Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
Solar eclipse paths on a FE map
« on: November 13, 2020, 03:40:32 PM »
The Wiki poses that solar eclipse paths make more sense on a flat earth map than the RE map.

https://wiki.tfes.org/File:AE-TwentyYearsOfEclipses.jpg#file

At first glance, this appears reasonable.  However, upon further thought the map would appear to me to refute the FE model.  Two objects rotating in circular orbits around the same point would cause shadow arcs to appear on the map below which have starting and ending points at the same lattitude.  This is absolutely certain. Geometry dictates it.  Two objects rotating in concentric circles in a 3-D model would always have their, what I'll term 'visual intersection point', drawing a concentric circle as well when projected on a plane below them.  On the FE map though the arcs are at multiple orientations.  EA would not be an adequate explanation for this as even if the sun's light waves are bending, they would still be traveling in a circular path.

Is there another piece of FE theory which would explain this?
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Solar eclipse paths on a FE map
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 03:47:47 PM »
Two objects rotating in circular orbits around the same point
Neither orbit is circular.

Please familiarise yourself with the basics of the theory before asking questions here.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline WTF_Seriously

• Nobody Important
    • View Profile
Let's try this again.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 04:12:31 PM »
Pete - "The Sun moves in circles around the North Pole." - https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_Frequently_Asked_Questions

Sorry for my literal interpretation.  If that's not correct you might should update the Wiki page.  Then perhaps you should let me correct my error and restate the post rather than just shut the post down, but you do you.

The geometry of my original post (reposted below with a couple minor edits) still holds true.

-------------------------------
The Wiki poses that solar eclipse paths make more sense on a flat earth map than the RE map.

https://wiki.tfes.org/File:AE-TwentyYearsOfEclipses.jpg#file

At first glance, this appears reasonable.  However, upon further thought the map would appear to me to refute the FE model.  Two objects rotating in NEAR circular orbits around the same point would cause shadow arcs to appear on the map below which have starting and ending points at the same lattitude.  This is absolutely certain. Geometry dictates it.  Two objects rotating in NEARLY concentric paths in a 3-D model would always have their, what I'll term 'visual intersection point', drawing a NEARLY concentric path as well when projected on a plane below them.  On the FE map though the arcs are at multiple orientations.  EA would not be an adequate explanation for this as even if the sun's light waves are bending, they would still be traveling in a circular path.

Is there another piece of FE theory which would explain this?
---------------------------------------------

Even if their paths are not exact circles, there is no explanation for a path with has one point at a lattitude < 10 deg. and the other point at a lattitude of nearly 40 degrees.  Though not identical, the orbits of the moon and sun are too close in relation for this to be possible.
Flat-Earthers seem to have a very low standard of evidence for what they want to believe but an impossibly high standard of evidence for what they don’t want to believe.

Lee McIntyre, Boston University