Re: Just Watched
« Reply #420 on: June 01, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
Penny Dreadful.

Billie Piper can't do an Irish accent very well.

Ghost of V

« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
Penny Dreadful.

Billie Piper can't do an Irish accent very well.

Does she play a call girl in that too?

« Reply #422 on: June 01, 2014, 08:21:01 PM »
I think so. It was difficult to decipher anything she said but she did have sex with a rich guy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2014, 01:42:35 AM »
Why am I not surprised?

Anyways, I just got back from seeing the new X-Men movie. It was entertaining. They really fucked up with the Sentinels though.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2014, 02:18:22 PM »
This is why I think Tim Burton's attempts are the best so far, they tread the fine lines between serious and dull, style and camp very well, and they genuinely feel like comic book movies rather than high concept action flicks.

Style over substance! >o<  Even though I'm not a comic book fan by any means, I can't forgive the first movie for stomping roughshod all over Batman lore.  You've got Batman nonchalantly and deliberately slaughtering people, Alfred letting visitors in to the Batcave, the Joker having a very detailed origin story that strips away all mystery from the character, not to mention including the fact that now he's the one who killed Batman's parents.  Bleh, I say.  Bleh.  And the second movie was just shit.  I don't know why it seems to be so adored by critics and fans.  It's more like a parody of superhero films than a superhero film itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 02, 2014, 03:16:46 PM »
Also, no Red Hood.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #426 on: June 04, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
I watched X-Men Origins - Wolverine.  It sucked.  Also, while I'll reiterate that I'm no comic book fan, I'm pretty damn sure that Deadpool isn't even remotely similar to how he was depicted in this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 03:40:01 PM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 04, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
He's not. That was the biggest failure in that movie.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #428 on: June 04, 2014, 09:24:20 PM »
Uh, are there supposed to be subtitles for the foreign dialogue in X-Men: First Class?  I thought I might just not be seeing them because I'm streaming it, but I've looked this up, and apparently a few other people have had the same issue.  Was this movie intended for polyglots?

That annoying little detail aside, it was a good movie.  I'm glad that they took the risk of not making it be all about Wolverine again, although his brief cameo was hilarious.  That being said, I must say that the movie came across as kind of sexist.  More so than the other films in the series, I mean.  The women do hardly any fighting, most of them go bad by the end, and they seem to spend a lot of time in their underwear.  And the penultimate scene with MacTaggart reinforcing her superiors' image of her being a dumb lovesick little girl didn't really help things either.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:27:26 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 04, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
There were no foreign subtitles in the one I downloaded.
I didn't like it very much, and I hated the way they made Charles and Mystique to be childhood friends. It's also strange how Erik and Charles part ways so early even though they're still working together in the early 90's in the third film when they visit Jean Grey, both of them aged and Charles still being able to walk.

PLOTHOLES
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:35 PM »
It's also strange how Erik and Charles part ways so early even though they're still working together in the early 90's in the third film when they visit Jean Grey, both of them aged and Charles still being able to walk.

They have an on again-off again kind of relationship.

And yes Saddam, the 60s were a sexist time.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #431 on: June 04, 2014, 11:03:22 PM »
Simply portraying sexism is one thing, but portraying it and reinforcing it within the context of the movie is another.  That's the big issue with that scene - the men are apparently justified in writing her off as a silly girl who's just sighing about some guy, because that's exactly what she's presenting herself as.  There's no reason why she couldn't have handled her memory wipe with some dignity or professionalism, or even why she really needed to have her memory wiped at all.  Didn't Xavier trust her to keep his secrets?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 05, 2014, 12:07:16 AM »
Simply portraying sexism is one thing, but portraying it and reinforcing it within the context of the movie is another.  That's the big issue with that scene - the men are apparently justified in writing her off as a silly girl who's just sighing about some guy, because that's exactly what she's presenting herself as.  There's no reason why she couldn't have handled her memory wipe with some dignity or professionalism, or even why she really needed to have her memory wiped at all.  Didn't Xavier trust her to keep his secrets?
Are you saying it's sexist to be a silly girl sighing about a man?

Not all women have to be dignified or professional.

« Reply #433 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:06 AM »

But it helps.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 05, 2014, 04:54:56 AM »
It's also strange how Erik and Charles part ways so early even though they're still working together in the early 90's in the third film when they visit Jean Grey, both of them aged and Charles still being able to walk.

They have an on again-off again kind of relationship.
Is this established int the new movie? And how is Charles able to walk in that scene? Is he wearing metal underwear that are controlled by Magneto?
The Mastery.

« Reply #435 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:01 AM »
Hank is giving him a plot serumâ„¢ that allows him to walk while conveniently preventing the use of his powers.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #436 on: June 05, 2014, 01:40:42 PM »
Are you saying it's sexist to be a silly girl sighing about a man?

But she was a CIA agent making a report to her superiors.  It wasn't a good time to be reminiscing about being kissed!

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »
Were there even women agents in the CIA in the 60s? Maybe she ruined it. All the men were like, "see, this is why we can't have women here."

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #438 on: June 06, 2014, 04:38:45 AM »
NO U

Also:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/03/doctor-strange-director-marvel-scott-derrickson/

I don't know anything about this Doctor Strange fellow.  Is this a good thing, comic book nerds?

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 06, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
Ick...that's an awesome thing, but I'm not fond of their directorial choice.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.