Re: Game of Thrones
« Reply #260 on: June 26, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »
I don't think LSH is a big loss, she's barely featured in the books, but I wonder what else is going to be removed. I reckon the little Griff storyline will be left out. I'm pretty doubtful that the rest of the Greyjoys will be introduced either.

She's important to Brienne and Jaime's storylines, we're yet to see how much she impacts those. That and it's awesome to have an undead Catelyn wandering around getting revenge on the Frey's.

« Reply #261 on: June 27, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
Maybe the producers asked George RR Martin and he said the LSH storyline wasn't going anywhere

« Reply #262 on: June 27, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
Then that's a fuckup on both their parts. Why reintroduce a major character for no reason at all?

Ghost of V

« Reply #263 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:10 PM »
Does this show still suck?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #264 on: June 28, 2014, 02:56:42 AM »
Then that's a fuckup on both their parts. Why reintroduce a major character for no reason at all?

It's almost as if Martin has no idea what he's doing and is making shit up as he goes along.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 28, 2014, 04:06:43 AM »

It's almost as if Martin has no idea what he's doing and is making shit up as he goes along.

Doesn't that usually happen with a book series that goes on for too long?

« Reply #266 on: June 28, 2014, 07:27:47 AM »
Not really. Tolkien wasn't like that, and he was writing middle earth books right up until he died. Some of these fantasy authors have a very nuanced view of their world. I honestly don't know what GRRM is doing with his latest books, whether he intentionally meanders or if he just has no idea what he's doing.

« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
Yeah it's getting to the stage where I'm probably going to stop watching the show. Not including LSH doesn't make sense for a lot of different reasons.

I don't know who LSH is but I'm going to use this as my reason to stop watching the show.

Tyrion needs his own spin-off show. That's the only way this can get good.

« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/749309-i-think-there-are-two-types-of-writers-the-architects

So GRRM has a rough plan, but he'll change things on the fly according to how he thinks the characters would react in a situation.

He also changed his plan pretty drastically after Storm of Swords. The timeline was originally going to skip 5 years before the next book.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
He also changed his plan pretty drastically after Storm of Swords. The timeline was originally going to skip 5 years before the next book.

I've heard that before, but it's not an excuse for how slow the last two books have been.  He's the one who's creating the story.  It was his decision that the next few years of it were going to be so boring and uneventful.  They didn't have to be.

« Reply #270 on: June 29, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »
Definitely could have afforded to skip 5 years. I don't hate the last 2 books but I got sick of characters that I just don't give a shit about. Never had that issue in the first 3.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 29, 2014, 03:34:21 AM »
I was gonna read the books while I waited for the next season but you guys talked me out of it.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 29, 2014, 03:42:21 AM »
Not really. Tolkien wasn't like that, and he was writing middle earth books right up until he died. Some of these fantasy authors have a very nuanced view of their world. I honestly don't know what GRRM is doing with his latest books, whether he intentionally meanders or if he just has no idea what he's doing.

Lotr is only three books. It follows the standard "intro, body, and conclusion" format and it works perfectly.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:44:20 AM by Andrew »

« Reply #273 on: June 29, 2014, 05:01:45 AM »

Lotr is only three books. It follows the standard "intro, body, and conclusion" format and it works perfectly.

The universe is much, much bigger than that. Despite having a collection of books that dwarf GRRM's works on ASOIAF, he never wasted time with pointless additions.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 29, 2014, 05:06:36 AM »
The universe is much, much bigger than that.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't know that before.

« Reply #275 on: June 29, 2014, 06:40:05 AM »
Just saying that AFFC and ADWD didn't really need to exist as separate books. So much could have been cut without a huge consequence to the story. Tolkien never had that issue.

« Reply #276 on: June 29, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
What about Tom Bombadill?

Personally I liked ADWD.

« Reply #277 on: June 29, 2014, 08:01:29 PM »
I didn't dislike either books since I'll read anything he puts out. Bombadil is an intentional enigma. A case can be made for him being a nature spirit or an expression of Arda (or something along those lines) but ultimately Tolkien designed him to be unknowable. We know this because he explicitly says so in one of his letters.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2014, 12:54:38 AM »
To be clear, I enjoy all of the books.  My disappointment with AFFC and ADWD largely lies with the fact that they just aren't as good as their predecessors.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2014, 03:03:06 AM »
So my friend (who doesn't read)  bought the first book in the hopes that maybe he can get into it.  I'm considering giving it a shot.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.