Offline edby

• View Profile
Re: 1/3 of millennials not sure if earth is round
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
It's 'science' and the stuff they brainwash... sorry, 'teach' in schools that is the problem. All we are seeing now is an awakening of people that are questioning things that we are told not to question. Oh but 'science' says it, therefore it MUST be true. No, its not.

As I pointed out separately, argument from authority is one of the standard logical fallacies. 'S says that p' does not logically imply that p.

We should question everything.

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2018, 04:38:42 PM »
It's 'science' and the stuff they brainwash... sorry, 'teach' in schools that is the problem. All we are seeing now is an awakening of people that are questioning things that we are told not to question. Oh but 'science' says it, therefore it MUST be true. No, its not.

As I pointed out separately, argument from authority is one of the standard logical fallacies. 'S says that p' does not logically imply that p.

It's still a rhetorical device though, so it's a valid argument. It just relies on their credibility.
Recommended reading: We Have No Idea by Jorge Cham and Daniel Whiteson

Turtle Town, a game made by my brothers and their friends, is now in private beta for the demo! Feedback so far has been mostly positive. Contact me if you would like to play.

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2018, 04:42:26 PM »

It's still a rhetorical device though, so it's a valid argument. It just relies on their credibility.

‘p is credible, therefore p’ is also invalid. There are plenty of things that are credible, but false. It is credible that the earth is flat, for example.

edby is the best person on this site. No, seriously, edby is why I stay on this site.

????

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Note that logical validity is a very strong test. An argument is logically valid if it is impossible that the premises are true, and the conclusion false.

However most of stick with 'highly improbable' rather than 'impossible'. It is indeed remotely possible that 50 different government agencies in many different countries have colluded. But highly unlikely IMO. I speak from experience (see my other comment in the conspiracy theory thread).

TID

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2018, 01:46:48 AM »
I say this all the time to people that ask me if the world is flat or round, all I say is, look to Schrodinger's cat, no one knows less about our own bit of rock than it's own inhabitants.

there are theories left right and centre, the only real way to figure this out is to travel, without planes, because if what others say is true, then north is dead centre and south is all around like a donut.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
the only real way to figure this out is to travel, without planes

Yeah, if only there was some way to do that...

???
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:09 AM »
the only real way to figure this out is to travel, without planes

Yeah, if only there was some way to do that...

???

Yeah I wonder????

We been doing for a few thousand years, its called walking! And occasionally sailing!!!!

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.

TID

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 05:40:41 PM »
yeah, but would anyone really do that?

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »
yeah, but would anyone really do that?

What keep on sailing until you can go no further??

Yep we been doing that for hundreds of years..............

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.