Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Man in Vermon creates a rifle using a shovel.
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
Just to prove a point this guy bought a shovel (and with some spare parts lying around) manufactured an AK-ish rifle, that looks like complete garbage but it, per his pictures, bullseye accurate with normal ammunition.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!

Re: Man in Vermon creates a rifle using a shovel.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:47:15 AM »
Why does he hate people who buy AK's?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:52:41 AM »
He took the shovel apart and used the raw material (completely reshaped) along with a few pre-manufactured parts to put the rifle together.  That's not nearly as impressive as his "guys I literally converted this shovel into a rifle" boast implies.  That's not to say that building a rifle isn't impressive in its own right, but he lost the right to brag about it really being a shovel when the shovel lost its shape.  Otherwise, taking his claim to its logical conclusion, anyone could brag about how their gun is really just a few chunks of unshaped metal.

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »
Just to prove a point this guy bought a shovel (and with some spare parts lying around) manufactured an AK-ish rifle, that looks like complete garbage but it, per his pictures, bullseye accurate with normal ammunition.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/179192-DIY-Shovel-AK-photo-tsunami-warning!
Once again another gun nut. What a complete wackjob hes not so difrent from other gun owners
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
What if I don't happen to have random gun parts around the house? Can this still be done?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:48:34 PM »
What if I don't happen to have random gun parts around the house? Can this still be done?
Why would you want to even be like on those nut cases in the first place? There flippin crazy!!!!!!!
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 10:50:06 PM »
Why would you want to even be like on those nut cases in the first place? There flippin crazy!!!!!!!

Because currently I don't have a gun, but if the country went sideways, it'd be nice to know that I could construct one out of a shovel.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Excelsior John

• View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 10:54:03 PM »

Because currently I don't have a gun, but if the country went sideways, it'd be nice to know that I could construct one out of a shovel.
What?
Viva la FES!

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:39:37 AM »

I assume you could go the distance and turn numerous other household parts into gun accessories. The shovel was really more of a example than anything.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 01:54:41 AM »
Guns?  Pfft.

Crossbows are just as effective, far more silent, and if I want to kill people, I'm gonna use explosives. 

I'm an Area of Effect kind of guy.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 01:57:00 AM »
Crossbows are just as effective
No crossbow holds 30 arrows that can be fired in less than ten seconds.

, far more silent, and if I want to kill people, I'm gonna use explosives. 
Then why do you even give a shit about silence?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »
Crossbows are just as effective
No crossbow holds 30 arrows that can be fired in less than ten seconds.
Allen Quartermain: If you can't do it with one bullet, don't do it at all.
Or in this case, one arrow.

, far more silent, and if I want to kill people, I'm gonna use explosives. 
Then why do you even give a shit about silence?
I said "People" not "a person". 
Explosives are for multiple targets.  I mean, guns can't hit all enemies in a half-sphere in the span of milliseconds.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 05:19:19 AM »
Shotguns can if you shorten the barrel, but explosives are just fun to watch.  I'd consider my bomb a dud if it didn't blow up the entire structure it was placed in.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:43:49 AM »
Not very easily without the right equipment and metal working skills. 

I'm building two AKs at the moment.  Both are from parts kits I bought (just a complete bunch of parts minus the receiver).  The receiver on the other hand, was purchased as a 'flat', and therefore not a firearm.  Once I put those flats in a jig (got a metal break or bending jig?) and bent them, they became 'firearm receivers'.  So yeah, as long as one can obtain 'parts', one can make the receiver out of a flat... or a shovel.

Then comes the de-milling (grinding and removing of old rivets if remains of old cut up receiver are still attached to trunions), pressing the pin and barrel out (do you have a 12 ton press?), filing of new receiver for correct fit of trunions, tacking in of rails (clamp type spot welder), riveting tool, pressing barrel back in, more riveting, headspace check (requires headspace gauges), heat treating (torch), and re-finishing (paint, heat treat paint, or parkering (special chemicals and process, etc)

Or, get an AR parts kit with a complete upper, find a stripped lower receiver (the part that requires ffl, paperwork, etc), and put it together with a small punch, hammer, and screw driver in a half hour or less.

The panic buy prices of last year are over..... for now (can't speak for a year from now).  ARs can be had for $400-500 if home built, $600+ at stores.  I would just try to save up the green and buy one now.  Ammo is also back down to a somewhat tolerable price.  1000 rounds of 5.56 costs $400-450 if bought in bulk (was $900 earlier this year).  10,20,30 rnd mags can all be found under $10. 

Yep, find the right places to buy and for less than $1000 you'll have a nice rifle and a decent amount of ammo to survive any end of the world/political chaos uprising/zombie onslaught that may arise, with enough for some training before-hand.

The AR platform is the 'lego set' of firearms.  Mail order a 9mm upper, pull two takedown pins, swap uppers, done.  You can get a drop-in 22lr conversion for cheap practice too.

I assume you could go the distance and turn numerous other household parts into gun accessories. The shovel was really more of a example than anything.
Certainly an interesting way to come up with a receiver.  I saw another series of pictures by the same guy where he made a single shot shotgun look like an RPG launcher.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 06:12:50 AM »
Allen Quatermain (notice: no 'r' letter in the 1st syllable) was a wise man. & the only reason I know the spelling of his name is because I just bought the Complete Works of Sir Henry Rider Haggard (about 50 novels; exactly 12,544 pgs on my Nook) for $3.99. 1 or 2 of the films based on the character got it wrong too. Common mistake.

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »

You missed out the part where he shows you how to make it!

Do you not think there's something wrong with that?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 10:28:08 AM »

You missed out the part where he shows you how to make it!

Do you not think there's something wrong with that?

No, there is nothing wrong with that.

He made a shitty looking upper receiver out of a shovel.  He could have spent $10 to get proper steel to make it out of, but he chose to make it out of a household item.  It works, but it is not practical.

He purchased the barrel and the other 95% of the weapon.  So what if he made the upper receiver?  He still bought most of the weapon.  He is not showing kids how to make a firearm using their bicycle frame, a nail, and a cigarette lighter. 

Oh, and that is the ugliest stalk I have ever seen.  However, it is good to know that I can make a stalk out of a shovel handle, if I ever need to. 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »
Oh, and that is the ugliest stalk I have ever seen.  However, it is good to know that I can make a stalk out of a shovel handle, if I ever need to. 

Have you gone through your entire life thinking that that's how you spell "stock"?

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 11:01:43 PM »

Have you gone through your entire life thinking that that's how you spell "stock"?

No, but I went through an entire 12 pack thinking it.