Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: REQUEST FOR COMMENTS: Reunification Proposal
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »
Are you going to do this on an individual-by-individual basis, or based on usernames (or something else)?
We will most likely ask people to tell us which accounts they'd like merged closer to the date. A brief look at what's possible suggests that we should be able to merge existing accounts as well as attribute posts from deleted accounts to users (e.g. Thork's old posts). But, of course, we won't do anything people wouldn't want, so an individual basis sounds safest.

Awesome. :]
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
No one seems to have commented on Daniel's running of all the merch. A task he has failed at repeatedly and as mentioned is a source of major embarrassment. Can't we make 3rd partying it a part of the negotiation? He obviously finds it a chore anyway, which is why he does it so infrequently.

I hate it that someone who puts so little in, is leader forever. I don't think I'm going to win that argument. I just think its wrong that someone who hasn't bothered with the society since its first year still runs it 9 years later. How do you ever get rid of such a person? The only answer we found was to go elsewhere.
Why are you so intnt on thowing out the owner of the website. Did you throw kids out of their own sandboxes when you were a child? So you could be the boss. If Daniel wanted to give away his rights and oownership, he would have done it. Everyone should work together to make the best FE website that we can. If you don't like Daniels, then start another new FE website and see if yours is better.
God is real.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
Are you going to do this on an individual-by-individual basis, or based on usernames (or something else)?
We will most likely ask people to tell us which accounts they'd like merged closer to the date. A brief look at what's possible suggests that we should be able to merge existing accounts as well as attribute posts from deleted accounts to users (e.g. Thork's old posts). But, of course, we won't do anything people wouldn't want, so an individual basis sounds safest.

We would probably do it based on usernames as well, especially since otherwise we'd end up with multiple accounts that have the same name, and that would be really confusing. People with different usernames would certainly be handled on a case-by-case basis, though.

Edit: I'm actually working on the code to merge the forums at the moment. Once I have something that seems to work well, I'll post the details of the merge logic in advance of the actual merge so that people can raise any concerns with the merging strategy. So if you're concerned about us merging accounts you don't want merged, we're not just going to dump a new forum on you without telling you what's coming.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:45:49 PM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2014, 12:20:34 AM »
Can I not have an alt of the same username?
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2014, 12:50:13 AM »
Can I not have an alt of the same username?
No. You would have no way to choose which account you'd be logging in to, since your username is the only way to choose.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2014, 12:53:20 AM »
What about the spambot/DoS accounts?  Will they get merged too?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2014, 12:57:09 AM »
What about the spambot/DoS accounts?  Will they get merged too?
We'll purge what we can, i.e. hopefully everything. The recent spambots are all 0-post accounts with very clear characteristics, so we should be able to do it manually. There might be some old spam posts on the other forum that would probably be merged as parts of ancient threads, but we should be able to delete the accounts and stop new ones from appearing.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2014, 03:59:38 AM »
I also do not see a need for the ZC. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
I'm still not even sure what it does or why it's necessary. It just seems like a weird, political, Thork (did he even come up with it? it seems like something he would) brainchild with no real purpose.

My understanding of the ZC is that it's supposed to be a group which can be depended upon to actually do things. To be an official group which is actually online when you need them and can get shit done when it's necessary. To keep track of official membership and the store (if Daniel ever gave up on it), and to take the lead in things like the Wiki or Tintagel's annotated ENaG.

The current incarnation of the ZC has been an abject failure, due to the apathy of several of its members and of the forum as a whole. But I think it's probably a useful group if we design it right.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24:42 AM »
Can we please wait to talk about the ZC until after this issue is settled?  It's more important now that we decide, as a forum, whether or not we agree to merge.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:04:38 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2014, 04:41:10 AM »
Reunion please.
The Mastery.

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »
I also share Thork's concern about the merchandise, but with no one here haven taken up the merch role I suppose it's moot. Let the merger begin.

Edit:  I just saw the T-shirt thread.  I like that idea much better than Daniel running the merchandise.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:53:19 PM by DuckDodgers »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
I also share Thork's concern about the merchandise, but with no one here haven taken up the merch role I suppose it's moot. Let the merger begin.

ayy lmao

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 07:24:19 PM »
I vote that we go ahead with reunification, if for no other reason than to piss Thork off.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 07:48:52 PM »
It looks like we have an overwhelming majority approval, judging from the tone of this thread. Is that good enough? Should we have a poll or something to be sure? I can see if I can get the ZC to actually do something if that'll be useful.

Pizaa, do you need anything in particular from us to make this happen?
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 08:00:09 PM »
As explained in the OP, the discussion will be open at least until 7 days have elapsed. Assuming there are no major conflicts by then, we'll move to a vote.

Thork

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
@Pizaa

What of the concerns? Merchandising, web control, membership, etc?

Are you just looking to get a general yes and push through without addressing these, or will you go back with the community concerns and try to renegotiate?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:31 PM »
The majority of us seem to be in favor of proceeding with the merge, although there are still a few more days for other people to weigh in.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2014, 09:25:32 PM »
What of the concerns? Merchandising, web control, membership, etc?
We're addressing them as they're brought up. You brought your concerns up months ago, and they've been addressed. Restating them over and over and crying won't change that.

Are you just looking to get a general yes and push through without addressing these, or will you go back with the community concerns and try to renegotiate?
Those accusations have also gotten pretty old. I'm not going to respond to them anymore, unless literally anyone other than Thork thinks they're justified.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:27:34 PM by pizaaplanet »

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »
I'm for the merger  :)
God is real.

Offline Pongo

• Most Educated Flat-Earther
  • Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2014, 03:16:40 PM »
The two societies' forums will be merged by way of tfes.org inheriting theflatearthsociety.org's database. The resultant forum will remain under the current administration, moderation and rules of tfes.org.

Does this mean that I will be effectively demodded?