Earthquakes occur because of plate tectonics rubbing against each other and the release of built up of pressure between them. Plates at our planet's surface move because of the intense heat in the Earth's core that causes molten rock in the mantle layer to move. It moves in a pattern called a convection cell that forms when warm material rises, cools, and eventually sink down. Without this, we would not have earthquakes or mountains and the phenomenon of our continents moving would be unexplainable. I am just curious to see if the flat earth theorists have something to say on this, and how it would be possible with a flat earth.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:20:34 AM by riv3rshane »

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquakes can't exist if the world is flat, but they do exist sooo....
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
Earthquakes occur because of plate tectonics rubbing against each other and the release of built up of pressure between them. Plates at our planet's surface move because of the intense heat in the Earth's core that causes molten rock in the mantle layer to move. It moves in a pattern called a convection cell that forms when warm material rises, cools, and eventually sink down. Without this, we would not have earthquakes or mountains and the phenomenon of our continents moving would be unexplainable. I am just curious to see if the flat earth theorists have something to say on this, and how it would be possible with a flat earth.

Don't you know? The earth is on the top of an infinite stack of turtles. Whenever a turtle moves, that's an earth quake. DUH... ;)

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 06:11:14 AM »

Don't you know? The earth is on the top of an infinite stack of turtles. Whenever a turtle moves, that's an earth quake. DUH... ;)
But like really though. I think that this alone disproves it because unless there's a giant oven 6,371 kilometers under us or something (extremely improbable) I don't see how the earth can be flat, It just doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:18:42 AM by Vsauce »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 02:10:12 PM »

Refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 02:13:37 PM »

But like really though. I think that this alone disproves it because unless there's a giant oven 6,371 kilometers under us or something (extremely improbable) I don't see how the earth can be flat, It just doesn't add up.
They posit that the molten rock beneath the crust (which is known to be there) is created by the pressure and heat of the UA pressing into the bottom of the Earth. At least for a finite, infinitely accelerating Earth. I'm not sure how the infinite Earth theory works this in to be honest. They might allow it to fall under the blanket of "We don't know"

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »

They posit that the molten rock beneath the crust (which is known to be there) is created by the pressure and heat of the UA pressing into the bottom of the Earth. At least for a finite, infinitely accelerating Earth. I'm not sure how the infinite Earth theory works this in to be honest. They might allow it to fall under the blanket of "We don't know"
How does this explain Pangea?

Offline Havonii

• Rhythm of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »

How does this explain Pangea?

Yeah, there is excessive evidence that all the continents were once one (pangea) and the separation of the continents would be impossible with the FE model.
I BELIEVE IN DINOSAURS.... dinosaurs will win.

totallackey

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Without getting into a debate (as this is the incorrect forum), I am still unsure as to why you postulate earthquakes cannot exist on a flat earth.

Have you ever fried an egg and had some of the bubbles on the egg white pop? The whole egg trembles as a result.

That egg is otherwise flat and motionless in the pan.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »
Without getting into a debate (as this is the incorrect forum), I am still unsure as to why you postulate earthquakes cannot exist on a flat earth.

Have you ever fried an egg and had some of the bubbles on the egg white pop? The whole egg trembles as a result.

Ever see a subduction zone on an egg? No? What about a thrust fault? Maybe if the yolk broke, you could call that a rift?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

totallackey

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 03:58:11 PM »

Ever see a subduction zone on an egg? No? What about a thrust fault? Maybe if the yolk broke, you could call that a rift?
Again, I am attempting to comply with the forum rules and this is not debate.

Subduction zones are not necessary for earthquakes.

Thrust faults are not necessary for earthquakes.

What is your point?

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:34:36 PM »

What is your point?
Because your egg analogy was a little under cooked. (sorry - terrible pun) OP was referring to plate tectonics and I merely pointed out additional feature of PT that need to be accounted for.
-Terry50

totallackey

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 05:33:12 PM »

What is your point?
Because your egg analogy was a little under cooked. (sorry - terrible pun) OP was referring to plate tectonics and I merely pointed out additional feature of PT that need to be accounted for.
Well, that would be fine if the OP opening salvo: "Earthquakes occur because of plate tectonics rubbing against each other and the release of built up of pressure between them..." was the sole cause of earthquakes.

But plate tectonics and subduction zones are not the sole cause of earthquakes, are they now?

So my egg analogy is not as under-cooked as you would have it. As a matter of fact, it serves as a model that heat and an explosion might be the only cause at times.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

What is your point?
Well, that would be fine if the OP opening salvo: "Earthquakes occur because of plate tectonics rubbing against each other and the release of built up of pressure between them..." was the sole cause of earthquakes.

But plate tectonics and subduction zones are not the sole cause of earthquakes, are they now?

So my egg analogy is not as under-cooked as you would have it. As a matter of fact, it serves as a model that heat and an explosion might be the only cause at times.

Sigh, where did I say they were the sole cause of earthquakes? Heat and explosion = volcano.
-Terry50

totallackey

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »

What is your point?

Sigh, where did I say they were the sole cause of earthquakes? Heat and explosion = volcano.
Okay, why do I need to address subduction zones and plate tectonics when the OP opens with a false premise?

All I did was blast the false premise out of the water by offering a simple analogy.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »

What is your point?

Okay, why do I need to address subduction zones and plate tectonics when the OP opens with a false premise?

All I did was blast the false premise out of the water by offering a simple analogy.

Out of curiosity, what part of OP's premise did you blast out of the water? Specifics please.
-Terry50

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 12:38:37 PM »
I recently had a brain wave and started questioning wether it is really hot under the surface of the crust or not, i.e does it get hotter the deeper you go.

So I started researching this , and what better people to ask then miners themselves. So I went on a miners forum and it was plainly obvious( judging by there comments without actually asking directly), that it gets intensly hot the deeper you go. This is proof enough to me at this time, that at the core ( if earth is a ball ) Its extremely hot. Not exactly news to anyone!

But, This means we are either on a ball with a hot centre, or a flat plane with a lot of heat for some wierd reason underneath.

I suppose the pressure from the mass on earth is enough to put so much pressure on the mass and create heat, ( if thats how you explain the theory)  But it does not tally well in my mind with the earth being flat, alright I understand we have some earth / mud stone or whatever underneath us but how much?

And the reason why it matters is because if the earth is flat, do we have an infinaty of mass under us? or can we drill deep enough to hollow out a hole? If that was possible on a flat earth,What would it be on the 'other side' is space we drill into / water OR..............................

moulten lava?

I think its so hypothetical, that we will never find any other explanation other then the official one we have, Sadly we cannot go to the shop and buy a 8000 mile long drill bit! so we will never know.

as for earthquakes, I dont see why it could not happen on a flat earth too? perhaps certain physics would need to be re-comprehended, but well.... why not?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:42:33 PM by brinnbry022 »

totallackey

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 12:41:52 PM »
Out of curiosity, what part of OP's premise did you blast out of the water? Specifics please.
Specifically the false part.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
Of course earthquakes can exist on a flat earth. You're addressing the current theory of the mechanism of earthquakes, not the phenomenon...there's a difference. And even the current theory of earthquakes can exist on a flat earth.

Universal acceleration can explain the modern theories for earthquakes, volcanism, and plate tectonics. Why? Because as the flat earth is accelerating upwards, matter is being pressed against the matter below it due to inertia (newton's first law of motion). The bottom-most matter of flat earth (the opposite side of us) receives more force applied to it from the accumulation of mass above it. So, this bottom-most matter changes state and becomes liquid. Then, the liquidified matter at the bottom rises because it's less dense (since it's liquid). This rising magma moves the plates and causes earthquakes, creates the many rocks, and produces lava.

These things don't require a spherical earth in order to operate. We know pressure and temperature have a direct relationship, and it doesn't require a spherical earth.
Hi y'all. I am a typical GENIUS girl who does NOT follow the masses and who does NOT blindly accept what is told to me without EVIDENCE. That being said, I don't believe in a lot of "facts" (the quotations mean they're NOT actual facts) including evolution, the holocaust, and the globular earth HYPOTHESIS.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 12:33:17 AM »

I see what you are saying but... what are the bubbles on earth? Last I checked there aren't any massive bubbles slowly growing where fault lines are presumably located. I am not that well versed in other forms of natural earthquakes that cause significant seismic activity besides volcano and other explosions. Perhaps you could inform me.
It was not my intent to make this a debate. the way I see it we are having a discussion and trying to understand each other's points of view.
I apologize for not responding to so long, my wifi was down.

Of course earthquakes can exist on a flat earth. You're addressing the current theory of the mechanism of earthquakes, not the phenomenon...there's a difference. And even the current theory of earthquakes can exist on a flat earth.

Universal acceleration can explain the modern theories for earthquakes, volcanism, and plate tectonics. Why? Because as the flat earth is accelerating upwards, matter is being pressed against the matter below it due to inertia (newton's first law of motion). The bottom-most matter of flat earth (the opposite side of us) receives more force applied to it from the accumulation of mass above it. So, this bottom-most matter changes state and becomes liquid. Then, the liquidified matter at the bottom rises because it's less dense (since it's liquid). This rising magma moves the plates and causes earthquakes, creates the many rocks, and produces lava.

These things don't require a spherical earth in order to operate. We know pressure and temperature have a direct relationship, and it doesn't require a spherical earth.

I see a few problems with what you are saying.
Why would receiving more force applied to it from the accumulation of mass above it cause the bottom of the earth to become liquid? (pressure and temperature do not have a direct relationship.) If anything, more force means more densely compacted, and harder to liquify.
Another problem is just because it is liquid, doesn't mean it's less dense, wood is solid and it floats on liquid water, solid water floats on liquid water...