Offline Socker

• View Profile
Satan comes to Oklahoma
« on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/satanists-unveil-design-okla-capitol-monument-21440030

Satanists want to put a 7 foot statue of Baphomet in Oklahoma's Capitol. Unsurprisingly, people are not happy.

Re: Satan comes to Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
Huh.  Seems they decided to leave out the graphic display interface for children that I read about.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:22:22 AM »
I'm okay with this.
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:16 AM »
Ironically if they "do not see Satanism as a religion" then there's even fewer grounds for rejecting the monument. Of course the solution is simple. get rid of the ten commandments monument.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
Quote from: http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/satanists-unveil-design-okla-capitol-monument-21440030

"I think you've got to remember where you are. This is Oklahoma, the middle of the heartland," said Rep. Don Armes, R-Faxon. "I think we need to be tolerant of people who think different than us, but this is Oklahoma, and that's not going to fly here so we hate everyone who doesn't love Jesus like we do."

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »
Satanists are better Christians than most Christians are, imo. They should be excited to allow this monument to be set up.
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:34:50 AM »
Satanists are better Christians than most Christians are, imo. They should be excited to allow this monument to be set up.
I guess from a Christian perspective, Satanists are following what they're closer to. Humans are supposed to be inherently evil.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 03:01:55 AM »
I guess from a Christian perspective, Satanists are following what they're closer to. Humans are supposed to be inherently evil.

Satanism and Christianity are pretty similar. Satanism is strictly individualistic while Christianity is arguably collectivist, and Satanism is more accepting of violence, but the two religions have similar philosophies. Especially LaVeyan satanism.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 03:51:27 AM »
I read the Satanic Bible of LaVey a few yrs back. I didn't find it evil so much as ruggedly individualistic. Its no more or less evil than any Left Hand Path religion, which is most common in the East (Left Handed Tantric Buddhism or Hinduism, for example), but can be found as offshoots of Western Faiths too. Some forms of Kabbala are arguably Left Handed, both Jewish & Hermetic. Granted, Jewish Kabbala, & Hindu & Buddhist Faith are predominantly Right Handed, but the fact that Left Handed variants even exist tells you something. LaVeyan Satanism is no more evil than that. I suppose other forms could be more sinister, of course.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:00:29 AM »

Satanism and Christianity are pretty similar. Satanism is strictly individualistic while Christianity is arguably collectivist, and Satanism is more accepting of violence, but the two religions have similar philosophies. Especially LaVeyan satanism.
I don't know a whole lot about Satanism, but isn't it just basically self worship almost? Like your birthday is the most important holiday, and you should do whatever you want?

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 04:32:32 AM »

I don't know a whole lot about Satanism, but isn't it just basically self worship almost? Like your birthday is the most important holiday, and you should do whatever you want?

Not really. It emphasizes things like self-actualization, skepticism, creativity, education, etc. Theistic Satanism doesn't say much about morality, pretty much leaving it up to personal philosophy. LaVeyan Satanism is an atheistic religion that worships Satan metaphorically.

Wikipedia says their sins are stupidity, solipsism, herd conformity, conceit, self-deceit, "forgetfulness of past orthodoxies" (basically, ignoring historical perspective), excessive pride, and lack of aesthetics. That really tells you everything you need to know about Satanism as a whole.

One of my Tumblr mutuals is a satanist and posts about it a lot.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »
Anton LaVey was interviewed by The Thinking Atheist about a year or so ago and it seemed to be a religion which doesn't take itself too seriously and revels in the dark gothic imagary. I remember not being enamoured by the overly libertarian nature of it, though.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:23:07 AM »
Anton LaVey was interviewed by The Thinking Atheist about a year or so ago
How do you interview a dead person?
The Mastery.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
Anton LaVey was interviewed by The Thinking Atheist about a year or so ago
How do you interview a dead person?

Must have been his replacement.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
Making stupidity a sin is a damn good idea.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

Rama Set

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:13 PM »
If they do not consider themselves religious they can only really make the case for their monument of free speech infringement, and if that is the case it will not be hard for an obviously biased, bigoted government to beat this funny idea back.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 08:15:24 PM »
Sadly this will never be put up.  Too many centuries of a bad reputation has made the very word Satan or devil to mean evil as well as any image of him.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
According to the creators of SatanTM, he is evil. Not that that is a good reason to not build statues of him, but when people ask for a statue of him, basically to make a statement, you cannot be surprised when it gets turned down.

Offline Socker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 10:49:42 PM »
According to the creators of SatanTM, he is evil. Not that that is a good reason to not build statues of him, but when people ask for a statue of him, basically to make a statement, you cannot be surprised when it gets turned down.
Does Satanism promote anything that would be illegal in modern society? Murder, rape, theft, ect.?

Rama Set

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:29 AM »
Does Satanism promote anything that would be illegal in modern society? Murder, rape, theft, ect.?

No, but I do not think that is why it would get turned down. I think it is more to do with showing Christianity in a bad light. I also think Christians in Oklahoma would try and block a wall mural showing the slaughter and rape of the Amalachites. If you have Christians in power and it is socially accepted that they can and should push their agenda, as seems to be the case in Oklahoma, then you should not be surprised when your somewhat insincere request contrary to their wishes is denied. It's not right, but it's not shocking either.