Offline xenotolerance

• byeeeeeee
    • View Profile
    • flat Earth visualization
Re: 2+2
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2018, 03:58:38 AM »
Tom, you would do well to listen to yourself. Do some reading and use this as opportunity to learn about how math relates to the real world.

Peano's work specifically proves that 2+2=4 whenever the successor function, i.e. counting, works. Macario's example of the water and alcohol solution is on point: Volume of a liquid is not strictly countable, being subject to constantly changing physical states of pressure and temperature, so 2ml + 2ml is not something that makes sense. Atomic nuclei are, generally, countable, as nuclear reactions can be ignored in many cases. In this case, 2g + 2g does make sense, strictly because what you are adding is countable. Indeed, that the math doesn't make sense for mixing liquids or stacking sponges is a clue that there's more going on! A chance to dig deeper and learn something... an opportunity a thinker like you must cherish.

If you have a situation where counting does not apply, it follows that 2+2 if the uncountable may not result in 4. Oh shit, better claim that math is broken? See the absurdities in this thread like, throwing this out there, eyebrow + stoicism = Pixar. The symbols + and = don't mean the same thing here as they do in 2+2=4. When semiotics and symbolic reasoning come in, formal logic and math take a seat. Pineapple + pepperoni = tasty pizza is not math, but I can use the symbols to communicate anyway. If you attempt an inversion, and find that 2 pineapple deliciousness + 2 pepperoni deliciousness = 3.78 pizza deliciousness... take it as opportunity to learn.

Offline Rounder

• What in the Sam Hill are you people talking about?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:00 AM »
I could say *childish vulgarity removed*

Or that you regularly engage in some *more childish vulgarity*

You could do that.  Or you could follow the rules.  In particular:
Rule 1. No personal attacks. Keep your posts civil and to the point, and don't insult others. If you have run out of valid contributions, simply do not post.
Proud member of İntikam's "Ignore List"
Ok. You proven you are unworthy to unignored. You proven it was a bad idea to unignore you. and it was for me a disgusting experience...Now you are going to place where you deserved and accustomed.
Quote from: SexWarrior
You accuse {FE} people of malice where incompetence suffice

Macarios

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »
Arithmetic is based on Peano's Axioms. Its not a universal truth. Those axioms do not apply in all situations.

Arithmetic only works in a situation where those axioms are true. There are many models and situations where those axioms do not apply.

The insistance on calling a mathematical model an "absolute fact" is pretty typical for the quality of posters we get here. Use this as an opportunity for research and self improvement.

(For those who need it, Peano's Axioms were explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peano_axioms)

This bring us to simple question:
Are here on Earth distances and angles natural numbers?

Earth is measured many times using distances and angles.
Triangulation works that way.
It gave the shape to be globe.

If one can prove that distances and angles aren't natural numbers, than direct measuring can't prove anything.
Not globe, not flat, not concave.

Was that the goal here?
To discredit and abandon knowledge and revert mankind back to belief?

That way science would be reduced back to pure religious dogma, and we are back to another Dark Ages.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2018, 10:02:52 AM »
Tom, I have to admit that you've surprised me. What you've said is right! (Surprising, since you've also said 2+2 is not 4 and that pi = 4)
Wait, I thought 2+2 = pi?
I'm confused now.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2018, 05:17:07 PM »
I could say that you and your buttbuddy = 2, but you and that other c---sucker over there do not equal buttbuddies.

Or that you regularly engage in some of necrophiliac/bestiality ritual with dead donkeys; yet, after the 4th time of being witnessed the fourth was found missing the next day...so it turns out, the 4th time we, by necessity, the first two times add up to 2 and the third and 4th time still only add to one, because there is no confirmation the 4th donkey is dead. 
Mathematics DEFINES the numbers to mean what we intuitively think they mean...
In and of itself, no it does not.

One more warning to lay off personal attacks, then a vacation.

Offline ShowmetheProof

• We are fellow scientists, and should act as such.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »
I could say that (children could be on here), but you and that other (children could be on here) over there do not equal 
(children could be on here).
Yeah, I'm not going to include any of this so I've deleted it for being all disgusting, gross, and weird.  totallackey is either evil or disturbed for posting this.   
Mathematics DEFINES the numbers to mean what we intuitively think they mean...
In and of itself, no it does not.

I love how a discussion about the answer of a fairly, sorry, I meant extremely simple mathematical problem involving kindergarten-level addition can have all this vulgarity on TFES.