Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Pre-NASA space conspiracy
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:17:02 PM »

In the historical figures section on the wiki, a long quote is given from Winship, where he delivers a scathing review of his contemporary astronomers in 1899.

I tried reading further, but theres not a lot of discussion about the motives or reasons for the doubt of the shape of the earth and findings of astronomers until the space flight era. These more modern reasons I can totally understand. There is a valid argument that having dominance in space provides geopolitical power (the US has absolutely achieved that).

I'll stay completely out of the thread after this question, I'm just trying to understand more about the origins of the skepticism surrounding pre-NASA astronomy and the shape of the earth.

Re: Pre-NASA space conspiracy
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:45:00 AM »
Good question, I hope someone chimes in who is more knowledgable.

My thoughts drift to jules verne and hg wells.  There was significant and wildly popular (and advertised / popularized) "globe earth" and "space" propoganda coming from these writers - and I love hg wells men in the moon to this day.  Windowblinds which are painted with a gravity insulating material, and used to selectively open towards the sun rocketing the craft away from the earth towards which the blinds were closed - fabulous!

This continues into houdin/melies, the creation of hollywood, and the techniques and technology involved to fake space into the future.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 03:57:45 PM by jack44556677 »