Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (>^_^)> it's propaganda time (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
4% of Poles Believe the Earth is Flat [sources incomplete]
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
It would seem that the Polish Nationwide Research Group conducted research into Polish citizens' belief in "conspiracy theories" in late January 2021. The original source appears to be behind a paywall (and it wouldn't take my credit card - I swear I'm not that broke; I'll keep trying), but a couple of news articles in relatively reputable media have covered it as a story:

https://www.polsatnews.pl/wiadomosc/2021-02-26/11-proc-polakow-uwaza-ze-amerykanie-nie-wyladowali-na-ksiezycu-4-proc-ze-ziemia-jest-plaska/
https://wiadomosci.radiozet.pl/Polska/Teorie-spiskowe-w-Polsce.-4-proc.-wierzy-ze-Ziemia-jest-plaska.-11-proc.-nie-wierzy-w-ladowanie-na-Ksiezycu

Unfortunately, I was unable to find anything in English, but Google Translate seems to spit out a pretty reasonable translation for these.

Based on these articles, it would seem that:
  • 4% of Poles believe that the Earth is flat, significantly lagging behind the 11% of moon landing sceptics
  • The belief is particularly popular in smaller cities and towns, at 5.6%
  • The age group most likely to believe in a Flat Earth is around the age of 30, with just over 6% of believers
  • 5% of Law and Justice (PiS) voters believe the Earth is flat, in stark contrast to 0% among Polish People's Party (PSL) voters. Similarly, PiS voters are much more likely to believe that the moon landing was a hoax, with those voting for the Left Together (Lewica Razem) being least likely to follow this belief.

According to both articles, this poll was performed on a sample size of 1001 Polish adults, which is pretty impressive for such a niche subject. I hope we can get to the original source to see if there's more detail to get out of it. If anyone has more luck with it than I did, help would be very much appreciated.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

<Parsifal> I like looking at Chinese Wikipedia with Noto installed
<Parsifal> I don't understand any of it but the symbols look nice

Re: 4% of Poles Believe the Earth is Flat [sources incomplete]
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 10:40:40 AM »
I work with Polish teams quite a lot. I'll send these to them to see if they can glean anything useful.
"On a very clear and chilly day it is possible to see Lighthouse Beach from Lovers Point and vice versa...Upon looking into the telescope I can see children running in and out of the water, splashing and playing. I can see people sun bathing at the shore
- An excerpt from the account of the Bishop Experiment. My emphasis

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »
I work with Polish teams quite a lot. I'll send these to them to see if they can glean anything useful.
Thank you!

In the meantime, I managed to sign up for a trial of their OGB Pro service, which granted me access to the original report. I'll make copies available here soon.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 11:46:34 AM »
I didn't get much insight, but my Polish bff said:

"not big sample - but yes, those who vote for Law and Justice party (the "traditional" right sided party) and related parties are showing more and more troubling approach to reality"

(I have asked her if she is assuming this correlation - as in, I doubt that's in the data, she hasn't replied yet)
"On a very clear and chilly day it is possible to see Lighthouse Beach from Lovers Point and vice versa...Upon looking into the telescope I can see children running in and out of the water, splashing and playing. I can see people sun bathing at the shore
- An excerpt from the account of the Bishop Experiment. My emphasis

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 11:52:21 AM »
Yeah, people really struggle with sample sizes. 1001 is well above average, as long as the methodology isn't skewed.

From what I can see in the report, they did explicitly query political beliefs, so the correlation is actually in the data.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 10:11:29 PM »
Since one party got 5% and the other party got 0% it would suggest that people didn't just select it as a joke.