Re: Trump
« Reply #2320 on: October 05, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
puerto ricans are latino.  racists don't like latinos.  there is nothing even remotely controversial about those two sentences.

You just don't like that he's turning a rational eye to your dogma. Hey, what's the email for the president of race relations?

hitlerwastheonlyracist@hotmail.com
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: October 09, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/09/politics/pence-trump-indianapolis/index.html

I'm not even going to mock Pence for being a weak snowflake or anything, because it would distract from the fact that he and Trump wasted all this time and taxpayer money on a stupid publicity stunt designed to sow divisions and pander to their base. Also, Trump knows who the real victim of the hurricane is - himself:

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: October 10, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »
Is Trump aware that, unlike the fake consequences of reality TV, what he says and does -- and what he directs his vice president to say and do -- has very real impacts on the country? Maybe. Will that change his behavior? Almost certainly not.
Ah, yes, the very severe and real consequences of a man walking out of an NFL game
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:20 PM »
Is Trump aware that, unlike the fake consequences of reality TV, what he says and does -- and what he directs his vice president to say and do -- has very real impacts on the country? Maybe. Will that change his behavior? Almost certainly not.
Ah, yes, the very severe and real consequences of a man walking out of an NFL game

Didn't you say the same thing about Trump's shitposting?

Oh look... real consequences:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/10/556764495/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-players-cannot-disrespect-flag
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:11:49 PM by Lord Dave »
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: October 10, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »
Yes, and outside of a few media outlets thinking Twitter is srs bsns, nothing has changed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/10/10/556764495/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-players-cannot-disrespect-flag
Someone did something that an influential group considers offensive (rightly or wrongly) and their boss told them to stop. Oh, the humanity. Consequences will never be the same.

Oh, and it happened in football. Blimey, this may be even more consequential than an old man's trolling on Twitter. Best declare a state of emergency.

As an aside, surely repressing people's freedom of expression over the fear of causing offence is a leftist's utopia?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:18:59 PM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #2325 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:36 PM »
speaking of things that have no actual consequences: sitting down during a song.

thank god this has the full attention of the federal government.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: October 10, 2017, 03:04:23 PM »
speaking of things that have no actual consequences: sitting down during a song.
I don't disagree - I'm strongly on the "anything goes" side of the free speech debate. It's just particularly funny to see Democrats get what they've been asking for all these years and not enjoy it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: October 10, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
Yes, and outside of a few media outlets thinking Twitter is srs bsns, nothing has changed.
Uhh... you haven't seen how literally every world leader is reading his tweets and reacting to them?  Trump's diplomatic teams are putting out the political fires every time he tweets something bad.  And you can't really blame the media since it's not like they're writing tweets he isn't making.  Nor is it difficult for any world leader to read what he tweets.

Someone did something that an influential group considers offensive (rightly or wrongly) and their boss told them to stop. Oh, the humanity. Consequences will never be the same.

Oh, and it happened in football. Blimey, this may be even more consequential than an old man's trolling on Twitter. Best declare a state of emergency.
Did you read the article?  Said owner went from "Yeah, I'll kneel with ya!" to "Kneel and you're out of the game".  Right after Pence walked out and Trump tweeted how NFL players should be punished.  And given how much attention it's getting from the president of the United States, yeah, it's a big deal.  It shouldn't be but that's what happens when one of the most powerful and influential people on the planet focuses on something: it becomes a big deal.

As an aside, surely repressing people's freedom of expression over the fear of causing offence is a leftist's utopia?
Yeah but this isn't fear of causing offense, it's intentionally causing offense by not being Politically Correct, which is a right's utopia yeah?

I don't disagree - I'm strongly on the "anything goes" side of the free speech debate. It's just particularly funny to see Democrats get what they've been asking for all these years and not enjoy it.
Ok... I have no idea what this actually means.  What have they gotten that they've been asking for all these years?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: October 10, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
Ok... I have no idea what this actually means.  What have they gotten that they've been asking for all these years?

Apparently Democrats have been clamouring to repress freedom of expression over the fear of causing offence. Just clamouring in general for that general idea. That was my favourite Obama speech.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: October 10, 2017, 08:21:17 PM »
Uhh... you haven't seen how literally every world leader is reading his tweets and reacting to them?  Trump's diplomatic teams are putting out the political fires every time he tweets something bad.  And you can't really blame the media since it's not like they're writing tweets he isn't making.  Nor is it difficult for any world leader to read what he tweets.
Right. Well, we've had this conversation more times than I care to recall. I doubt either of us will have anything new to say about it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah but this isn't fear of causing offense, it's intentionally causing offense by not being Politically Correct, which is a right's utopia yeah?
And, as I already said, I'm of the opinion that they should have the right to do it. Just, y'know, don't be surprised if after years of pushing for political censorship it eventually becomes a reality. We've been warning you this would happen.

A cultural paradigm shift under which saying and doing offensive things is a big boo-boo. As far as I'm concerned, you should be allowed to kneel before, or on the flag, during the national anthem, to protest whatever the hell you wish. Then again, as far as I'm concerned you should also be allowed to take a dump on the flag, then set it on fire, then realise that flags aren't very flammable, and then flush it down your toilet.

Apparently Democrats have been clamouring to repress freedom of expression over the fear of causing offence. Just clamouring in general for that general idea. That was my favourite Obama speech.
Yes, unfortunately such shifts are not realistically restrictable to just a small set of cases. You either do it across the board or you don't do it at all. I'm going to carry on siding with the latter, but I will have no sympathy to supporters of the former who are now affected by their own ideas.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:31:01 PM by Pete Svarrior »

« Reply #2330 on: October 11, 2017, 12:01:41 AM »
A cultural paradigm shift under which saying and doing offensive things is a big boo-boo.

that's literally always been a thing.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: October 11, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »
A cultural paradigm shift under which saying and doing offensive things is a big boo-boo.

that's literally always been a thing.

No, liberals invented being offended. In other news:

ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: October 12, 2017, 09:35:29 PM »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Rama Set

« Reply #2333 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »
I'm not sure what you were expecting. Consistency? Integrity?  You're barking up the wrong tree.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: October 13, 2017, 04:48:33 AM »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: October 13, 2017, 11:24:21 PM »
So about that whole disrespecting the flag thing.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-sits-talks-through-song-lowering-the-flag-at-military-base-amid-nfl-anthem-controversy/article/2637296

There is no expectation relating to decorum for civilians or armed services members who are indoors during the Retreat ceremony, in any branch of the military.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: October 14, 2017, 04:45:55 AM »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-sits-talks-through-song-lowering-the-flag-at-military-base-amid-nfl-anthem-controversy/article/2637296

There is no expectation relating to decorum for civilians or armed services members who are indoors during the Retreat ceremony, in any branch of the military.

Literally the second paragraph.
Uniformed service members are required to stop what they're doing and salute the flag as its lowered during the song while civilians are required to place their hand over their heart.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: October 14, 2017, 05:22:39 AM »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: October 14, 2017, 08:14:43 AM »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: October 14, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »

Literally the second paragraph.
Uniformed service members are required to stop what they're doing and salute the flag as its lowered during the song while civilians are required to place their hand over their heart.

That is for outdoor only. Surely you do not get all of your news from the fake Washington Post, do you?