Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
New forum staff appointments
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:47:39 AM »
You may have noticed that we've had some forum staff changes in the past day. The goal of these changes is two-fold; first, I wanted to fill the admin position left vacant by pizaaplanet; and second, I wanted to ensure that our moderation team is composed of currently active members.

To start with, I'd like to thank Gayer and Roundy for their service as moderators in the past. However, as both of them have become occasional posters, I decided to replace them with new recruits.

Blanko has been promoted to administrator. This change is largely ceremonial, and a long time coming; he's already been making outstanding contributions to forum discussions, moderation, website design and more for months. Now that he has access to the admin panel, there are fewer obstacles to him continuing to do so.

Your new moderators are Pongo and Rushy. They have both been on FES for many years, I believe they both have cool heads, and they are active contributors in different sections of the forum. Their long years of assimilation into FES culture will serve them well in their new roles.

Please welcome your new overlords moderators, and may they serve you well.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: New forum staff appointments
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 11:05:19 AM »
Congrats.  Hope y'all don't go crazy.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »
To start with, I'd like to thank Gayer and Roundy for their service as moderators in the past. However, as both of them have become occasional posters, I decided to replace them with new recruits.
And so he installs Pongo. Someone with 179 posts. ::)

Pongo has never been anything other than an occasional poster.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »

You're the one who wanted a dictatorship. Deal with it.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 02:00:36 PM »

Keep in mind that Pongo didn't start posting here right away after the split. He's definitely been an active poster in the last couple of months, and he's active on IRC as well.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »

Post count is irrelevant to moderation skill.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
he's active on IRC as well.
Oh, so he's just here to moderate IRC? Noted.

What a surprise. Someone in the IRC clique.

As long as I have the freedom to point out when you make a dumb decision, its fine.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
As long as I have the freedom to point out when you make a dumb decision, its fine.
How would you feel if I applied for the job?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 04:40:03 PM »

No, IRC activity just happens to be a good indicator of online presence in general. If they're active on IRC, then it's likely they're active on the forum as well, no?

But I guess it does help that every moderator is an IRC regular, as it enables real-time conversation over decision-making.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2015, 05:23:17 PM »

No, IRC activity just happens to be a good indicator of online presence in general. If they're active on IRC, then it's likely they're active on the forum as well, no?

But I guess it does help that every moderator is an IRC regular, as it enables real-time conversation over decision-making.

You shouldn't have said that.  Now he's going to complain that there won't be a record of said conversations on the forum that other mods could follow up on, because it'll all be on IRC.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »

Well Pongo has under 3 days on this forum in total. Compare that to your 46 days or my 36 days. I'd say no, he isn't spending lots of time online on this site.

How would you feel if I applied for the job?
Would be better than Pongo. In fact I'm on record with my opinion of you as a moderator.

I think Lord Dave would be a good mod. Yes, he is dim, but he his heart is in the right place. He will make dumb decisions, but as we all know that from the off, we can expect them to be overturned by a sensible admin staff.
I actually suggested you.  :o

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
How about you give him a chance before you start attacking him? Previously, some of our actively posting mods did absolutely no moderation. By that I mean they literally wouldn't appear in the moderation log. At all. That's why I felt forced to do most of it myself. Post count and post frequency is no indicator of moderator activity.

Wait until he does some moderation, then judge his position as a moderator by that.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
Would be better than Pongo. In fact I'm on record with my opinion of you as a moderator.

I think Lord Dave would be a good mod. Yes, he is dim, but he his heart is in the right place. He will make dumb decisions, but as we all know that from the off, we can expect them to be overturned by a sensible admin staff.
I actually suggested you.  :o

I see.  Sorry, I didn't go into that thread so I didn't know.  But thank you for the good, if backhanded, approval.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2015, 10:26:56 PM »
I approve of these selections.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 11:56:01 PM »
I approve of these selections.
Irrelevant.
God is real.

Offline Gayer

• I am a cunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 09:51:38 AM »
Can I still have a special title though? I like being special.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
And I'm STILL overlooked for mod? I've been a part of FES in some manner for almost a decade now...

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
I was also overlooked, even though I'm pretty active here and in IRC.

Ah well.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:01 PM »
It's a clique. It's Parsifal's friends. If you haven't got your nose firmly jammed up his hairy Aussie poop chute, you aren't going to be a mod. 

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2015, 09:53:24 PM »
It's a clique. It's Parsifal's friends. If you haven't got your nose firmly jammed up his hairy Aussie poop chute, you aren't going to be a mod.

>implying rooster isn't part of the clique