Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
Re: Unipolar, bipolar, disc, square, infinite plane?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 05:27:42 AM »
You say that the distances are indisputable proof, yet you have never gone there, nor have you measured them.  You have been taught that the distances are facts, and so your closed mind doesn't question that.
The distances are facts because the cartographers told me so.  Who are you to tell the cartographer that he's wrong?

No one is claiming the cartographers are unequivocally wrong.  We are claiming that it is foolish to blindly assume they're right without doing any sort of inquiry yourself.  As Pizza said...

Be inquisitive.

For my part, I don't know how far it is from the Falklands to Australia, nor do I care.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 08:02:46 AM »
What inquiry should an individual undertake? There is no evidence that round earth distances are wrong.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 03:58:34 PM »
No one is claiming the cartographers are unequivocally wrong.  We are claiming that it is foolish to blindly assume they're right without doing any sort of inquiry yourself. 
I'm sorry, but I don't see much difference between those two statements.  What reason should I have for not believing the cartographer's distances when my car's odometer confirms that a random smattering of distances are correct?

For my part, I don't know how far it is from the Falklands to Australia, nor do I care.
If you don't know or don't care, then what right do you have to question the official RE distance?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 04:43:13 PM »
If you don't know or don't care, then what right do you have to question the official RE distance?

I didn't.  Inquisitive did.

How do you explain the measured distances between places fitting in with a flat earth?  eg. Falklands to Australia.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 05:42:49 PM »

How do you explain the measured distances between places fitting in with a flat earth?  eg. Falklands to Australia.
Not the way that I read it.  As near as I can tell, Inquisitive is questioning the FET distance from the Falklands to Australia, not the official RET distance.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 07:16:13 PM »

Not the way that I read it.  As near as I can tell, Inquisitive is questioning the FET distance from the Falklands to Australia, not the official RET distance.
Correct, what is the FET distance, approximately?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 08:20:19 PM »

Missing the point.  Inquisitive is the one questioning distances at all, not me.

Correct, what is the FET distance, approximately?

Once again:

...because I'm not the one asking.  I'm not a cartographer.  Are you claiming that the distance between the two would be different on a flat earth than it is on a spherical one? 

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 08:23:49 PM »
Think about it.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
Think about it.

Do you actually know what you're claiming, or are you just trying to run the conversation in circles? 

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Think about it.

Do you actually know what you're claiming, or are you just trying to run the conversation in circles?
Draw 5 random points on a piece of paper and then on a ball. See if you can get the distances between each one and the others to be the same. Do not put them in a straight line or circle.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 11:08:40 PM »
Think about it.

Draw 5 random points on a piece of paper and then on a ball. See if you can get the distances between each one and the others to be the same. Do not put them in a straight line or circle.

Really?  If they're all random points, of course the distances won't be the same.  Neat.  Let me know when you have a point to make, this is going nowhere.

Offline markjo

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
Missing the point.  Inquisitive is the one questioning distances at all, not me.
Then why do you keep responding if you don't have any answers?

Are you claiming that the distance between the two would be different on a flat earth than it is on a spherical one? 
If spherical geometry is very different from planar geometry, then why would you expect the distances to be the same?

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 02:29:54 AM »
I cannot answer anything without a valid question.  Inquisitive is asking me the distance from the Falklands to Australia, and I answered.  I don't know.  I've asked why it mattered, and I'm getting doubletalk and vague answers in response and I'm not certain Inquisitive ever had a point to make.  Furthermore, this is a discussion board and I want to do what I can to foster active posting in the upper fora for a change.

Are you claiming that the distance between the two would be different on a flat earth than it is on a spherical one? 
If spherical geometry is very different from planar geometry, then why would you expect the distances to be the same?

Again - I didn't say that I would, I'm merely trying to nail down the crux of the claim.  It seems Inquisitive should change his or her name to Evasive.

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »

As the distances would be different and we know exact distances between places that are on a spherical earth it is not possible to draw a flat earth map using verified data.

Falklands to Australia is probably the best example, it is not via the North Pole.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
Inquisitive, you still have not proved that the distance from the Falklands to Australia is correct on a Round Earth. 

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2014, 12:18:50 PM »
Inquisitive, you still have not proved that the distance from the Falklands to Australia is correct on a Round Earth.
What is the distance on a flat earth, please provide a map or diagram?

Are you seriously suggesting that distances proved by flights across the world are wrong? One example please.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 12:31:26 PM »
One example please.

Falklands to Australia. 

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »
One example please.

Falklands to Australia.
Details please to explain.

Offline Tintagel

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »

As the distances would be different and we know exact distances between places that are on a spherical earth it is not possible to draw a flat earth map using verified data.

Falklands to Australia is probably the best example, it is not via the North Pole.

If you contend that flights from the falklands to Australia would travel across the north pole on the monopolar map, that's just silly.  Navigation uses the lines of latitude and longitude, because that's the way instruments work.  To verify this, use a compass.  Moreover, very few flights travel over the north pole even in the northern hemidisc.  It seems ridiculous to want to travel to two southern hemidisc locations via the north pole.   Also, since you refuse to research your own question, I went and did a search for flights from Sydney to MPD in the Falklands, and couldn't find any evidence that any airline actually makes that flight, so your hypothetical route distance has no grounds.

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 05:00:19 PM »
Clearly direct distances are different between 2 places on a flat earth compared with a spherical one.

How about Paris to Honk Kong on a flat earth map compared with the accepted, verified spherical distance.  Based on the fact that nobody disputes spherical distances.