Re: Religion and for-profit business
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Scientology shouldn't even be classified as a religion, sadly it is.

Why not?
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2013, 11:18:53 PM »
ITT: People on the Internet express their disdain for Scientology.  So brave.

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2013, 02:39:07 AM »
Because Tom Cruise.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2013, 03:28:25 AM »
While "religion" is a difficult term to define, insofar as it is a belief system that attempts to explain the supernatural and humanity's relation to it, I would say that Scientology is indeed a religion.  Being stupid doesn't stop it from being a religion.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2013, 04:30:24 AM »
Scientology shouldn't even be classified as a religion, sadly it is.

Why not?
A parliamentary report classifies Scientology as a cult in France. They require a fee to join a religion, an absurd idea if I've ever heard one. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who speaks out against them they track down, follow, or otherwise attempt to discredit. They even went after the creators of South Park after they made fun of Scientology in an episode.

Here's the source for the South Park deal, let me know if you want any other ones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/24/church-of-scientology-investigate-south-park_n_1027538.html

If you want more information on their exploits, just search "scientology controversies" on Wikipedia. If for some reason you don't trust Wikipedia, there's still over a hundred sources on the bottom of the page.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2013, 06:34:59 AM »
I'm pretty sure that virtually everyone on the Internet knows how aggressive and loony Scientology is.  But again, that doesn't stop it being a religion.

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
The Christian God requires a fee, in the form of a tithe, in order to be in his good grace.  Requiring money is not the marker of a cult.  Scientology is founded on faith and faith alone, much like a religion.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2013, 02:13:26 PM »
The Christian God requires a fee, in the form of a tithe, in order to be in his good grace.  Requiring money is not the marker of a cult.  Scientology is founded on faith and faith alone, much like a religion.

I think you mean catholic.

And it's entirely voluntary these days.

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2013, 03:05:26 PM »
Other sects of Christianity require a tithe be given,  they cleverly call it an offering though.  While it's "voluntary" the bible still tells its followers to give to the church, which basically means that if you don't donate then you are not following the bible.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2013, 03:13:19 PM »
Other sects of Christianity require a tithe be given,  they cleverly call it an offering though.  While it's "voluntary" the bible still tells its followers to give to the church, which basically means that if you don't donate then you are not following the bible.

Chapter and verse?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2013, 03:28:52 PM »

Chapter and verse?

1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7, Acts 2:44-47, Acts 4:34-35, Acts 5:1-11.  That last one is especially explicit.  God actually kills a couple for holding some money back.

Offline spank86

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2013, 03:37:16 PM »

Chapter and verse?

1 Corinthians 16:2, 2 Corinthians 9:7, Acts 2:44-47, Acts 4:34-35, Acts 5:1-11.  That last one is especially explicit.  God actually kills a couple for holding some money back.

Thanks.

It's been a couple of decades since i read the whole thing and I didn't fancy slogging through all that tripe again.

The story telling really goes downhill after the old testament.

EDIT: most of those are about sharing money in a community and giving to the poor not to the rich church, although I grant you Paul was a cunning bugger on that front, way to twist Jesus' supposed teachings.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:43:07 PM by spank86 »

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
A parliamentary report classifies Scientology as a cult in France. They require a fee to join a religion, an absurd idea if I've ever heard one.

At least it's just money they want and not my foreskin in order to join.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
A parliamentary report classifies Scientology as a cult in France. They require a fee to join a religion, an absurd idea if I've ever heard one.

Catholicism wants your eternal soul so...

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2013, 05:15:06 PM »

Catholicism wants your eternal soul so...

Do they also want my wings? Or my tail?
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.