Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Independence
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2014, 06:32:40 PM »
That kind of defeats the point.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »

The point of what?

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »

The point of what?

you're not very good at this

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2014, 02:57:20 AM »
The reincarnation of William Wallace will soon reveal himself and lead the battle for Scottish independence.  They will call him the Wallarine.

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2014, 05:40:58 PM »
I was watching another BBC documentary about Scottish independence which raised some interesting points. Since Britain's nuclear submarine base is based in Scotland and there's no suitable location available in the UK, we could potentially lose our nuclear deterrent. We'd also lose a fairly significant part of our conventional armed forces to Scotland. Which in turn might lead to being kicked off the UN security council.

Thork

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
I was watching another BBC documentary about Scottish independence which raised some interesting points. Since Britain's nuclear submarine base is based in Scotland and there's no suitable location available in the UK, we could potentially lose our nuclear deterrent.
That would be a blessing. It is incredibly expensive and serves no purpose. We've never used it ... ever. Unfortunately they'll just move it. Northern Ireland, Portsmouth, Plymouth ... They'll find a place.

We'd also lose a fairly significant part of our conventional armed forces to Scotland.
Sadly not. Scotland couldn't afford those armed forces and we'd just relocate them. In fact its likely we wouldn't relocate hem. They'd just be British bases in Scotland. Much like Lakenheath is an American airforce base in England. Go home, Yanks. The cold war is over. >:(

Which in turn might lead to being kicked off the UN security council.
Again, sadly not. We would still have the 4th or 5th largest military budget in the world. Who would we be making way for? Spain? Japan? Argentina? The burden of policing the world isn't going to go away that easily. Far to much British tax to plunder to squander an opportunity like that.

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »
I think the SNP are planning on retaining Scottish armed forces, not sure how that would work though.

Salmond raised an interesting point in the debate with Darling, if the Bank of England refuses to agree to a currency union, Scotland could refuse to take their share of the UK national debt.

Thork

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:50 PM »
Salmond raised an interesting point in the debate with Darling, if the Bank of England refuses to agree to a currency union, Scotland could refuse to take their share of the UK national debt.
And as Darling pointed out, that would be classed as default. You can't form a new nation and then default. No one will lend you money.

Personally I think Scotland are having a laugh.

They want ...
The Northern Counties of England
All the North Sea Oil and Gas
To use Britain's currency despite being told no
To heap all their debt onto Britain

Land, resources, default, currency abuse. Did they just beat us in a war or something? If I was prime minister I'd sail my very large Navy into the North Sea and secure Scotland's oil and gas against their debt. I'd then heap reparations on them and reunionise their broke state for their own good. The only reason that oil and gas belongs to Great Britain and not the US or Scandinavia or France is because of the bloody great Navy, Britain has paid for to protect it.

It seems to me as though Salmond is trying to divide a nation and bring it to civil war. That sounds like treason. I hope he is hanged. >:(
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:32:24 PM by Thork »

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »
Living in Newcastle, I definitely think the Northern English counties should join Scotland, I'd vote for that.

Salmond's point was that if the Bank of England won't share it's assets, why should it share it's debts?

Thork

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »
Why should it share its assets? The clue is in the name. There is a bank of Scotland, you know. We'd like Scotland to take that with them. :)

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
But if the national debt is held by the Bank of England, how can Scotland be responsible for any of it?

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2014, 03:41:30 PM »
But if the national debt is held by the Bank of England
It's not.

Salmond's point is based on his lack of understanding of how the UK works, or how an independent Scotland would work. Regardless of what Scotland chooses to do, it should get rid of that mountebank before he dicks it up for everyone involved.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:45:25 PM by pizaaplanet »
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Thork

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:57 PM »
^That. No one cares if Scotland leaves, but their demands are unreasonable. The rest of Great Britain can't accept them. So he needs a rethink and very quickly. If he can't be independent and do his sums without asking for the moon on a stick, then that is the end of the debate.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:47:34 PM by Thork »

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
Wow. I actually agree with Thork.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
Right pathetic looking, the British Isles will be. The Scottish were always treated much better than the Irish so I don't see much motivation for independence, really.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Thork

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Right pathetic looking, the British Isles will be. The Scottish were always treated much better than the Irish so I don't see much motivation for independence, really.
Because inside every Scotsman's head is ...

Stupid Hollywood. >:(

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »
It's the same strain of misinformation that makes Americans hate healthcare. Can't have any of that big government, they only take our money and do nothing!

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »
Independence is the motivation for independence.

I just appreciate that they're getting their own vote on it. If being independent is going to screw them over then at least they tried. It's not necessarily all about Braveheart either. Plenty of Scots hated the union in the 1700s and that was quite some time before Mel Gibson.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2014, 06:18:12 PM »
Independence is the motivation for independence.
Do you support Texan and/or Californian secessionists for the same reason?