Rama Set

York University Supports Religiously Motivated Prejudice
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:53:17 PM »
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/01/09/york-u-prof-wont-let-male-student-opt-out-of-working-with-female-classmates

My Alumni refused to grow a pair and tell this sexist douche to that his beliefs have no place in a public forum.  Although I think such beliefs are barbaric, if someone wants to practice this in their personal life, that's fine.  But asking someone else to accommodate your discrimination is too far.

Re: York University Supports Religiously Motivated Prejudice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 04:30:02 PM »
Well good for the professor.  Doesn't the student know that all-male colleges exist?  He knew this would be a problem wen he went to college.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
If genders were treated as equal, there would be no reason why students would be forced to work with the opposite gender. All pairings of gender should have the same value. I don't think we're going to reach the point of "gender equality" until people stop obsessing about it and make ham-fisted approaches such as this one.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 04:50:38 PM »
If genders were treated as equal, there would be no reason why students would be forced to work with the opposite gender. All pairings of gender should have the same value. I don't think we're going to reach the point of "gender equality" until people stop obsessing about it and make ham-fisted approaches such as this one.

They likely were not forced intially.  There was probably some sort of random selection made or a selection that assumed the pairings would not be protested on religious grounds.  The bigot then complained and the professor rightfully said "no".

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »
The professor's argument is invalid. He claims that he does not want to promote a system where someone doesn't want to work with a certain group. Nowhere did this student say he didn't want to work with the female students, just that his religion forbid it.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:34:52 PM »
Alumnus (alumni being the plural) is the term for the graduate of the university, not the university itself. /nitpick

Anyway, I agree with the professor.  This kind of nonsense shouldn't be tolerated.  Where's Thork with a rant about liberals and multiculturalism when you need him?

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 01:42:18 AM »
Thork was the professor.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
That's idiotic. I'm glad I didn't apply to York University. This would probably make me decide not to go there. 'Religious reasons' aren't enough to ask a university to segregate people like that. Beside the uncomfortable assumptions it makes about gender binary, that guy's religion is his own problem. If he didn't want to be confronted with situations in which he would have to 'intermingle' with women, maybe he should have avoided going to a coed university. Really, that's just asking for trouble.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Thork

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 07:18:17 PM »
Its nonsense anyway. I'll bet half the students didn't even show up for the exercise. Take a zero, put it with all the other zeros and hope you get the 40% average you need to pass the year.

I wonder if this same guy will be asking his employers if he can avoid working with the female staff. That's going to be a bit career limiting.

Rama Set

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
Not if he emigrates to Saudi Arabia. Updating the story: the student relented and worked with the female and the professor was not punished. Another victory for Christopher Hitchens!

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 11:48:22 AM »
This is like the controversy surrounding the University of Cambridge in which a visiting speaker insisted that males and females not sit together (Coincidentally, the women should sit at the back.)

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/we-must-never-allow-gender-segregation-at-our-universities-for-any-reason-9009886.html