Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5320 on: May 08, 2020, 01:43:16 AM »
"Shea, a political appointee, alone signed the court document -- an unusual move. The Flynn filing was not signed by any career prosecutors at the Justice Department. That's a departure from how lower-level prosecutors typically handle all court filings, even in high-profile cases including Flynn's, while the political appointees they work for act as figureheads."

Not even pretending anymore.

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: May 08, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/496743-tara-reade-represented-by-well-known-lawyer-trump-campaign-donor

Whew! We can breathe a sigh of relief and focus on what's important now. Turns out the Tara Reade thing was all fake news, just a witch hunt perpetrated by the Trump loving deep state.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: May 09, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
Reade has said she was struggling to find a lawyer to represent her.

Wigdor suggested Reade’s struggles to find representation were because of “politics,” according to the news source. 

“I think highly of a lot of these people,” he told AP. “These are my friends and colleagues, people who I respect, but they tend to be Democrats or liberals, and they were not interested, because of that, in representing Tara Reade.”

Sounds pretty clear to me. Liberals 'protect their own'.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: May 09, 2020, 07:54:19 PM »

Wigdor suggested Reade’s struggles to find representation were because of “politics,” according to the news source. 

“I think highly of a lot of these people,” he told AP. “These are my friends and colleagues, people who I respect, but they tend to be Democrats or liberals, and they were not interested, because of that, in representing Tara Reade.”

Or because its a highly political case that could utterly destroy a lawfirm's reputation if done poorly.  Not worth it for pro-bono.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #5324 on: May 09, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »

Guy gives opinion on something

Tom: I now know The TruthTM!

As with almost ever story, the real reason is somewhere in between.  Some probably don't want to risk the political backlash, some are motivated by dollars, some don't think the case holds water, some don't want to ruin Biden's chance of getting elected, etc...

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5325 on: May 10, 2020, 03:59:07 AM »
Lawyers have every right to pursue cases that suit their political leanings or avoid ones that don't. It's not remarkable that a lot of lawyers weren't willing to take this case, nor that the one who did supported Trump.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: May 10, 2020, 02:33:14 PM »

As with almost ever story, the real reason is somewhere in between.  Some probably don't want to risk the political backlash, some are motivated by dollars, some don't think the case holds water, some don't want to ruin Biden's chance of getting elected, etc...

I agree that in complicated multi-faceted situations, there can be several competing interests and interpretations.

But I respectfully disagree that the truth is always “in the middle” with both true and false opinions from both sides.

To take a silly example, suppose I say that I am a banana. And suppose you say that I am not a banana. Is the truth somewhere in between?

Am I a half-banana?

Sometimes people are just incorrect in their statements, and to seek compromise on each opinion (not saying this was what you were implying however) dilutes facts and truth according to whomever offers the most outrageous claim.

Rather, I propose seeking compromise with the debate process itself, and be willing to acknowledge claims the other side makes that are factual, in order to find common ground and preserve civility.

Just my two cents.
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: May 10, 2020, 02:45:08 PM »

I agree that in complicated multi-faceted situations, there can be several competing interests and interpretations.

But I respectfully disagree that the truth is always “in the middle” with both true and false opinions from both sides.

To take a silly example, suppose I say that I am a banana. And suppose you say that I am not a banana. Is the truth somewhere in between?

Am I a half-banana?

Sometimes people are just incorrect in their statements, and to seek compromise on each opinion (not saying this was what you were implying however) dilutes facts and truth according to whomever offers the most outrageous claim.

Rather, I propose seeking compromise with the debate process itself, and be willing to acknowledge claims the other side makes that are factual, in order to find common ground and preserve civility.

Just my two cents.

Actually we CAN meet in the middle with even your silly example.

You believe you are a banana, which means you are likely insane.  So while you are NOT a banana physically, you believe yourself to be one and thus, to you, you are.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline BRrollin

• View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: May 10, 2020, 03:26:51 PM »

Am I a half-banana?

Just my two cents.

Actually we CAN meet in the middle with even your silly example.

You believe you are a banana, which means you are likely insane.  So while you are NOT a banana physically, you believe yourself to be one and thus, to you, you are.

Ha ha, well, you got me there :)

I’m taking your reply to be tongue-in-cheek, of course, but will go ahead and offer a response in case you meant your reply seriously.

I might be insane, and so to me I AM bananafied. But if I’m insane, then I am not connected to reality (I think that is part of what it means to be insane). So if you believe in an objective reality, then I am still just wrong.

Despite what I might insanely think I am, I am mistaken.

Of course, to go back to tongue-in-cheek, none of this applies. I am not insane, I was just lying to you in claiming I am a banana. I don’t actually think I am. So by taking the truth to be the “middle,” you arrive an incorrect conclusion that I am a banana to me.
“This just shows that you don't even understand the basic principle of UA...A projectile that goes up and then down again to an observer on Earth is not accelerating, it is the observer on Earth who accelerates.”

- Parsifal

“I hang out with sane people.”

- totallackey

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: May 10, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
Fair point.

Online Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: May 12, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/497239-mcconnell-obama-should-have-kept-his-mouth-shut-on-trumps-coronavirus

Mitch McConnell thinks it's "classless" that Obama broke with tradition and criticized the administration that followed him.

I think when your successor is a frothing lunatic who worked to end your own administration with a baseless conspiracy theory, then went on to dismantle everything you've accomplished during your own administration, all bets are off.

And when your administration fucks up on as many fronts as Trump's has, it would be downright irresponsible to not weigh in with some criticism.

And if you think that Trump will keep quiet about Biden's administration if he gets beaten this fall, you don't know Trump. Of course classlessness is built into who Trump is.

So whatever, I'm sure Obama got a kick out of a piece of shit like McConnell calling him classless. Pot, kettle.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 01:39:32 PM by Roundy »
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Online Roundy

• View Profile

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: May 12, 2020, 05:34:31 PM »
From NPR News
Supreme Court Hears Cases Involving Trump's Taxes, Financial Records https://www.npr.org/2020/05/12/853450751/supreme-court-to-hear-cases-involving-trumps-taxes-financial-records?sc=18&f=1001

My guess: Trump is worried as shit.
He's fought tooth and claw to keep anything from coming out and if the judges decide against him, he is going to have alot of shit hit him at once.  I suspect watergate like shit but it could be as simple as "Trump is poor" which would be worse to his ego.

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: May 12, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »
After observing Trump I suspect the latter.  By now it's obvious that he's too stupid to be an effective criminal.

I listened to most of it.  It was interesting to hear how a supreme court hearing is done.  Very different than congressional hearing.  Great respect shown to the supreme court judges.  Very little kabuki theater.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: May 12, 2020, 11:16:11 PM »
Yeah, I doubt there's anything obviously illegal in Trump's tax returns. It's just in his nature to lash out defensively, hatch cover-up schemes, and in general behave very suspiciously whenever he's under pressure. That doesn't prove he's a criminal.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: May 12, 2020, 11:19:50 PM »
Yeah, I doubt there's anything obviously illegal in Trump's tax returns. It's just in his nature to lash out defensively, hatch cover-up schemes, and in general behave very suspiciously whenever he's under pressure. That doesn't prove he's a criminal.

Not likely anything outright illegal. Likely just shows he has far more debt, far less money than he brags about, owes money to Russian banks, gives zilch to charity and a lot of other unflattering things.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: May 13, 2020, 12:03:24 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/12/trump-tells-reporter-weijia-jiang-ask-china-covid-19-testing/3114144001/

Classy!
Impressive how he effortlessly mixes racism and sexism.
And then when called out on it just gets in a strop and walks off.
He is a pathetic weasel of a man, it was a "nasty" question because it wasn't "wouldn't you agree, Mr President, that you're doing a terrific job?"
He displays all the traits of someone with a serious narcissistic personality disorder.
A lot of Americans will die because of his mishandling of this crisis.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

totallackey

« Reply #5337 on: May 13, 2020, 12:10:20 PM »
In other news, Fauci is doing exactly as Trump wishes.

You people cheering on for the end of the Trump presidency and the American way of life should be proud!

Trump is giving you guys exactly the type of world you have been clamoring for!

totallackey

« Reply #5338 on: May 13, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/12/trump-tells-reporter-weijia-jiang-ask-china-covid-19-testing/3114144001/

Classy!
Impressive how he effortlessly mixes racism and sexism.
And then when called out on it just gets in a strop and walks off.
He is a pathetic weasel of a man, it was a "nasty" question because it wasn't "wouldn't you agree, Mr President, that you're doing a terrific job?"
He displays all the traits of someone with a serious narcissistic personality disorder.
A lot of Americans will die because of his mishandling of this crisis.
The reporter was wearing a mask.

If he would have assumed ethnicity, that would have been stereotyping, and he would have been derided for that.

Hey, you need to start applauding what he is doing.

He is starting to give you guys exactly what you wanted all along.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: May 13, 2020, 01:14:00 PM »
Nice try but I’ve seen the video, her ethnicity is perfectly clear.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"