Re: What happened to flight MH370?
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2014, 09:43:57 PM »
The anti potato clouds your thoughts. Yes they do. You don't even have to land small airplanes at an official airport. I landed one in my backyard once. It's just a lot bumpier.

Ghost of V

« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2014, 09:49:43 PM »
I landed one in my backyard once. It's just a lot bumpier.

No you haven't.

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2014, 09:54:26 PM »
We have found the anti potato! Holy holy is the spud thy holy!! Someone go get the Pam!

Ghost of V

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
We have found the anti potato! Holy holy is the spud thy holy!! Someone go get the Pam!

I see you've devolved into nonsense posts. I guess this means you can't refute any of my claims. Congratulations.

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2014, 10:10:21 PM »
Your claims? Is "no" a claim?

Ghost of V

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
Your claims? Is "no" a claim?

You claimed that you have literally landed a plane in your backyard. I claimed that you didn't. The next step is for you to provide proof of your claim. Photographic evidence, or post the flight records, maybe?

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:52 PM »
You know what would be a hell of a lot easier and less risky than stealing a plane? Making an improvised explosive. There's guides on the internet, and plenty of different methods to use. It only takes 1 person as well.

Also, you can't land a Boeing 777 anywhere. It's a very heavy plane, and landing it on an unpaved runway is possible but dangerous and would likely destroy the landing gear.

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
My grass runway for Cessna style aircraft. 2/3 of it at least. Having trouble adding picture on my ipod.

Most runways left from ww2 in the Indian ocean area on small islands are asphalt or concrete. Landing a 777 would be like landing a bomber with a bigger wingspan.

Ghost of V

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:31 PM »
My grass runway for Cessna style aircraft. 2/3 of it at least. Having trouble adding picture on my ipod.

Most runways left from ww2 in the Indian ocean area on small islands are asphalt or concrete. Landing a 777 would be like landing a bomber with a bigger wingspan.

Trouble adding pictures to your 'iPod' ....... Do you care to elaborate? Maybe I can help you troubleshoot the problem.

« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:51 AM »

WW2 runways would likely be in disrepair and overgrown, and many were designed to land nothing larger than WW2 era bombers. A loaded 777 weighs substantially more than a bomber. Anything short of a sealed, maintained runway will likely damage or outright destroy the landing gear. Those runways can probably be seen from satellite as well, so if investigators ever had reason to believe the plane landed then they would certainly check them.

« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:30 AM »
I agree it would be difficult, but not possible. Camp netting does a really good job of hiding this sort of stuff too. Patching up a runway would be a breeze and one or two repairmen could fix any damage the landing gear may get. Airplanes are a lot more durable than I feel you think they are.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »
Airplanes are a lot more durable than I feel you think they are.

They're actually frighteningly fragile, especially large military and commercial airplanes. Landing a 777 on a low grade runway will result in an inop 777.

« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:46 AM »
Airplanes are a lot more durable than I feel you think they are.

They're actually frighteningly fragile, especially large military and commercial airplanes. Landing a 777 on a low grade runway will result in an inop 777.

I admit I did not research this and it was probably wrong, but speaking of military aircraft, one can't help but admire the durability of the A-10 Thunderbolt, even though the AF wants to phase them out.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2014, 03:52:32 AM »
I admit I did not research this and it was probably wrong, but speaking of military aircraft, one can't help but admire the durability of the A-10 Thunderbolt, even though the AF wants to phase them out.

That really depends on what you mean by durability. Their ability to fly under fire is noteworthy. Their ability to continually accomplish missions is not, mainly because they can't. I actually do maintenance management analysis on A-10s. (any of my comments are not official views of the air force yada yada)

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2014, 03:59:30 AM »
That's pretty cool them, my favorite kind of airplane. Actually have a couple 30mm dummy rounds from the Gatling gun on it. I know someone who built dies to load dummy rounds and ended getting some for Christmas. Even spent some time at range 1 alpha in camp Atterberry right next to a range that they were using for live fire A-10 training.

I heard from some of my AF friends that the missions they were being sent on we not actually feasible for the A-10 to handle like anti personnel missions.

« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »
A 777 weighs 200 tons. That much weight is not supposed to land anywhere except reinforced runways. It can land on unsealed runways, but it's unlikely the plane will be able to take off again afterwards as the wheels will dig right into the ground and likely rip off the gear entirely. A couple of guys will not be able to fix up a 60 year old runway, repair the landing gear on a plane and refuel it all by themselves without being noticed. Your insistence on these theories is silly, because the rough route of the plane is known.

As for the A-10, it's an expensive old plane that is quickly coming to the end of its service life. It found a niche in the CAS role, but in a real war it would be almost entirely useless.

« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2014, 04:13:25 AM »
Woah! Don't hate on the A-10. It's still useful. Say you want to destroy everything in a certain direction or throw a lot of depleted uranium through a Chinese tank really fast. That's what you have the warthog for.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2014, 04:26:59 AM »
This is the point where any further serious discussion becomes impossible.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2014, 04:28:19 AM »
As for the A-10, it's an expensive old plane that is quickly coming to the end of its service life. It found a niche in the CAS role, but in a real war it would be almost entirely useless.
That's what they said just before the first Gulf War.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2014, 04:55:14 AM »
Woah! Don't hate on the A-10. It's still useful. Say you want to destroy everything in a certain direction or throw a lot of depleted uranium through a Chinese tank really fast. That's what you have the warthog for.

It's useful as long as we're fighting stupid wars in the middle east. In a war against a nation that has a military, it's useless. The canon is also not that powerful, most modern tanks can withstand rounds from it.

That's what they said just before the first Gulf War.

The Gulf War was not a real war.