt politician", like you think I like corruption of any party.  ::)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:59:33 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 05:34:54 AM »
Righties will say he just made a gaffe.

Actually the popular position on the right is not to give a flying flip about defending McConnel. Most lifetime politicians are rotten and corrupt regardless of political affiliation. Many on the right would be happy to see McConnel removed from office for his transgressions, as well as many others in Congress. Hence the derogatory term RINO. The right even accuses them of participating in the election fraud.

The slight difference here is the Left is disingenuous and generally defends or turns a blind eye to their corrupt politicians. The discussions almost always turn into a "Yeah, but look at this other corrupt politician", like you think I like corruption of any party.  ::)

Hilariously dumb take from you considering the lefties here have each criticized Biden in his first year more than you criticized Trump ever.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 05:40:14 AM »
Hilariously dumb take from you considering the lefties here have each criticized Biden in his first year more than you criticized Trump ever.

No, not really. Lefties don't call him corrupt. I don't see them participating in questioning Joe Biden actions in Ukraine, pay-for-play, the shady actions of his son, etc. They literally ignore it.

Nancy Pelosi made millions while in Congress and makes better returns on stock trades than Warren Buffet. I don't see lefties calling her corrupt. The criticism for that comes from the right, not the left. The left generally ignores it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:02:55 AM by Tom Bishop »

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 05:53:03 AM »

No, not really. Lefties don't call him corrupt. I don't see them participating in questioning Joe Biden actions in Ukraine, pay-for-play, the shady actions of his son, etc. They literally ignore it.

Nope. For the record, anyone who has criticized Biden once has shown more of a critical than eye than you do towards Trump.

By the way, how is Hunter’s alleged corruption Biden’s fault? Surely you don’t hold the father responsible for the son’s actions?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 06:03:48 AM »
Thanks for demonstrating my point. Now you are suggesting that Hunter was doing corrupt things with foreign countries, receiving large sums of money, and that it had nothing to do with his father who was running policy on those countries as VP at the time. Completely disingenuous.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 06:22:59 AM »
He probably had voter blocks in his head.
The black vote (African American) is not the same voting block as most Americans.  Ie. Whites.  Different needs, cultural differences, etc...
So he probably just lumped all non-blacks into one group because its easiest when looking at data sets.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 06:40:18 AM »
Thanks for demonstrating my point. Now you are suggesting that Hunter was doing corrupt things with foreign countries, receiving large sums of money, and that it had nothing to do with his father who was running policy on those countries as VP at the time. Completely disingenuous.

So you literally want Biden to be guilty because of his son’s actions. Fascinating.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 07:38:55 AM »

So you literally want Biden to be guilty because of his son’s actions. Fascinating.

Listen to yourself. If the shoe were on the other foot you would be calling out the questionable nature of the Republican president's son. Don't even lie.

At least be honest and tell us that you don't care, that he's on your side so it's okay, or however you really feel. That's infinitely better than lying to yourself and everyone else by pretending to have morals.

Offline GoldCashew

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
Ever notice how when Donald Trump wanted to protect our borders it was called racism.

And when president Kamala Harris makes a comment in Guatemala to not come to America it's about protecting our borders?

----------------

Ever notice how a Liberal claims to be accepting of everyone / everyone's differences.

But then, if you disagree with a Liberal you are suddenly marked as something along the lines of a racist or uncaring?

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 10:38:59 AM »

Listen to yourself. If the shoe were on the other foot you would be calling out the questionable nature of the Republican president's son. Don't even lie.

At least be honest and tell us that you don't care, that he's on your side so it's okay, or however you really feel. That's infinitely better than lying to yourself and everyone else by pretending to have morals.

I’m not so stupid as to think that the corruption of Trump’s children should be blamed on him. Stop projecting your weird North Korean mentality on to me. Instead think about how in 6+ years how you have never found any decision Trump has made to be lacking and how that shows a distinct flaw in your critical faculty.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 03:17:10 PM »
Nancy Pelosi made millions while in Congress and makes better returns on stock trades than Warren Buffet. I don't see lefties calling her corrupt. The criticism for that comes from the right, not the left. The left generally ignores it.

literal lol. it's genuinely adorable that you think this is true.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 05:22:56 PM »
Guys... We are so far off topic Tom Hanks called to ask about volleyballs.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 05:28:20 PM »
I don't get the controversy. Even the article linked in the OP points out that what he meant to say was Americans as a whole (that is, African-Americans included).

So a public figure chose his words poorly in front of a microphone. If you're going to make a thread every time that happens, please let me know so I can give the server more disk space.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 06:02:55 PM »
Even the article linked in the OP points out that what he meant to say was Americans as a whole (that is, African-Americans included).
Even better. The WaPo article also points out that what McConnell said was true, at least on a technicality.

Presumably, McConnell meant that Black voters turn out at rates equivalent to Americans overall. In recent elections, that’s been true. Black turnout exceeded the national turnout rates in 2008 and 2012 before aligning with them in 2016 and 2020. Hispanic rates, by contrast, are well below the national rate while White turnout is above.

He also immediately follows up with statistics that refer to "Americans", which helps further disambiguate the statement.

The suggestion that McConnell meant for "Americans" to mean "the superior white race" reeks of desperation and/or surface-level reading (if you don't listen to anything McConnell says before or after the one sentence, and if you only pay attention to headlines and tweets, perhaps you might reasonably conclude that a big bad racism happened here).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 06:06:22 PM by Pete Svarrior »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume