Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
Re: Trump
« Reply #5040 on: April 03, 2020, 09:18:52 AM »
https://www.vox.com/2020/4/2/21204228/trump-coronavirus-crisis-impeachment-trial-professor-pamela-karlan-warning

It can't be stressed enough that nearly half of the country feels that behavior like this is perfectly acceptable.  In fact a solid majority of Americans approve of Trump's handling of the crisis, which is kind of insane.

Meanwhile, outsiders looking in are horrified
=============================
Not Flat. Happy to prove this, if you ask me.

Nearly all flat earthers agree the earth is not a globe.

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: April 03, 2020, 09:48:58 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/vCf4ewa

Remember when Obama refused aid to the states that weren't nice to him? Nobody does.

Nearly?

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: April 03, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
Wowzers. You can't say he's not a record-breaking president...

Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: April 03, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
Can't blame him for it.  Many will but this isn't on him, its on Corona.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: April 03, 2020, 03:04:05 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/74-journalism-professors-sign-letter-140813648.html

Something struck me about this article. The average age of Fox News viewers is 65. Thanks to their downplaying of the threat these people aren't treating it seriously. And they are the most likely to die should they get the virus...

It's like Fox News is trying to kill a significant amount of their viewership. I hate to sound ghoulish, and I don't want it to be interpreted that I want hundreds of thousands of people to senselessly die because I don't... but this tactic of theirs can only help Biden in November. So, yeah, whatever.

He deserves exactly as much credit for unemployment going up as he does for it being low for most of his time in office. If he wants to take full credit when the economy is going well, he should be ready to take blame when it isn't. He's the one who's spent the last 4 years trying to convince the American people that he's responsible for the economy's performance, after all. You reap what you sow.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 03:21:42 PM by Roundy »
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: April 03, 2020, 03:48:39 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/trump-shocked-to-learn-3m-selling-masks-overseas-after-1842658120

Free market capitalism is awesome until it isn't, I guess. Another example of Trump being asleep at the wheel.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: April 03, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/trump-shocked-to-learn-3m-selling-masks-overseas-after-1842658120

Free market capitalism is awesome until it isn't, I guess. Another example of Trump being asleep at the wheel.

Man, that article was very biased.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Roundy

• View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: April 03, 2020, 05:09:35 PM »

Most articles about Trump are (let's face it). In what way does the bias affect the accuracy of what's being reported?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: April 03, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »

As long as it's not factually incorrect ...

Nearly?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: April 03, 2020, 06:19:49 PM »

Most articles about Trump are (let's face it). In what way does the bias affect the accuracy of what's being reported?

Same way they all do:
Omitting facts that alter context, using language to convey different assumptions or emotions to steer the reader to a specific conclusion.

I just didn't enjoy reading it.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: April 04, 2020, 09:17:19 AM »

How about this one? Biased or factual/realistic?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/04/trump-coronavirus-science-analysis

Guardian also reports that Congressman Adam Schiff drafted a bill to establish a commission to probe the coronavirus response. The Democratic lawmaker said the commission would seek to gather lessons for future crises.

Trump then dismissed the idea of a commission yesterday as a “witch-hunt”.

Sheesh, it's almost like he WANTS Americans to get sick and die. Dismantled the Pandemic Response team that was specifically set up to deal with stuff like this, now doesn't want to have anyone look into how lessons could be learned to help in the future.

Meanwhile, rumour has it he's playing golf at one of his clubs this weekend.

Also...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/03/jared-kushner-coronavirus-pandemic

"If Kushner weren’t married to the boss’s daughter he would not be anywhere near the Oval Office. But Trump treats the presidency like a family business, and we know how that has ended before: a passel of bankruptcies and a pile of debt."
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:32:33 AM by Tumeni »

Nearly?

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: April 04, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »
The US is deep into Orwell's world of newspeak;

"A reporter at the White House briefing asked Trump why Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and senior adviser, referred to “our stockpile” yesterday when asked about states struggling to get key medical supplies, especially ventilators, from the federal government. (Kushner had said: “The notion of the federal stockpile was it’s supposed to be our stockpile. It’s not supposed to be states’ stockpiles that they then use.”)

Trump just gave a very confusing response, saying: “You know what ‘our’ means? The United States of America. Our, our, and then we take that ‘our’ and we distribute it to the states.”

The reporter responded: “So why did he say it’s not supposed to be states’ stockpiles?”

Trump: “Because we need it for the government, we need it for the federal government. To keep for our country because the federal government needs it, too, not just the states. But out of that we choose oftentimes, as an example, we have almost 10,000 ventilators and we are ready to rock...we are going to bring them to various areas of the country that need them. But when he says ‘our’ he is talking about “our country” he is talking about the federal government. You should be ashamed of yourself...don’t make it sound bad...you just asked your question in a very nasty way.”

In fact, yesterday reporters quickly noted the stockpile is indeed meant as a resource for the states, as noted on the department of health and human services’ website.

“When state, local, tribal, and territorial responders request federal assistance to support their response efforts, the stockpile ensures that the right medicines and supplies get to those who need them most during an emergency,” the website read.

But this morning, that language had been removed from the HHS website. “The Strategic National Stockpile’s role is to supplement state and local supplies during public health emergencies,” the website now says. “Many states have products stockpiled, as well.”"

Don't like the DHHS policy? Change the website to make it look as though it was never policy....

When will they start photoshopping non-believers out of photos?

Nearly?

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: April 04, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »
Oh, look, Trump tried to sneak this one in quietly on Friday night:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-fires-intelligence-community-inspector-general-164287

This is not draining the swamp. This is Trump getting payback on someone who did their job responsibly and in doing so inconvenienced him. You, hypothetical Trump-supporting reader, do not benefit from this. Trump benefits from this. Everything Trump does is to benefit himself. You can crow all you like about how he's working for you and owning the libs and all that, but Trump doesn't share your sense of loyalty, and would throw you under the bus just as quickly as any liberal if he thought he'd benefit from it.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: April 04, 2020, 06:10:57 PM »
Oh, look, Trump tried to sneak this one in quietly on Friday night:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/03/trump-fires-intelligence-community-inspector-general-164287

This is not draining the swamp. This is Trump getting payback on someone who did their job responsibly and in doing so inconvenienced him. You, hypothetical Trump-supporting reader, do not benefit from this. Trump benefits from this. Everything Trump does is to benefit himself. You can crow all you like about how he's working for you and owning the libs and all that, but Trump doesn't share your sense of loyalty, and would throw you under the bus just as quickly as any liberal if he thought he'd benefit from it.

Oh no, Trump fired some moron who protected a 'whistleblower' who was 'whistleblowing' about a non-issue. In my opinion, the man conspired to oust Trump and got himself ousted instead. It's a deserved firing. If the IG did his job correctly, he would have realized that what Trump did wasn't something that Congress needed to waste its time and money on, but instead purposefully mislead people on the amount of evidence of wrongdoing available, and as a result, wasted large amounts of federal government resources.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: April 04, 2020, 08:02:20 PM »
Foreign interference in our elections is a crime. You may feel strongly that it shouldn't be a crime, that foreign governments should be free to say and do what they like and we can let the voters sort it all out, but it is still a crime, and your personal apathy doesn't change that. Employees have every right to blow the whistle on what appears to be an attempt to solicit foreign interference, and it's the job of the Inspector General to push those complaints up the ladder. As for the amount of evidence of wrongdoing available, well, we had Trump asking a foreign leader to begin an investigation into a political rival. That's more than enough to justify moving the complaint ahead.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:56:56 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:57 PM »

Sort of.  We really need to compare his response to other countries in similar positions.  Compared to the UK, Italy and Spain we're looking kind of similar, not quite as bad.  Compared to Germany and South Korea, our response is a disaster.

Then there's the true economic damage.  That remains to be seen completely.

Offline Tumeni

• View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:41 PM »
Oh no, Trump fired some moron who protected a 'whistleblower' who was 'whistleblowing' about a non-issue.

Aren't there legal protections in place, in law, to protect the WB?

In my opinion, the man conspired to oust Trump and got himself ousted instead. It's a deserved firing. If the IG did his job correctly, he would have realized that what Trump did wasn't something that Congress needed to waste its time and money on, but instead purposefully misled people on the amount of evidence of wrongdoing available, and as a result, wasted large amounts of federal government resources.

Surely it's up to Congress to decide whether to use that time or money? They could have rejected the IG's findings, after all, if they thought there was more pressing business.

Nearly?

Offline crutonius

• Just a regular guy. No funny business here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: April 05, 2020, 05:32:01 AM »
Oh no, Trump fired some moron who protected a 'whistleblower' who was 'whistleblowing' about a non-issue.

Absolutely.  If Trump is abusing his power then all you have to do is impeach him.

Oh wait...

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: April 05, 2020, 08:52:53 PM »
It is indeed mystifying.
But his boast that he could shoot someone and not lose any votes is sadly accurate.
Some people just don’t seem to care what he does or how much he lies, they’ll support him regardless.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"