Offline Blart

• View Profile
Seasons. How do they work on flat earth?
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:36:16 AM »
Can someone explain how seasons work on the flat earth model please thankyou.

Offline gizmo910

• Si vis pacem, para bellum
    • View Profile
Re: Seasons. How do they work on flat earth?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
Refer to the WIKI
Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

;)

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
By what mechanism does the sun shift its orbit? How does it speed up and slow down to account for the dramatically different orbital sizes?
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline gizmo910

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:05:10 PM »
By what mechanism does the sun shift its orbit? How does it speed up and slow down to account for the dramatically different orbital sizes?

Therein lies the great mcguffin

“When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. Do not press a desperate foe too hard.”

;)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 05:34:48 PM »

Unknown.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:50 PM »
they dont

Offline gizmo910

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 05:44:57 PM »
they dont

Lovely unwarranted prattle diverging from the discussion.

;)

Offline mtnman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »

Unknown.
Tom, has anyone laid the differing winter/fall sun orbits on the bi-polar map?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:06 PM »

Unknown.
There was something around a while back, need to bookmark it at some point. It claimed the sun still follows the two Tropics during the summer and winter solstice just like in the unipolar map. At the Equinox the sun shifts between orbiting the North Pole and orbiting the South Pole through some unknown means. The exact path on the equinoxes was unknown at the time of that post however.

Offline 3DGeek

• Path of photon from sun location to eye at sunset?
    • View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »

Unknown.
There was something around a while back, need to bookmark it at some point. It claimed the sun still follows the two Tropics during the summer and winter solstice just like in the unipolar map. At the Equinox the sun shifts between orbiting the North Pole and orbiting the South Pole through some unknown means. The exact path on the equinoxes was unknown at the time of that post however.

Did it explain the path the sun takes over 24 hours of a single day?  It seems like it needs to either teleport - or rush around the outside edge of the world so fast that we can't see it move.

The problem the bipolar map has is how to explain it being daylight on both east and west coastlines of the pacific ocean while being nighttime in Africa.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 07:50:32 PM »

Unknown.

Did it explain the path the sun takes over 24 hours of a single day?  It seems like it needs to either teleport - or rush around the outside edge of the world so fast that we can't see it move.

The problem the bipolar map has is how to explain it being daylight on both east and west coastlines of the pacific ocean while being nighttime in Africa.
No, still had that problem. Think of it like two unipolar maps for the motion of the sun. During North Summer it follows a track around the North Pole, and during North Winter it follows a track around the South Pole. On the Equinoxes it moves between these two tracks through some unknown mechanism.

So yeah, it comes with it's own host of issues, but it at least solves the whole Antarctica continent thing! This seems to be a bit of a theme....

devils advocate

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:58:29 PM »
As Tom agrees it is unknown how the sun moves. As Flat earth agrees they cannot produce a map. These are two vital factors required to explain seasons as without being able to plot the Sun's position relative to the continents throughout the year you can't explain why its hotter this month than that. This is odd as Round Earth can explain seasons simply, even I understand it!   :P

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
    • What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:59:05 PM »
No, still had that problem. Think of it like two unipolar maps for the motion of the sun. During North Summer it follows a track around the North Pole, and during North Winter it follows a track around the South Pole. On the Equinoxes it moves between these two tracks through some unknown mechanism.

So yeah, it comes with it's own host of issues, but it at least solves the whole Antarctica continent thing! This seems to be a bit of a theme....

Well does it?  It still has an Ice Wall - only now the ice is there on the equator.  I thought the unipolar map actually made a lot more sense...it's a lot easier to toss a bunch of antarctic explorers into the "conspiracy bucket" than it is to claim that people (like me) who crossed the international date line somewhere near the equator on a ship somehow either teleported to the other side of the disk - or made a roughly 12,000 mile detour during which VERY weird things would happen to compasses and stars while "above" the North pole or "below" the South pole.

The unipolar map kinda worked because it buried all of the anomalies and weird shit behind the ice wall in a place where hardly anyone goes, and the sun and moon can be expected to behave wierdly.

The bipolar map dumps all of those same anomalies slap in the middle of the pacific ocean where LOTS of people travel - and where both sun and moon (and stars) all have to move.

From an FE'er's perspective, it's a disaster.
Hey Tom:  What path do the photons take from the physical location of the sun to my eye at sunset?

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »

Well does it?  It still has an Ice Wall - only now the ice is there on the equator.  I thought the unipolar map actually made a lot more sense...it's a lot easier to toss a bunch of antarctic explorers into the "conspiracy bucket" than it is to claim that people (like me) who crossed the international date line somewhere near the equator on a ship somehow either teleported to the other side of the disk - or made a roughly 12,000 mile detour during which VERY weird things would happen to compasses and stars while "above" the North pole or "below" the South pole.

The unipolar map kinda worked because it buried all of the anomalies and weird shit behind the ice wall in a place where hardly anyone goes, and the sun and moon can be expected to behave wierdly.

The bipolar map dumps all of those same anomalies slap in the middle of the pacific ocean where LOTS of people travel - and where both sun and moon (and stars) all have to move.

Yeah, it solved the problem it set out to solve, that of Antarctica being a distinct continent. A lot of FE hypotheses appear to take this route. They find an observation that doesn't fit in some way, and create a way to make it fit, consequences in other areas be damned.

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 08:49:29 PM »

Yeah, it solved the problem it set out to solve, that of Antarctica being a distinct continent. A lot of FE hypotheses appear to take this route. They find an observation that doesn't fit in some way, and create a way to make it fit, consequences in other areas be damned.

Yep - it's definitely the FE'ers biggest weakness.  You can see it time upon time.

Offline Blart

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »
Well the way i see it in the model the Sun moves more towards the outer edge to give Southern hemisphere summer? and then moves inward towards the north pole to give Summer in the North...

My problem with that is the Sun always travels across the sky at the same speed no matter what time of year it is. How does it travel the huge distance in the South compared to the North in exactly the same time. Without speeding up ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:48:52 PM by Blart »

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 03:30:48 AM »

Unknown.

Need worries. The sun doesn't move like that model shows. It can't.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Offline 3DGeek

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »

Unknown.

Need worries. The sun doesn't move like that model shows. It can't.

If the FE'ers could settle on a map - figuring out the motion of the sun would be fairly easy.   We know that the sun crosses 15 degrees of latitude per hour - starting at 12:00 GMT at the prime meridian...then all you need to know is the longitude at which the sun is vertically overhead for every hour through the year and you'll be able to plot 24 points for every day and 6,360 points for the year.

Finding out the positions where the sun is vertically overhead would be a painful exercise - but you can just cheat and assume that the FE sun is somehow programmed to behave *precisely* as if the Earth was round...which is a surprising coincidence - but must be true or lots of people would have noticed by now!

I really can't be bothered to do it...but if you wanted to - you doubtless could.

However, we can easily to a few specific places without much effort: eg we know the sun is vertically overhead at the equator on the two equinox days - so we know it follows the line of the equator on that day.   Plot those points on the bipolar map and start thinking about the places where the sun must be setting on the northern or southern horizon...and you'll soon understand that the bipolar map is junk.

Offline 3241

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2017, 12:56:23 AM »
You claim nobody cam see what happens to the sun at sunset - I have seen it. I live above the arctic circle. On June 21 the sun goes down to the horizon (does not set) and then  rises again it does not go out of sight  or run along this so called edge of the flat earth to rise again on the other side  you can come see it anytime you want. On Dec 21 there is no sun in the sky its a day of total darkness explain that.