Offline Jeppspace

• 0 + 0 = 0
    • View Profile
    • YllwChlk
Facial Recognition At Airports
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
This is creepy...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennysouthan/2018/03/09/british-airways-installs-big-brother-style-facial-recognition-gates-at-more-us-airports/

Passport not necessary?

Moreover, this was never announced anywhere in the world that I've heard of, prior to getting the go ahead.

Nothing about it in the news.

When did we vote for this???
Anyone who would pay Richard Branson hundreds of thousands of dollars for the visual confirmation that we are all doomed to the unforgiving abyss of space, definitely deserves to know that.

: Infinite ¥ : Szion = : Plane

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
Re: Facial Recognition At Airports
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 02:38:49 PM »
Yes, I saw the same thing. No one gives a crap anymore, unfortunately. It is weird how things have changed dramatically in the past few years. Everyone here in the US (that was sensible) was up in arms against the Patriot Act and all the unwarranted tapping of cellphones, etc. Cheered when Edward Snowden broke the news on NSA spying. Cheered when we were able to stop the one internet act several years ago.

Now, its the complete opposite. What the fuck happened?
BobLawBlah.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
Yes, I saw the same thing. No one gives a crap anymore, unfortunately. It is weird how things have changed dramatically in the past few years. Everyone here in the US (that was sensible) was up in arms against the Patriot Act and all the unwarranted tapping of cellphones, etc. Cheered when Edward Snowden broke the news on NSA spying. Cheered when we were able to stop the one internet act several years ago.

Now, its the complete opposite. What the fuck happened?

No one gives a crap anymore because we all have the technology. This quote from the book Blown to Bits comes to mind.

Many devices got cheaper, better, and smaller. Once they became useful
consumer goods, we stopped worrying about their uses as surveillance
devices. For example, if the police were the only ones who had cameras in
their cell phones, we would be alarmed. But as long as we have them too, so
we can send our friends funny pictures from parties, we don’t mind so much
that others are taking pictures of us. The social evolution that was supported
by consumer technologies in turn made us more accepting of new enabling
technologies; the social and technological evolutions have proceeded hand in
hand.
(page 21)
We are smarter than those scientists.
I see multiple contradicting explanations. You guys should have a pow-wow and figure out how your model works.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
Good point.
BobLawBlah.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
How is it creepy?

I flew last night. Landed at Heathrow and instead of having to wait in a long line I just went to one of those machines, put my passport in, the facial recognition software did its thing and off I went. Loads quicker.

"They" knew I was flying anyway because of my passport number. I don't think "they" really care though.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »
Facial recognition has been in use for a while now in higher end cell phones.  Rumor has it that Apple is looking to put the fingerprint reader back into their next iPhone so that they can use 2 tier biometric authentication (facial and fingerprint) in place of real IDs like passports and such.  How scary might that be?
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/09/apple-wants-iphone-to-be-proof-of-identity-and-replace-passports
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 03:28:37 PM »
I don't think its necessarily that the technology exists and that it is being used. But more of the potential of what it can be used for. Facebook for example is a horrible example of invasion of privacy, profiting off of personal information, etc. Thats not cool in my book. It could get more nefarious than that and probably already is.
BobLawBlah.