Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: Zimmerman could be innocent
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2013, 04:11:14 AM »
@Yaakov: There's no excuse for double-posting when you're making shorter posts like that and you've acknowledged such yourself before. Edit your posts if you have more to add.

Anyway, I agree mostly with Rama here, but I very mildly agree with Sean that men have a much, much harder time arguing abuse. Social stigmas basically pressure men into staying quiet because people expect men to be "tough" and to not show emotion or weakness, plus there are plenty who believe that women can't abuse men and if they do get hit, they should just suck it up. I wouldn't go as far as saying women "bitch and moan" about it; domestic abuse is a serious issue and is not something someone should put up with.

I can't fully understand some women's trains of thought (e.g., Rihanna—he beat her to a pulp and she kept wanting him back!), but I know it's a complicated thing.

All that said, I don't think it's something either sex should have to deal with. As a nice rule of thumb, I just don't hit people period. If I ever slapped or hit a guy I'd see little reason he couldn't do the same back.

So yeah, I don't know what's going on between Zimmerman and his girlfriend, but I think it'd probably be best for both of them if they weren't together, no matter who is the one that's actually to blame.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 04:41:19 AM »
Supes, I said before I was just being a dick before, I will even apologize if anyone was offended. My main points are as follows:

A man should not hit a woman. A woman should also not hit a man, however, physiologically, men do tend to be significantly larger and stronger than a woman. If a woman slapped me, for instance, I don't think it would be okay to pummel her, or even hit her back if I could defend myself without it.

However, I believe if in an abusive relationship, there is no good reason for a woman to stay in it. If she feels she is in danger if she leaves, I think there are ways she can better protect herself. If she stays because "HE'S A GOOD GUY WHEN HE'S NOT BEATING THE SHIT OUT OF ME!"  I refuse to go out of my way to feel sorry for this woman, I am sorry. She made a choice to put up with being beat.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2013, 04:50:11 AM »
Well, having been a male in a violent relationship, where she came at me with everything from fists to six inch butcher knives, I can give you personal experience of what its like for a man to be abused, and not know how to deal with it. My ex-wife is from a foreign land, where we lived. Trust me, their courts would have laughed their ass off if I had reported this kind of thing. Hell, the Police would have busted up in my face.

Sadly, in order to protect myself, I had to fight back. I never hurt her seriously, but I was stronger than she, and usually she got the worst end of it, once I had managed to hurt her enough to get the fucking butcher knife away from her. Don't think this isn't something that I don't live with every day, because it is. I was not raised to hit women, ever. The fact that I had to is still a very painful thing for me to accept. But trust me, sometimes, it is necessary.