Recent Posts

Flat Earth Theory / Re: Where is Google Maps wrong?
« Last post by Pete Svarrior on Today at 09:33:56 AM »
It’s a SAR image - they are built bit by bit as the satellite passes over. The movement creates the aperture - that’s the whole point. The entire thing is a composite of billions of data points - it’s not just the seven swathes. Each swathe is a composite. I don’t know whether this one fires directly down or at an angle, but the angle will be the same for each point.
Indeed. I'm glad we agree.

I'm not seeing any visual distortion.
Sigh, of course you'd choose the narrowest angle possible. I weep for you.

But hey, let's roll with this. How have you determined whether this image appears distorted when referenced against a "naked eye" view of the scene? Pardon my cynicism, but I strongly suspect you haven't made the comparison at all.
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Fortuna's Epic DoorDash Adventure
« Last post by stack on Today at 04:15:17 AM »
All I can say is thanks for doing what you're doing. I know the primary objective is side-gig cash, but me for being in a big city and having such awesome delivery options with the likes of door dash, it's been a godsend. And all the dashers I meet are super nice and cool. I've had a few orders screwed up in the past year+ but I know to take it up with the restaurant and not with the dasher.

And I'm super glad to read that you guys are told upfront what you get for a gig. And not get penalized for passing.

I'm sure you'll have more stories from your quests. Keep 'em coming.

So far the funniest order was a lady who ordered a piece of pie and two eggs. She came out and was obviously high as a kite. And yeah, if you have disposable income it's a pretty great service. I used to order from them a lot too, which is what made me want to try out delivering.

When super baked, a piece of pie and a couple of eggs can be like a gastronomic adventure into parts unknown.
« Last post by Fortuna on Today at 04:06:53 AM »
All I can say is thanks for doing what you're doing. I know the primary objective is side-gig cash, but me for being in a big city and having such awesome delivery options with the likes of door dash, it's been a godsend. And all the dashers I meet are super nice and cool. I've had a few orders screwed up in the past year+ but I know to take it up with the restaurant and not with the dasher.

And I'm super glad to read that you guys are told upfront what you get for a gig. And not get penalized for passing.

So far the funniest order was a lady who ordered a piece of pie and two eggs. She came out and was obviously high as a kite. And yeah, if you have disposable income it's a pretty great service. I used to order from them a lot too, which is what made me want to try out delivering.
« Last post by stack on Today at 03:39:06 AM »

« Last post by Rama Set on Today at 12:49:59 AM »
I look forward to seeing you on r/publicfreakout
Arts & Entertainment / Fortuna's Epic DoorDash Adventure
« Last post by Fortuna on Today at 12:00:44 AM »
I started delivering for DoorDash last week in my free time. It started out as a thing to try for fun, but I realized I can make some decent side cash. The app you use is like playing a video game and completing quests. You start out "looking for orders", and when one pops up it shows you the distance you'll have to travel, and a big, bold number that is the amount of money you'll make on the order. You can decline the order if it's not enough money for the distance. As far as I know, there's no penalty for declining.

Anyway, today I did a single order worth $20. I only had to drive a little over 5 miles to complete it. I had another order where some Chinese lady yelled at me because the restaurant got her order wrong. However, it was sealed and we aren't allowed to open orders to check if they are correct in that case.

Delivering to apartments is really shitty, especially if the orderer doesn't add a good description of where they are in the complex.

Delivering WingStop orders is really shitty too. The restaurant usually takes forever to make the order, they come in giant oily bags, and the smell of the wings is so strong my car just smells like shitty wing seasoning permanently now.

Today, I made $22/hour after taking gas into account. I also got two free sodas.
« Last post by Gonzo on January 19, 2022, 07:01:09 PM »
@Gonzo: although the numbers may vary, I think 'RE and FE are in broad agreement that eastbound transatlantic traffic gets a benefit from wind in terms of speed, range and fuel-burn.  Tom's contention, however, is that traffic from Europe to North America also consistently gets a benefit from easterly winds.  Any comment?

I'd go one further - Tom's contention appears to be that pilots and airline ops teams do not know how far their aircraft are flying, or what the wind is doing in the airspace they are operating in. That is an absurd suggestion, and is demonstrably false.

Anyone invovled in aviation will know this contention is ridiculous. I am in my unit's Operations department, where we work on new procedures, equipment and liaise with airlines and other ATC organisations. I was on a call earlier today with representatives (including senior pilots) of a major global airline talking about sustainability. We were examining their fuel burn calculations from a recent flight, and how making one tweak in procedure had saved 30kgs of fuel, and another had saved 6kgs of fuel. We also looked at the readout each Captain gets of her/his environmental performance, and how efficient the flight planning and how accurate the fuel calculation prediction was for each flight plan. Differences of tens of kgs was remarked upon. Bear in mind that an A320 burns about 45kg of fuel per minute in the cruise. A Boeing 777 will burn over 100kgs of fuel per minute. If flying times were seemingly so variable and unpredictable, the margin of error on fuel calculations would be so wide such as to make long haul flying uneconomical and wildly unpredictable. Which is not the reality we experience.
« Last post by Gonzo on January 19, 2022, 06:46:40 PM »
@Gonzo: although the numbers may vary, I think 'RE and FE are in broad agreement that eastbound transatlantic traffic gets a benefit from wind in terms of speed, range and fuel-burn.  Tom's contention, however, is that traffic from Europe to North America also consistently gets a benefit from easterly winds.  Any comment?

Winds over the N. Atlantic are generally westerly. I've never seen or heard of a consistent tailwind for a westbound transatlantic. Depending on the strength and position of the N. Atlantic jetstream, they may go to some considerable length to avoid it, running far south or north of the ideal great circle route: They're doing so to avoid a headwind, not take advantage of a tailwind.
« Last post by stack on January 19, 2022, 06:25:36 PM »
That is, of course, with the important caveat that the shape of objects in panoramas is significantly distorted when compared to their "naked eye" appearance.

I suppose it depends on the panorama. Here's one:

I'm not seeing any visual distortion.
« Last post by SteelyBob on January 19, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »
?
[mLooking straight down would only capture a single point at a time, rather than meaningful 2-dimensional photographs. This would make the composition even more arbitrary, since you'd be stitching them together pixel by pixel.

It’s a SAR image - they are built bit by bit as the satellite passes over. The movement creates the aperture - that’s the whole point. The entire thing is a composite of billions of data points - it’s not just the seven swathes. Each swathe is a composite. I don’t know whether this one fires directly down or at an angle, but the angle will be the same for each point.