Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Youtube needs tweaking
« on: January 03, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
If you put a video in as below, it doesn't take into account the start time.

I've given a 5 second start time, but it defaults to playing from the start. This can be difficult when wishing to draw someone's attention to a particular part of a video, especially FE videos that can be an hour long on youtube. Is this fixable?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 01:52:10 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Youtube needs tweaking
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 07:57:42 PM »
It's technically possible, just inconvenient. And since YouTube likes to change their URL schema, if we set it up now, it could potentially break without notice. Then again, that's just a consequence of relying on a third party. I'll have a play around, it shouldn't be more difficult than it will be frustrating.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:54 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard. Wordpress plugins don't break when youtube changes its url and millions of websites use wordpress to host youtube videos. Especially blogs.

There must be a php plugin you can 'leverage'.

:-)

I know its not a priority, but its one of those things that is either broke forever, or will be forgotten about the instant you fix it ... but it adds to the user experience here that pretty much everything works all the time unlike the other site.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »
If we do it and then it breaks, that hurts every old thread that relied on it. I'm sure you of all people will understand why broken content would be less than ideal. Part of our success here is that we're generally trying to keep things breakage-free.

An alternative option we could consider is not attempting to scrape the data from links, but rather modifying the [youtube] bbc tag*. For example, we could add a "start" parameter there, similarly to how, say, an [img] can have a "width".

We'll find a way to make it work. I'd just rather approach it slowly than rush into something that might break things in the long run.

* - Yeah, I realise most people aren't aware of this, but e.g. [youtube]dQw4w9WgXcQ[/youtube] works.

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:54:53 PM »
If we do it and then it breaks, that hurts every old thread that relied on it. I'm sure you of all people will understand why broken content would be less than ideal. Part of our success here is that we're generally trying to keep things breakage-free.

An alternative option we could consider is not attempting to scrape the data from links, but rather modifying the [youtube] bbc tag*. For example, we could add a "start" parameter there, similarly to how, say, an [img] can have a "width".

We'll find a way to make it work. I'd just rather approach it slowly than rush into something that might break things in the long run.

* - Yeah, I realise most people aren't aware of this, but e.g. [youtube]dQw4w9WgXcQ[/youtube] works.

A parameter sounds very sensible. Something like [youtube t=28] * [/youtube] for 28 seconds in and then you can just build the query string straight onto the end of the url. ?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
Right, that should be done.

https://youtu.be/zhGnuWwpNxI?t=1m now yields this:

Or, if you prefer, you can use [youtube start=123 end=456]zhGnuWwpNxI[/youtube]

The hope is that this hasn't broken any old links, and that all link formats that are actually in use should be supported. Let us know if we broke all the things.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:23:04 PM by Pete Svarrior »

Offline Dr David Thork

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:38 PM »
My video above automatically works. Thank you very much. :-)