Thork

Forum structure
« on: December 01, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
I don't see the point in FEG, FED and FE Q&A. To be honest I never have. In my head they were all the same thing anyway.

Might I suggest you have two sections?

Flat Earth Debate. - A place for serious flat earth debate

Flat Earth Fun. - A place for flat earth fun, ridicule, art or flights of fancy.

Easy to moderate and allows everyone a place to troll when the mood takes them, but the serious forum allows us to keep it real too. Also very obvious for a noob to know where to post.

As for the repository, we'd be better off putting that somewhere else on the site so the content google ranks.

Sorry, I know a lot of suggestions from me, but I've had so many ignored for so long. :(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 02:51:26 PM by Thork »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Forum structure
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »
As I said in the thread in Announcements, I want people to feel at home here. We can revisit forum structure later once they've had a chance to settle in.

Making too many big changes early on is only going to drive regulars away.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
It's true. I already feel uneasy about the smileys and complete nonsense.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
the smileys
All fixed! You may need to clear your cache before they show on your end, but I've copied them over from .org
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
Flat earth fun is a great idea actually. Lets have a bit more fun round flat here. As long as we dont break the one and only rule.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 06:53:41 PM »
Should someone bring this post to this forum? Or leave it up to Tom?
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
Should someone bring this post to this forum? Or leave it up to Tom?
Really, we need to bring Tom to the forum. He'll come, but not without any juicy noobs to eat.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 10:35:44 PM »
Can we consider my structure idea?

I think we only need two forums for FE.

A super serious one to discuss flat earth and bring credibility to the site, and a fun one where people can post dumb stuff and have fun about FET. Not CN. CN is for everything. FE Fun could be for zetetic maths and square earth theory and all the other stuff people love to post, without scolding them for posting here.

Additional.
Make the Flat Earth Debate forum a different text colour or something. Red font maybe. So its very obvious that is the main point of the site and has a marked step change in moderation and rules.

Condensing the 3 will stop moderators having to move everything which is confusing to someone who made their first post and it dissappeared, + it stops a discussion on gravity in Q&A and in FED and in General all happening at once.

It will also stop the main forums looking so empty until new users arrive. If the FE Debate forum gets so busy as to require splitting, do it due to demand. Not dogma.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »

A super serious one to discuss flat earth and bring credibility to the site, and a fun one where people can post dumb stuff and have fun about FET. Not CN. CN is for everything. FE Fun could be for zetetic maths and square earth theory and all the other stuff people love to post, without scolding them for posting here.

That's a terrible idea.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:38:29 PM »

That's a terrible idea.
Ok, why?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »
Ok, why?

Having a "FE Fun" forum would detract from the serious forum. All discussion regarding FET should be serious, unless you want to make it a point to make every noob think we're just a site full of FE trolls. CN and angry ranting make a point of showing noobs we are for serious theory discussion. The square earth garbage should be nowhere near the serious forums.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 10:45:21 PM »
Ok, why?

Having a "FE Fun" forum would detract from the serious forum. All discussion regarding FET should be serious, unless you want to make it a point to make every noob think we're just a site full of FE trolls. CN and angry ranting make a point of showing noobs we are for serious theory discussion. The square earth garbage should be nowhere near the serious forums.
that's why I suggest having the serious forum in another colour.

So people know the difference. That we do serious debate here, but it might also be a better transition to get people involved in the community side of the site. (the best bit).

Why not try it? Its not like its inundated up there right now. Might also encourage jaded FErs to have a read up there for fun and maybe post in the serious forum too?

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »
I think thork makes a valid point about splitting the forums.  I don't think different font colors would be necessary though.  The difference should be apparent to anyone reading the descriptions, or even just the titles of the fora. 

I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Thork

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2013, 10:50:49 PM »
I think thork makes a valid point about splitting the forums.  I don't think different font colors would be necessary though.  The difference should be apparent to anyone reading the descriptions, or even just the titles of the fora. 

Just think it focusses the attention. But hey, we are all supposed to be adding suggestions. I'm just making mine.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »
So people know the difference. That we do serious debate here, but it might also be a better transition to get people involved in the community side of the site. (the best bit).

We are here first and foremost to spread the wealth of knowledge that is FET.

Why not try it? Its not like its inundated up there right now. Might also encourage jaded FErs to have a read up there for fun and maybe post in the serious forum too?

Do you seriously believe someone like, say, ClockTower, would ever, EVER, post in a forum for fun? hah.

Thork

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »

We are here first and foremost to spread the wealth of knowledge that is FET.

Do you seriously believe someone like, say, ClockTower, would ever, EVER, post in a forum for fun? hah.
I mostly think having 3 fairly identical forums for discussing earth's shape is silly. Especially at the start when there are so few threads being made in there.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2013, 10:56:53 PM »
I mostly think having 3 fairly identical forums for discussing earth's shape is silly. Especially at the start when there are so few threads being made in there.

Let's just have one for the science side and one for the conspiracy side to reinforce that they are not the same thing. I'm fine with renovating the forums, just not putting a non-serious forum inside the serious forum section. Having a clear categorical difference between "upper" and "lower" forums is important.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2013, 11:00:21 PM »

Let's just have one for the science side and one for the conspiracy side to reinforce that they are not the same thing. I'm fine with renovating the forums, just not putting a non-serious forum inside the serious forum section. Having a clear categorical difference between "upper" and "lower" forums is important.
This is why I said have a different colour text. Again, upper and lower areas is just dogma. Why not a flat earth area and community areas?

Also we shouldn't use the FE repository. All stuff should go into the wiki. Its easier to find stuff and will help the google rank as it grows.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »
Why not a flat earth area and community areas?

It blurs the line between serious discussion and retarded antics too much.

Thork

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2013, 11:07:12 PM »
Why not a flat earth area and community areas?

It blurs the line between serious discussion and retarded antics too much.
Labelling them 'Flat Earth Debate' and 'Flat Earth Fun' would blur the lines?

Well I made my points. I just hate having the 3 and think there should be a home for all the nonsense FE stuff that isn't just general nonsense.