Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Russia Invades Ukraine
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 03:27:00 AM »
Anyway, we all know that it's actually all about katsung somehow.

It's all an elaborate setup by the FBI to lure him out of his bunker?

Eddy Baby

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 08:04:19 PM »
I am gearing up for the great war of our time.

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »
Russia has broken international law.

Which means bugger all. What's the point of having a law if you can't enforce it.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 10:48:40 PM »

Which means bugger all. What's the point of having a law if you can't enforce it.

What international law? If you're talking about UN laws, the UN is utterly useless. They haven't wrangled with NATO yet, but Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia have all called a NATO meeting because they feel threatened because Russia invaded one of it's old satellite nations without provocation. Putin threatened to nuke Ukraine if it joined NATO, just to give everyone an idea of how much Russia just loves NATO.

Thork

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 12:41:51 AM »

You mean putting its troops in another nation's territory without actually declaring war? Like the US did in Iraq, or Afghanistan or Vietnam? I think the subtle difference is that the Russians haven't actually started killing people without a declaration of war so I guess if you are going to break the law, you should just go balls out.

I wonder if there is a more hypocritical nation on earth?

Rama Set

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:16 AM »
England was right there with them for 2 of the 3.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 12:56:47 AM »
You mean putting its troops in another nation's territory without actually declaring war? Like the US did in Iraq, or Afghanistan or Vietnam? I think the subtle difference is that the Russians haven't actually started killing people without a declaration of war so I guess if you are going to break the law, you should just go balls out.

???

Why is it that no matter what is being discussed, you bring up the US? You must think about it a lot.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:08 AM »

???

Why is it that no matter what is being discussed, you bring up the US? You must think about it a lot.

The American tension.  He has stars and stripes envy.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 05:56:56 AM »

Not the same situation at all.

Rama Set

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »

Not the same situation at all.

As Thork's sits on his high horse I wonder if he realizes that the UK did not declare war on Afghanistan or Iraq either?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

Did we not ask for a declaration of war with Vietnam? That's shitty. Although I suppose 'shitty' neatly sums up the entirety of the Vietnam war.

But there is a difference with Iraq and Afghanistan, which is that we had been attacked. Ukrainian militants have yet to begin trying to blow up the Kremlin to my knowledge. We were trying to ensure our own safety. Russia is trying to rebuild its empire.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:57:54 PM by Tausami »
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
Russia trying to build an Empire is like Kevin James trying to get fat.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
I would just like to point out to the e-lawyers here that a formal declaration of war isn't some kind of strict legal prerequisite to any military action.  It's really just a formality that's pretty outdated in this day and age.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:56:49 PM by Saddam Hussein »

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 08:19:29 PM »
I would just like to point out to the e-lawyers here that an formal declaration of war isn't some kind of strict legal prerequisite to any military action.  It's really just a formality that's pretty outdated in this day and age.

In the US the president can only send in troops for a certain period of time.  If that period of time expires and Congress has not declared war, the troops must withdraw per US law.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
I would just like to point out to the e-lawyers here that an formal declaration of war isn't some kind of strict legal prerequisite to any military action.  It's really just a formality that's pretty outdated in this day and age.

It's not about declaring war. It's about invading a country as a military occupying power.

If it wasn't for international law the US and France would be in Syria by now. Although admittedly it didn't stop the UK and US invading Iraq.

Rama Set

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 08:46:45 PM »

Did we not ask for a declaration of war with Vietnam? That's shitty. Although I suppose 'shitty' neatly sums up the entirety of the Vietnam war.

But there is a difference with Iraq and Afghanistan, which is that we had been attacked. Ukrainian militants have yet to begin trying to blow up the Kremlin to my knowledge. We were trying to ensure our own safety. Russia is trying to rebuild its empire.

Neither Iraq, nor Ahghanistan, but especially Iraq attacked the US.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

Neither Iraq, nor Ahghanistan, but especially Iraq attacked the US.

Well, we had exactly no reason to invade Iraq. But we *had* been recently attacked, and we were able to pretend we did. As for Afghanistan, our stated policy is to not particularly care that terrorists are not explicitly endorsed by their governments. So they might as well have attacked us.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Rama Set

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »
At least they could have gotten some mileage from pissing off the US mirite?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:28 PM »
In the US the president can only send in troops for a certain period of time.  If that period of time expires and Congress has not declared war, the troops must withdraw per US law.

Or Congress can give an equivalent authorization, which is invariably what they do.  And that's only since 1973.

It's not about declaring war. It's about invading a country as a military occupying power.

I agree.  That's why I wanted to clear up Tausami and Thork's misconception that it was about declaring war.

Thork

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:32 PM »
As Thork's sits on his high horse I wonder if he realizes that the UK did not declare war on Afghanistan or Iraq either?
Well aware and I know that horrible little bastard William Hague is over in Kiev right now telling people what to do. I wish he'd just fuck off and leave them to it. Its not our business.

But there is a difference with Iraq and Afghanistan, which is that we had been attacked.
I'm sorry, I must have missed that. How exactly did Iraq attack the US? I was under the impression the US made up a story about them having chemical weapons and then attacked them, knowing full well they didn't have any.

I'd like to know what exactly Russia have done that is illegal, that the US didn't do in Iraq, Vietnam or Afghanistan? Somehow the perception is Russia is doing something illegal. What exactly?

I also see the US threatening to kick Russia out of the G8. I wasn't aware the US was in charge of the G8?

Also, just wondering, whose side is China on? Unlike us, they seem to be minding their own business as usual.