I'm a Globe Earther, Ask Me Anything!
« on: April 06, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
Greetings fellow flat earthers!  I have a fairly strong background in science and I would like to provide an opportunity to for people to ask me questions in regards to main stream science that they don't understand or is in conflict with how they view the world.  It is my goal to be as respectful to people as possible and to help people understand scientific principals.  My area of expertise is in general chemistry and physics, so that will likely be the approach I take in offering explanations.  I will make every effort to be clear and accurate in what I say and I'll let you know if I don't feel confident in my understanding in a particular topic so I don't lead people astray.  But for the most part, I should be able to provide a response for most of the topics I heard flat earthers discuss in videos on youtube.  Alright Flat Earth Society, Ask Me Anything!  :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 11:03:51 PM by cedarpools »

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a Globe Earther, Ask Me Anything!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:23:26 AM »
Greetings fellow flat earthers!  I have a fairly strong background in science and I would like to provide an opportunity to for people to ask me questions in regards to main stream science that they don't understand or is in conflict with how they view the world.  It is my goal to be as respectful to people as possible and to help people understand scientific principals.  My area of expertise is in general chemistry and physics, so that will likely be the approach I take in offering explanations.  I will make every effort to be clear and accurate in what I say and I'll let you know if I don't feel confident in my understanding in a particular topic so I don't lead people astray.  But for the most part, I should be able to provide a response for most of the topics I heard flat earthers discuss in videos on youtube.  Alright Flat Earth Society, Ask Me Anything!  :)

Hi! I’ve got one for you:

It is well known that the three body problem in central force Newtonian dynamics has no analytical solution. How is it that round earthers can claim to understand orbits in our solar system, and claim to have visited the moon using that knowledge when no analytic solution exists? The solar system has 9 bodies, which does not include all the moons. How can we know 9 when we don’t even have 3?

Asking for a friend.
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

We try to represent FET in a model-agnostic way

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 12:50:38 AM »

Hi! I’ve got one for you:

It is well known that the three body problem in central force Newtonian dynamics has no analytical solution. How is it that round earthers can claim to understand orbits in our solar system, and claim to have visited the moon using that knowledge when no analytic solution exists? The solar system has 9 bodies, which does not include all the moons. How can we know 9 when we don’t even have 3?

Asking for a friend.

So, as it appears to me, it looks like it's a matter concerning method of calculation.  An analytical solution is one that explicitly denotes the solution.  For example, the analytical solution of the integral of x2 is x3/3+c.  This can also be solved numerically using Riemann Sums within a given degree of accuracy (depending on the step size).  So the fact that an analytical solution doesn't exist for a 3 body problem doesn't mean that other solutions don't exist for the three body system.  Computers are used to make the necessary calculations to predict the paths of astral bodies.  You can read up on the differences of analytical and numerical solutions here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 02:51:07 AM by cedarpools »

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:33:46 AM »
I see. So computers can achieve numerical solutions, and we can use those solutions to make predictions about orbits, etc.

Does the fact that we cannot find an analytical solution mean in any that the theory must somehow be wrong?

I mean, shouldn’t a correct theory have an analytical solution?
The fact.that it's an old equation without good.demonstration of the underlying mechamism behind it makes.it more invalid, not more valid!

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 04:58:29 AM »
Oh...you seems to come here to prove something....But all of us(who joined)know the basis of the world(just like you). We don’t need any way to solve any problems. “Flat earth”just like a religion(I think) ,we came here to doubt NASA, we came here to doubt modern science, we came here to doubt the whole world!
We are not idiots! :) :)

I am chinese(live in south Korea). English is not very well,sorry. :)

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
I see. So computers can achieve numerical solutions, and we can use those solutions to make predictions about orbits, etc.

Does the fact that we cannot find an analytical solution mean in any that the theory must somehow be wrong?

I mean, shouldn’t a correct theory have an analytical solution?

First of all, fact that there isn't a known analytical solution for the three body problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It just means that its currently not known.  For example, the relationship of energy and mass (E=mc2) wasn't known before Einstein, but that relationship still existed before its discovery.  If, however, there were a solid mathematical proof that shows it doesn't exist, then that would be a different story.  Secondly, if an analytical solution doesn't exist, it would just be a matter of math, and the bodies would still exist in three-space; their motion is determined by their initial velocity and forces acting on them.  This is explained by Newton's laws 1-3.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 08:58:53 AM by cedarpools »

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 08:51:43 AM »
Oh...you seems to come here to prove something....But all of us(who joined)know the basis of the world(just like you). We don’t need any way to solve any problems. “Flat earth”just like a religion(I think) ,we came here to doubt NASA, we came here to doubt modern science, we came here to doubt the whole world!
We are not idiots! :) :)

I am chinese(live in south Korea). English is not very well,sorry. :)

No problem, thank you for your time to contribute to the discussion.  My main objective is to clear up misunderstandings of science that I commonly hear as evidence to support a flat earth.  If you're going to use bits of science as evidence, it would be best to make sure that it's sound evidence.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 05:45:57 AM »
I'm a bit disappointed that there hasn't been much activity on this forum.  I've heard that most flat earthers initially tried to debunk flat earth, but were unable to.  Well, this is your chance to ask a scientist about anything science and globe earth related.  I'm somewhat passionate about this and would love to engage with the flat earth community here and/or one-on-one.  Hit me up.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 12:29:08 PM »
Perhaps you have seen the article 200 proofs that the Earth is not a globe. Google it and give it a read.

What you could do is start posts where you address each one.

This is the article that probably most FEers would point to as being convincing. Hence, if you addressed its claims you might start some robust discussion.

I’d certainly play devils advocate for ya.

BTW, don’t feel bad. I’m a scientist too, and get the same response. When an expert shows up here, the confidence and bravado that is normally present in FE debates seems to hide for some reason.

Of course, I can be kind of a dick, which doesn’t help really :)

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 02:20:23 PM »
Someone already made a solid start to a 200 proofs rebuttle

https://flatearth.ws/eric-dubay#more-2238
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 05:09:54 AM »
Perhaps you have seen the article 200 proofs that the Earth is not a globe. Google it and give it a read.

This is the article that probably most FEers would point to as being convincing. Hence, if you addressed its claims you might start some robust discussion.

BTW, don’t feel bad. I’m a scientist too, and get the same response. When an expert shows up here, the confidence and bravado that is normally present in FE debates seems to hide for some reason.

200 would simply be too much for me to address, I don't have time for that.   And frankly, I'm thinking that if I were to, I wouldn't really have much of an impact on anyone.  Although, if there are any that stick out to you as particularly convincing, I'd be happy to address those.  And as ChrisTP points out, there is someone who already made a pretty big dent in the 200 "proofs." 

Spacex launced a falcon heavy to space earlier today by the way.  My question to you is why would Arabsat (Arab telecommunication company) pay SpaceX 90-150 million dollars to launch their satellite into space if this is all a conspiracy and satellites don't exist?  If the launch was all for show, that would be such a waste of money and most certainly would not be in their interest to do so.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 07:41:36 AM by cedarpools »

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »

200 would simply be too much for me to address, I don't have time for that.   And frankly, I'm thinking that if I were to, I wouldn't really have much of an impact on anyone.  Although, if there are any that stick out to you as particularly convincing, I'd be happy to address those.  And as ChrisTP points out, there is someone who already made a pretty big dent in the 200 "proofs." 

Spacex launced a falcon heavy to space earlier today by the way.  My question to you is why would Arabsat (Arab telecommunication company) pay SpaceX 90-150 million dollars to launch their satellite into space if this is all a conspiracy and satellites don't exist?  If the launch was all for show, that would be such a waste of money and most certainly would not be in their interest to do so.

Well, arabsat supposedly paid that much. Did you actually see the money exchange hands? We don’t necessarily know exactly what their interests are. If they’re willing to stage rocket launches, and participate in lying to the public, perhaps their interests are not so transparent.

Indeed, considering all of NASA, including all its employees, which must include the families of these employees, and the related agencies in the government, all those employees and their families, are involved in the biggest conspiracy of all time, it is not difficult to imagine that arabsat is involved too.

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2019, 01:53:16 AM »

Well, arabsat supposedly paid that much. Did you actually see the money exchange hands? We don’t necessarily know exactly what their interests are. If they’re willing to stage rocket launches, and participate in lying to the public, perhaps their interests are not so transparent.

Indeed, considering all of NASA, including all its employees, which must include the families of these employees, and the related agencies in the government, all those employees and their families, are involved in the biggest conspiracy of all time, it is not difficult to imagine that arabsat is involved too.

In the case of large projects like funding a rocket launch, money doesn't literally change hands in the form of cash, it's usually wired.  Lets assume that they didn't pay or paid spacex a substantially reduced amount.  Why would spacex, a private for profit company, dump millions of dollars into launching a rocket into space?  Moreover, why would dozens of venture capitalists dump millions of dollars into funding a company that is just for show.  They're explicit interest it so make money.  Why would Jeff Bezos, one of the most successful people of the century, privately fund his own space company?  Its because the commercial space industry has the potential to make trillions! 

On the subject of conspiracy and lying to the public, why hasn't a NASA employee leaked the truth if the earth is truly flat?  Everyone who works at NASA goes in strongly believing the earth is a sphere.  I know this because that's what they teach in the universities across the nation.  Imagine how disillusioned they would be when they find out the "truth."  There would surely be a whistle blower and it would be all over the news.  You may say that the news would cover it up, but to that I would ask why they didn't cover up Snowden's whistle blowing?

More on satellites: here's a guy who takes professional photographs of satellites.  This is also something you can do yourself with the proper equipment and conditions.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 02:08:10 AM by cedarpools »

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2019, 04:45:31 AM »
Wow, this conspiracy of mine will need to grow to become psychologically dysfunctional in its assumptions and scope.

Damn...what might motivate me to pursue this?

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2019, 09:52:48 AM »
Wow, this conspiracy of mine will need to grow to become psychologically dysfunctional in its assumptions and scope.

I'm not sure what you're saying.

Offline QED

• As mad as a hatter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »

I am being sarcastic.

- Tom Bishop

- Pete Svarrior

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 12:23:32 AM »

I am being sarcastic.

So, what do you think about the points I made about spacex funding and satellites? 

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »

I'm not a flat earther, but if I were one I would ask, how do you deal with measurement error? For example, suppose on Equinox day I measure the angle of the rising Sun with the horizon, using the latest instruments, and I get, with a confidence of seven sigma, that the angle is 90° +- 1e-15. Of course I'm mimicking the standard of scientific papers, that would never state something like "to all intent and purposes, absolutely and logically, beyond doubt, the angle is not 90°". The latter is really convincing and aligns with the well known fact that the Sun is hovering over us, but the former is not, it is actually sabotaging itself saying there there's actually the possibility of an error! (of a possilby large magnitude) How can scientists trust each other if every single statement they made is always "up to a measurement error", in particular if this proves a known falsity like globe earth?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 09:13:39 PM by Bikini Polaris »
Quote from: Pete Svarrior
these waves of smug RE'ers are temporary. Every now and then they flood us for a year or two in response to some media attention, and eventually they peter out. In my view, it's a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".