Offline rooster

• View Profile
Lena Dunham Molestation
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/lena-dunham-responds-to-sex-abuse-claims?s=mobile

It looks like people are upset about an alleged 7 year old child experimenting with her younger sister.

Personally,  I think you have to look at these things case by case where the ages and intent are really important. Sexually curiosity is normal behavior but at what point does it become abuse?

Typically you do this kind of exploration with kids your age and it's a mutual curiosity, this sounds like she knowingly took advantage of her younger sister.

Ghost of V

Re: Lena Dunham Molestation
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:47:17 PM »
It's not like they can press charges. I think it's sick regardless. I've never had any urge to do something like that, and I have an older sister (and yes, we were kind of close).

Isn't having thoughts about mating or experimenting with your siblings biologically wrong to begin with? I thought most people were naturally not attracted to their family members.

*PP2 rooster joke goes here*
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:52:13 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:14 PM »
I honestly don't know. My brothers are 10 and 7 years older than me and we never did anything remotely like that. But I don't know if that's cause they were my brothers or because of the big age differences.

I only played doctor and whatever with boys my age.

I think it's the age difference and the power play that really makes this fucked up. It's normal for her to have been curious but to knowingly take advantage of someone so much younger just seems like abuse.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:54:01 PM by rooster »

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 04:03:57 AM »
That shit is fucked up, she abused the hell out her sister. Your brothers are cool. That bitch is a cunt, nasty skanky cunt.
God is real.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 04:14:25 AM »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 12:54:32 AM »
Of course the right-wing rags will be oversensationalizing and twisting the story - that's what they do.  But at the same time, Lena Dunham really is a vapid idiot, and she has never once contributed anything of value to the national discourse.  It would be nice if she just sort of faded back into obscurity again.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »
Who's Lena Dunham??

?

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 06:31:15 AM »
Who thinks "oh I'll just write about doing fucked up perverse things to my little sister" and then expects no critical backslash?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
Blanko shows how cool and so-not-into-celebrities he is

Also this is pretty weird, so...
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
Well there is this article in Dunham's defense. But honestly, I'm not aware of it being normal to check out your much younger siblings. However, I do not have any younger siblings. But I sure as shit know my brothers didn't do anything like this.

Also... there is no way a one year old could put 6-7 pebbles in their vagina. And it's even less likely that a parent would be able to easily remove them.

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-lena-dunham-is-no-child-molester-20141104-column.html

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 06:53:03 PM »
I didn't do anything with my younger sister either. But yeah, that's just 2 people.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
For me, this is just an honest appraisal of a childhood. I don't think these actions would be particularly rare. Admitting to them later in life is rare.

Because of the huge taboo about incest and sex with minors most people would never mention this. Ever. But I wonder how unsurprising this might really be.

If I look at any mammal, there aren't any rules to sex. They do what they can get away with. Bonobos screw anything that moves, dogs use sex as a sign of domination, chimps wank each other off, and none of them are worried about the age of the 'victim'. Pop a hamster in a cage with his 5 sisters and he's not going to be deterred.

I don't find sibling incest very eyebrow raising. Similar ages, close proximity, both as ugly or as good looking as one another, and there is an argument that you are attracted to people with similar genetic traits. Siblings separated at birth and meeting much later in life and falling in love is something that makes headlines but happens way more than you might expect. Yes, you aren't supposed to have sex with your siblings in a 'healthy society' but actually the odds of a deformed baby are incredibly low. Sex with a cousin only raises the odds of a genetic defect by 4% over the normal population. Sex with a sibling 7%-31% over normal. But considering how low the risk is normally, its a tiny risk. Looking back to our cave people ancestors, you'd likely find a lot of it. Small nomadic populations, no rules, no law.

Regarding abuse, who would remember someone peering into their vagina aged one? A doctor might do that if you are ill.

I think the backlash is that people expect each other to be citizens, not creatures. To abide all rules regardless of curiosity, sexual impulse or sense of mischief. Religion could help prevent such things. If a child feels God is watching them all the time, they may refrain from doing something naughty. Without God, ... your odds of nothing like this ever happening when the kids are alone diminishes.

Think past the law, think past the morality, think past the rules and expectation of society. Kids aren't born with those concepts. Imagine 2 cave children left alone. Would they ever do this?

I'd offer sibling incest isn't a natural no-no. More of a preference should other suitable mates not be around. And abuse is something that pervades the mammalian world. I wouldn't call a 7 year old that did this disgusting. It doesn't shock me as unnatural or unexplained.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 08:08:26 PM by Thork »

Ghost of V

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
tl;dr

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:18 PM »
Goddamn. For once I actually agree with Thork on something like this. Couldn't have put it a whole lot better myself.

Offline Foxbox

• We live inside a dream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 08:50:44 PM »
Goddamn. For once I actually agree with Thork on something like this. Couldn't have put it a whole lot better myself.

I agree as well.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
It sounds more like thork didn't read the article, he only read the thread and then made a comment based on that. While what Thork said isn't necessarily wrong, I wouldn't say it is entirely relevant. This is a lot worse than some curious incest, made worse by the fact the author described herself as molesting her sibling.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »
To some extent, I agree. But unfortunately, Lena saw her sister as an extension of herself and that she can do what she wants with her. This is where parenting should have stepped in to establish boundaries, but it doesn't seem like that happened which is great for setting up a dysfunctional family.

Lena is very public. Her sister Grace is very private and also gay. I just wonder if she would have turned out differently if her sister wasn't probing her vagina.
And I think the "bribing" happened when they got older and the sister seems to remember those incidents. Which is terrible because it teaches the sister that her affection can be bought.

As a reference on the age: One of my brothers is 7 years older than me which is just a 1 year difference from these sisters. When we were really little, my brother was busy hanging out with friends his own age. It doesn't seem like a big age gap now but to kids that's pretty substantial.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:10:29 PM by rooster »

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:45 PM »
It sounds more like thork didn't read the article, he only read the thread and then made a comment based on that. While what Thork said isn't necessarily wrong, I wouldn't say it is entirely relevant. This is a lot worse than some curious incest, made worse by the fact the author described herself as molesting her sibling.

I think the self reference as a sexual predator has more to do with her writing style than an serious appraisal of herself.  I might be wrong, but having watched "Girls" and reading those tweets, that was the impression I got.  It was a stupid fucking thing to write, but the degree to which she is getting crucified is totally unwarranted, considering she was a 7 year old at the time (refer to Thork's insightful post again).  Tight-ass Americans need to chill.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:51 PM »
What Rama Sed. It came off as really dark humour. Probably not wise, but I don't really take it into account when thinking about what she did.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »
I don't think it's straight rape or anything that extreme but it is inappropriate and something a child of that age should have been taught not to do.

Obviously children do things outside of social acceptability until taught otherwise. Kids don'the know any better but when you see them abusing animals then you teach that kid that it's not okay to kick a dogs. She should not have been manipulating her sister and buying her affection at the age of 7+.

I would say it's normal curiosity that was allowed to grow into abnormal manipulation and touching.

And I'm using abnormal in terms of our cultural. It's natural for humans to be filthy animals that are violent and greedy but this seems abnormal for suburban white kids.

And depending on how long that was allowed to continue, it must have had some negative effects on her sister at least in terms of perceived self-worth.

But also, she totally shouldn't have compared herself to a sexual predator. That was completely stupid and insensitive on her part, particularly for such an outspoken feminist.