Re: Flat Earth view of longitude?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »
Here is the journal of Captain Cook:
https://books.google.com/books?id=B0YHAwAAQBAJ&pg=PR13&dq=captain+cook%27s+logs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje67j9ptLWAhWG-VQKHWv3BFYQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q=captain%20cook's%20logs&f=false

Includes latitude observations for most days of his journey.

Every ship in the Royal Navy made similar observations.

Is latitude a thing that you agree with or not?

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
Re: Flat Earth view of longitude?
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Here is the journal of Captain Cook:
https://books.google.com/books?id=B0YHAwAAQBAJ&pg=PR13&dq=captain+cook%27s+logs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwje67j9ptLWAhWG-VQKHWv3BFYQ6AEILTAB#v=onepage&q=captain%20cook's%20logs&f=false

Includes latitude observations for most days of his journey.

Every ship in the Royal Navy made similar observations.

Is latitude a thing that you agree with or not?

Tom Bishop claims that the position of the sun in the sky is strongly altered by his "magic perspective" thing.  This would hugely distort measurements of latitude - so it's hard to guess how it would turn out.

Sailors know that the length of one degree of latitude is a constant (60 nautical miles...by definition).  But Tom's magic perspective would distort that measurement - and as far as I can tell this would make navigation using the sun more or less impossible.

At the very least, the books they used to teach captains and navigators would have to include the math for "magic perspective"...and they don't.

The 'bipolar' map has pretty curved lines for both latitude and longitude - but if they aren't straight - then they can't represent the definitions of latitude and longitude in an FE world - so these maps are pretty meaningless.

But since "magic perspective" is magical - all bets are off until Tom finally tells us where the photons go.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?