Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5220 on: April 26, 2020, 04:01:46 AM »
Did you watch it? He's clearly talking about a prior conversation he had with that person.

He could have been talking about a joke or piece of sarcasm or semi-sarcasm that came up in that conversation. It comes off as Trump talking about what someone told him they would check. That could easily be a deadpan retelling of what may have been sarcasm at one point. In an effort of honest retelling of the words from a guest he may have merely been honest about what they talked about in that conversation.

A pretty poor and blatantly dishonest effort by media and democrats to say that these are instructions from Trump to start injecting or ingesting disinfectants.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:04:32 AM by Tom Bishop »

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: April 26, 2020, 07:19:02 AM »
Did you watch it? He's clearly talking about a prior conversation he had with that person.

So? Because he has a conversation with someone he should turn around and start riffing on what they were talking about at a White House Pandemic briefing where a large part of the world is watching? During a pandemic?

He could have been talking about a joke or piece of sarcasm or semi-sarcasm that came up in that conversation. It comes off as Trump talking about what someone told him they would check. That could easily be a deadpan retelling of what may have been sarcasm at one point. In an effort of honest retelling of the words from a guest he may have merely been honest about what they talked about in that conversation.

Again, do you really think it's defensible and appropriate to be the leader of the free world riffing 'sarcastically' regarding a treatment for a virus that has shut down earth and killed 10's of thousands? The White House briefing room is not the Comedy Store where the President gets to work out his new material before he takes it on the road. Pathetic.

A pretty poor and blatantly dishonest effort by media and democrats to say that these are instructions from Trump to start injecting or ingesting disinfectants.

Maybe the Democrats are being sarcastic too. This seems spot on at the least, Indiana Sen. Mike Braun, who campaigned as a strong Trump supporter in 2018, said, “Sometimes when you’re not clear with how you say things, especially when you are at a high level where people watch, its best probably not to venture into areas that you may not know a lot about."

As far as the media goes, even Fox news seems to be on the democrat bandwagon, they even call out the sarcasm as not so sarcastic:

States see spike in poison control calls following Trump's comments on injecting disinfectant
Some poison control centers reported a spike in calls following President Trump’s suggestion that injecting disinfectant might help people infected with coronavirus.

The comment alarmed medical professionals around the world.  The president subsequently claimed on Friday that he was being "sacrastic," although at the press conference he was soberly addressing health experts on the coronavirus task force, urging them to launch a study.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/states-spike-poison-control-calls

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: April 26, 2020, 09:59:58 PM »
Whether sarcasm or not, what he was pondering about was fine. Even if we are talking about the disinfectants that can poison you, many pharmaceutical drugs are poisons in high enough quantities. The trick to medical research is to find something that poisons the disease more than it poisons you. The question of how do we make a poison safe for use internally is the basis of much pharmaceutical research.

He definitely did not instruct people to drink Lysol, as the media is immorally implying, like the dishonest liars they absolutely are.

Right. To be fair, he didn't suggest that people start chugging Domestos (do you have that in the US? Anyway, it's one of the brands here).
But what was all that ramble about anyway? You could argue that the companies have had to print disclaimers because of the media coverage rather than Trump's actual words but from what he said it sounds like Trump was suggesting things to medical professionals.
I mean, if he wants to do that then whatever. The look on the lady doctor's face tells you everything you need to know about what she thought of his rambling. But FFS do it behind closed doors.

Even if you think that some areas of the press obsess over what he says and twist it - which I agree they do - he gives them a lot of ammo with nonsense like this.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: April 27, 2020, 02:23:40 AM »
Maybe the President of the United States shouldn't be "rambling" or casually musing about whatever crap pops into their head to begin with. It's okay to have standards for the person with the job that makes them the most powerful person in the world. Trump should be changing his behavior to fit the demands of his office, not expecting the rest of us to change our standards to fit his own lazy convenience.

Maybe we should vote for this guy:

No Joe Biden. That's not okay.

It's not okay, but he's still a far better candidate than a dim-witted, self-absorbed huckster whose sole motivation is his own direct personal benefit.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

totallackey

« Reply #5224 on: April 27, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
Or trying to defend the idea that you should drink bleach. Not a good idea at all.
Not one person has defended the idea of drinking bleach.

Stop lying.

totallackey

« Reply #5225 on: April 27, 2020, 10:13:30 AM »
I'm not derailing anything. Trump asked whether disinfectants can be used internally. There are Medical Doctors who say that some can.

And their evidence has been found to be lacking.
Oh really...

Forget chemotherapy...

Forget dialysis...

totallackey

« Reply #5226 on: April 27, 2020, 10:14:38 AM »
It's really quite crazy. Trump starts sarcastically 'riffing' during a pandemic briefing and as a result, Lysol, for example, has to spastically update their FAQ:

"Due to recent speculation and social media activity, RB (the makers of Lysol and Dettol) has been asked whether internal administration of disinfectants may be appropriate for investigation or use as a treatment for coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2).

As a global leader in health and hygiene products, we must be clear that under no circumstance should our disinfectant products be administered into the human body (through injection, ingestion, or any other route). As with all products, our disinfectant and hygiene products should only be used as intended and in line with usage guidelines. Please read the label and safety information."
https://www.lysol.com/frequently-asked-questions/

The insanity of it all.
Lysol didn't have to do anything...

I wonder if they still market their product as an effective douche, by the way...

totallackey

« Reply #5227 on: April 27, 2020, 10:31:44 AM »
Nah...

You would rather die than live in a country other than the USA?
Yep.

totallackey

« Reply #5228 on: April 27, 2020, 10:32:48 AM »
Yeah, doesn't mean I have to keep supporting it.
What do you see as the alternative, out of interest?
In a small village you can maybe club together and agree on who maintains the roads, how you defend yourselves against attacks from other villages, whether you're going to have a hospital which you all pay into and everyone can then use for free or whether you have to pay for treatment and it's every man for himself and those who can't pay are screwed.

When you come to a country, that isn't going to work. The party outlines their priorities, what they want to spend money on. If you largely agree with them then you vote for them. If they don't spend money or make policies in the way they said they would then maybe next time you won't vote for them.
It's not a perfect system by any means but what would be better?
Dying seems a better alternative at this point.

Would it be fair to say that you hate democracy as it exists in the US then?
Probably more fair to write the US, existing as Constitutional Republic, no longer exists.

In what ways does what AllAroundTheWorld described differ from the workings of a constitutional republic?
AATW describes tribalism, not a constitutional republic.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:43:04 AM by totallackey »

totallackey

« Reply #5229 on: April 27, 2020, 10:43:59 AM »
You mean, "The Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union?"

That is the full title you know...please read it again.

And I will remind you that more people still clamor to come to the United States than other country in the world.
Yes.  The articles that were very clearly written to give states alot of power over the federal government.  So much so that a NEW constitution was written just so the Federal Government didn't collapse because States did not want to give it tax money.  (Not very uniony)
Wow, you wanted me to read the Articles because you suggested them as an example of the US...

NOT BEING A UNION!!!

When I wrote their FULL TITLE (The Articles of Confederation AND Perpetual UNION), you say, "Hey, forget it...read the US Constitution instead, because that shows you are really right about the solidarity of the US..."

Gee, thanks...
See, American culture is full of self sufficiency.  The idea that if you can't stand on your own, you don't deserve to be helped.
Horse hockey.

More charitable contributions originate from the US than any other nation in the world.
America is the 3rd most populated nation on Earth.  America is also the richest of the top 3.  Therefore, by sheer numbers, they would give more charity.  Might as well compare America to South Africa.  And also remember: Charity is by choice.  Like throwing spare change at a homeless person.  Sure, there are those who are good, generous people.  But they won't give anymore than they feel comfortable giving.  An amount they won't miss.  And lets not forget: It's tax deductable.  Ya know, so the rich will do it more.  Because that's what we need: Bribing people to give to charity.
Yeah...that's right.

People giving the amount they feel comfortable with.

As they do all other things.

AKA...freedom.
You see it in politics when senators put in ear marks to help their states, even if it costs everyone a little bit more.  (like adding an extra $5,000 for a new park in a bill for authorizing weapon sales to France)  You see it in the streets as people walk by a man literally bleeding to death in NYC and ignoring him.  You see it in our neighbors as they "mind their own business".  We Americans want for ourselves, not for others.  We'll happily let a single mom struggle just so we don't have to pay extra in taxes.  So we can keep OUR money.  So we can be sure OUR money isn't funding LAZY people.
Yeah, again with the unsubstantiated broad brush painting.
Not really.  Earmarks are a fact. 
The man bleeding to death while people walked by actually happened.
And "mind your own business" is often said. 

Are you going to deny these things?  Did no one ever tell you "mind your own buisiness"?  Did your parents never teach you to keep your nose out of other people's business?
Yeah, the kids standing outside a chinese restaurant...who were arguing over a piece of tail...

For your example you point to teenagers...

Get real...
My tax dollars are mine, by definition.

I don't need some jackass who thinks he knows better than I do determining how to spend the money I am forced to pay them.
And here we have the crux of America's problem.
Tell me, when do they stop being your tax dollars?  When you pay them?  When the IRS processes them?  When the government spends them?  When that spent money goes to someone else's paycheck?
If your tax dollars (somehow) are marked, taken out of your pay, sent into the pot, then used to hire a contractor to fix up Yellow Stone Park's visitor center and is used (partly) to pay for the plumber who fixes the leaky pipe... is it still YOUR tax money, or is now the Plumber's salary?

How about when you pay your rent/Mortgage?  Is it still your money after you pay?  After the bank puts it to someone's loan?
It is always my money if it has been taken by force.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 02:27:23 PM by totallackey »

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: April 27, 2020, 01:41:30 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/25/us/politics/trump-election-briefings.html

I do hope the Noble Organization follows through with Mr Trump's orders and revokes all the Noble Prizes it has awarded to journalists in the lamestream media ( as I cleverly like to call it) for covering all the wonderful things his administration has done in such a nasty manner. Shame on them!

Love the "I meant to do that!" angle. He's taking his cues from Pee Wee Herman now, how wise.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: April 27, 2020, 04:58:18 PM »
Nah...

Yep.
Oh dear. Are you one of those #MAGA people who likes to wave their little Stars and Stripes and chant U-S-A! U-S-A! and who genuinely believes that the US is the best country in the world. You might want to look away now

https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-best-countries-us-not-top-five-1300813
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But like most countries you have a bunch of problems, there's nothing that special about you apart from a lot of you believing there is. Fine line between patriotism and jingoism...
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Online Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: April 27, 2020, 05:02:52 PM »
Yeah, doesn't mean I have to keep supporting it.
What do you see as the alternative, out of interest?
In a small village you can maybe club together and agree on who maintains the roads, how you defend yourselves against attacks from other villages, whether you're going to have a hospital which you all pay into and everyone can then use for free or whether you have to pay for treatment and it's every man for himself and those who can't pay are screwed.

When you come to a country, that isn't going to work. The party outlines their priorities, what they want to spend money on. If you largely agree with them then you vote for them. If they don't spend money or make policies in the way they said they would then maybe next time you won't vote for them.
It's not a perfect system by any means but what would be better?
Dying seems a better alternative at this point.

Would it be fair to say that you hate democracy as it exists in the US then?
Probably more fair to write the US, existing as Constitutional Republic, no longer exists.

In what ways does what AllAroundTheWorld described differ from the workings of a constitutional republic?
AATW describes tribalism, not a constitutional republic.

Okay... I get that what he's describing is tribalistic, but in what way is what he described incompatible with the workings of a constitutional republic?
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: April 27, 2020, 08:53:59 PM »
Holy shit, can we stop making this thread about totallackey and his incoherent political ideology? We're supposed to be discussing Trump.

On the notion of basically admitting that he's deliberately withholding federal aid from Democrat-run states.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: April 27, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
Holy shit, can we stop making this thread about totallackey and his incoherent political ideology? We're supposed to be discussing Trump.

On the notion of basically admitting that he's deliberately withholding federal aid from Democrat-run states.

DJT: Why should the people and taxpayers of America be bailing out poorly run states (like Illinois, as example) and cities, in all cases Democrat run and managed, when most of the other states are not looking for bailout help? I am open to discussing anything, but just asking?

Answer: Because many Democratic Blue states like California, Illinois, and New York pay much more in taxes to the federal government than they receive in federal services. By contrast, many GOP Red states like Kentucky and Tennessee take in more money than they give—like welfare states.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: April 27, 2020, 11:23:21 PM »
But that's completely beside the point. Even if he were right that blue states were being poorly governed and red states weren't asking for help, that in no way makes the case that blue states shouldn't receive help. It's a time of crisis, people are dying, and states should be getting the help they need. It's not the time to be playing patronage games and "rewarding" or "punishing" states for mismanaging their resources or not being aligned politically with the president.

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: April 28, 2020, 12:07:10 AM »
I don't understand the Republican point of view. Always complaining about 'their' money being spent on helping others. Selfish.

When I hear that rich blue states are sending money to poor red ones, I'm fine with that.  That's how it SHOULD be.  Those that have plenty helping those that don't. Because you never know when you might be in need next, and also, it's just the right thing to do.

But Republican legislators that vote against disaster relief for blue states are always first in line begging for help when they need it.

totallackey

« Reply #5237 on: April 28, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »
Nah...

Yep.
Oh dear. Are you one of those #MAGA people who likes to wave their little Stars and Stripes and chant U-S-A! U-S-A! and who genuinely believes that the US is the best country in the world. You might want to look away now

https://www.newsweek.com/worlds-best-countries-us-not-top-five-1300813
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-rankings

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. But like most countries you have a bunch of problems, there's nothing that special about you apart from a lot of you believing there is. Fine line between patriotism and jingoism...
I never claimed the US was the best country in the world.

There are no best countries in the world.

Everybody has a problem.

totallackey

« Reply #5238 on: April 28, 2020, 09:59:58 AM »

DJT: Why should the people and taxpayers of America be bailing out poorly run states (like Illinois, as example) and cities, in all cases Democrat run and managed, when most of the other states are not looking for bailout help? I am open to discussing anything, but just asking?

Answer: Because many Democratic Blue states like California, Illinois, and New York pay much more in taxes to the federal government than they receive in federal services. By contrast, many GOP Red states like Kentucky and Tennessee take in more money than they give—like welfare states.
The answer you wrote or quoted is just a flat out lie.

California has a net receipt from the federal government.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 10:58:32 AM by totallackey »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: April 28, 2020, 10:34:17 AM »
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2019/03/20/how-much-federal-funding-each-state-receives-government/39202299/

https://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/federal_revenue_by_state.php

Ex: California.
Population: 40 million.
40m x $12 = $480 million for people.
$436.1 billion in total from Feds.
Total paid in taxes: $456.6 Billion.

So California gives more than it takes.

Kentucky:
Population: 4.5 million.
4.5m x $9,145 = $41.1 Billion for people.
Total taxes given by the feds: $70.8 billion
Total paid in taxes: $34.8 Billion

So Kentucky takes more than it gives.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.