The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #141 on: August 27, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
Most of us don't believe in hell, so the question is moot.
Wasn't Sheol basically hell during the Second Temple period? What happened to that?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Ghost of V

« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2014, 05:15:28 PM »
Did the Hall of cost really happen?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
Well, some of us do believe in Sheol, but that is not Hell as Muslims and Christians understand the term. I personally believe in a Sheol, if you will.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Its a stupid question.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Its a stupid question.
Irrelevant.  You are the one who invited everyone to "Ask a Jew anything."  So, I guess that you're obligated to either answer the question yourself or pass it off to another Jew to answer.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
Neither I nor any other Jew is obligated to answer a retarded question. Grow up, put on your fucking big girl panties or big boy shorts, and act like an adult.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
You made the title ask a Jew anything. Stop trying to jew your way out of answering questions.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #149 on: August 27, 2014, 07:43:31 PM »
Ooh, anti-semitism at its best.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:40 PM »
Basic externalization of negative factors. Instead of admitting you're a terrible person, you'd rather think people that hate you specifically instead hate Jews in general.

also:

Is it true that Jews are greedy money-grubbers?

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
I hate when people cry anti-semitism when it isn't. Israel isn't all Jews (regardless of your opinion on it) and disliking a single Jew (without using all-jew insults) isn't anti-semitism.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »
Is racism wrong?

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2014, 10:02:31 PM »
Neither I nor any other Jew is obligated to answer a retarded question. Grow up, put on your fucking big girl panties or big boy shorts, and act like an adult.
Moving the goal posts, are we?  Maybe you should have said "Ask a Jew anything but a retarded question", but you didn't, so you're the one who needs to suck it up and remember where you are.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:30 PM »
Well, some of us do believe in Sheol, but that is not Hell as Muslims and Christians understand the term. I personally believe in a Sheol, if you will.
My (very limited) understanding is that the original understanding of Sheol was the abode of the dead to which all people eventually go, regardless of how good or evil they were; but it seems like later on (the Second Temple period) this interpretation was altered to suggest that Sheol is divided into compartments for the good and evil. Is this inaccurate?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »
PIZA, as far as I am aware, that is inaccurate. But the problem is the following. Judeo-Christian understandings of the afterlife were, as you are no doubt aware, heavily influenced by two things: Zoroastrianism from Persia, and Grecian philosophy. In fact, Judaism developed ideas of Hades, which as you no doubt also know was the Greek abode of the dead, also where people were neither happy nor unhappy.

Judaisam and Christianity were both influenced by the Greeks, but Christians followed that up with HEAVY Roman thinking, especially in the West. We Jews got a lot less of that. To this day, most Jews do not acknowledge a hell-like place or region.

But that is not universal. Little in Judaism is. Some Jews do believe in Hell, albeit a minority. I would say the majority of us do believe in an Afterlife, but I have known some who don't. And even those of us who do don't worry about it all that much. Where we end up is rather irrelevant in the end. The fundamental fact is that, with or without an Afterlife, the Law of Moses must still be followed.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2014, 01:19:07 AM »
If I wrote a book, titled it "Judaism is bad, mmkay? By: God" would you be forced to follow its every whim?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2014, 01:54:54 AM »
Its a stupid question.
Why are you afraid of answering the question though? A simple yes or no would do.
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2014, 02:39:43 AM »
IRUSH, I would be forced to conclude that you are an idiot, not that I haven't already, but... Beardo, ok, I'll deal with the question, stupid though it may be. Do Jews have that reputation? Yes, they do. Is there a cause? Yes. In an age where Jews could be and often were forced to leave countries they had lived in for centuries (England, 1290, Spain, 1492, Portugal, 1493, various parts of Russia on a regular basis throughout the years on up into the early 20th century, the same with parts of Poland and Lithuania, etc), they very quickly learned to keep as much of their monetary wealth in liquid assets as possible. What this fundamentally meant was keeping it in gold and other precious metal, jewels, and paper money and coin.

What it comes down to, is you can't carry land! Anyone stupid enough to keep land was going to lose it when they next were forced to move. If you kept your shit in portable wealth, you could move from say, Russia to America, and still land on your feet when you got here.

I don't know why this question isn't obvious. I mean, seriously, how hard can this be to figure out? But, any way, that's the best answer I can give. It has nothing to do with Jews wanting more money than the next guy. It has to do with our tendency of being told to leave a place with only what we can carry. So, we learned to carry our wealth, if any. We also got damn good and helping out our own. If one Jew is in need, other Jews will usually help him. That's just the way it is. We work that way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:45:25 AM by Yaakov ben Avraham »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »
Is there anybody here, apart from you, who isn't an idiot?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:44:52 AM by Alexandyr »
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.