Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #380 on: January 26, 2017, 11:23:14 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/media/stephen-bannon-trump-news-media.html?partner=msft_msn&_r=0

“I want you to quote this,” Mr. Bannon added. “The media here is the opposition party. They don’t understand this country. They still do not understand why Donald Trump is the president of the United States.”
They do though.  It's just a dumb reason.

“The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile,” Mr. Bannon said during a telephone call.
But that is concerning.
He's basically saying "Stop questioning us!  Stop reporting us!" which is not a good policy to have if you want a free and open democracy.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 27, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »
That, to me, is the most concerning part of Trump's presidency so far. I strongly disliked Obama's excessive use of executive orders, and so far Trump's been even worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders#Consolidated_list_by_President

Obama signed fewer exec. orders than Dubya, Carter, Johnson, Nixon, Clinton, Reagan, Eisenhower, Harding, Taft, Truman, Hoover, Roosevelt, Coolridge, Wilson, and FDR.

In terms of Orders per year, there are 22 presidents (Including Trump!) who signed more.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: January 27, 2017, 10:49:34 AM »
What is it with liberals and cherry-picking whichever statistic they think makes them "right"? Guys, that meme got boring in like 2010
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 27, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
That, to me, is the most concerning part of Trump's presidency so far. I strongly disliked Obama's excessive use of executive orders, and so far Trump's been even worse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_federal_executive_orders#Consolidated_list_by_President

Obama signed fewer exec. orders than Dubya, Carter, Johnson, Nixon, Clinton, Reagan, Eisenhower, Harding, Taft, Truman, Hoover, Roosevelt, Coolridge, Wilson, and FDR.

In terms of Orders per year, there are 22 presidents (Including Trump!) who signed more.

I think it's less quantity and more the use of authority.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #384 on: January 27, 2017, 12:01:48 PM »
What is it with liberals and cherry-picking whichever statistic they think makes them "right"? Guys, that meme got boring in like 2010

Cherry-picking is out, alternative facts are in.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 27, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »

I think it's less quantity and more the use of authority.

Fair enough. I'm not about to go through Roosevelt's 3,500-odd E.O.s to see which were more 'powerful.'

« Reply #386 on: January 27, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
I'm not too worried about the executive orders, to the extent that regardless of what Trump orders people under the executive to do, Congress is still controlling the budget. His wall order, for example, is essentially a suggestion at this point as long as there's no money for it, and with the allocation of funds apparently being separate from the main budget, according to Paul Ryan, the likelihood is that Democrats will filibuster funds for the wall, and nothing will happen.

I am concerned about the DHS publishing crimes committed by aliens and the global gag rule.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 02:22:06 PM by trekky0623 »

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 27, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »
I guess it depends on whether it is "aliens" or "illegal aliens". I know you've pointed out that the text of the order omits the word "illegal" (and it only does so in this one place; it's very clear more or less everywhere else throughout the document), but a naive part of me hopes that it's just an ambiguous phrasing rather than an attempt at sneaking it in. The realist in me, obviously, doesn't think that's particularly likely.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 27, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »

« Reply #389 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 28, 2017, 05:54:03 AM »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 28, 2017, 08:49:47 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38777437

Incoming drama
He did it on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.  Which is ironic since it was the holocaust that helped shift our refugee policy.  America turned away a lot of Jews seeking asylum from Germany.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/us-government-turned-away-thousands-jewish-refugees-fearing-they-were-nazi-spies-180957324/

History repeating?  Learning from the past?  Or is Trump just a hater?

« Reply #392 on: January 28, 2017, 04:05:50 PM »
Reuters is reporting that legal green card holders are included in Trump's travel ban. So it seems that, even if you have legal residence in the United States, if you are using a passport from one of the countries listed in his executive order, you cannot enter the United States anymore.

I doubt this is legal, and we're only on day 9.

EDIT: Even legal residents who are not entering the US from one of the seven banned countries, like PhD student Ali Abdi who travelled to Afghanistan on field work, are unable to re-enter the country.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:47:20 PM by trekky0623 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 28, 2017, 04:36:31 PM »
Reuters is reporting that legal green card holders are included in Trump's travel ban. So it seems that, even if you have legal residence in the United States, if you are using a passport from one of the countries listed in his executive order, you cannot enter the United States anymore.

I doubt this is legal, and we're only on day 9.

Worse yet, if the Daily Show is accurate, none of the countries in the ban have ever had a citizen commit a terrorist attack against the US.  9/11 was mostly Afghanistan and the California one he mentioned in his interview was from Pakistan.

« Reply #394 on: January 28, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
Just tried to call the White House Comments line about this green card issue, since it was reported a while ago that if you stayed on the line, someone would answer.

Nope. Fucking hung up on me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 07:07:08 PM by trekky0623 »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »
Just tried to call the White House Comments line about this green card issue, since it was reported a while ago that if you stayed on the line, someone would answer.

Nope. Fucking hung up on me.
Donald Trump is for THE PEOPLE.
Just so long as they don't ask questions or criticize him.

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:31 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-muslim-ban-excludes-countries-linked-businesses-article-1.2957956

This won't last. It literally just can't last. He'll be impeached, or else he'll resign (I doubt the latter will happen, unless he has a chance to frame it as a "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" gesture). There's no way we're going to have four years of this.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: January 28, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-muslim-ban-excludes-countries-linked-businesses-article-1.2957956

This won't last. It literally just can't last. He'll be impeached, or else he'll resign (I doubt the latter will happen, unless he has a chance to frame it as a "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" gesture). There's no way we're going to have four years of this.

I can see the trump supporters now....
"No, the media's lying.  That's not true.  And those countries are our allies, duh!"

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 28, 2017, 07:46:05 PM »

Hmm...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 28, 2017, 07:47:50 PM »

Hmm...

Not sure what you're getting at.