Poll

What type of membership would you want?

Forget it, I don't want memberships
2 (20%)
Free membership where I just download a thing for myself
1 (10%)
$5-10 membership (certificate and membership card)
3 (30%)
$35 loot crate style membership
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: September 05, 2018, 04:59:02 PM

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Flat Earth Memberships
« on: August 22, 2018, 04:59:02 PM »
So ... memberships.

The flat earth society hasn't really done memberships in a long while. Even then, it was Daniel and it was slow. Now our site is in the ascendancy, is the one with the good Twitter, the one ranking on google and basically the defacto flat earth society ... well handing out any memberships is pretty much down to us.

So, I've had a chat with Pete and we have a number of suggestions. But this will be due to popular demand ... its us providing something for the community.

1) You don't want memberships, its a dumb idea. In fact, if I would die in a fire, that would be most helpful.

2) We make membership a thing you do yourself for free. There can be a certificate you can download and fill in yourself. Maybe we give you some free digital goodies like a tfes desktop background to download etc, but it'll be all digital stuff because ... well free.

3) We do a membership similar to Daniel's old way. You get a personalised certificate, we'll do a plastic membership card with your name on, you might get a flat key ring. I'll be an envelope of papers.

4) We go balls to the wall and set you up with your own TFES starter kit for £30 GBP/$35 USD/$50 AUD/40,000,000 rupees. Basically like a TFES lootcrate. An example would be ...

A branded box for the loot.

9" frizbee cos flat earth huh? Could have a flat earth map printed on it and write the flat earth society over the Pacific Ocean.

A keychain. With our logo.

Round Earth stress reliever so you can crush the round earth with your hands, again branded

An A4 frame for your certificate which will be printed and inside

Awareness Bracelet ... cos you want to raise awareness right?

Membership card. Your name on it, a serial number, glossy and all branded up.

Branded pen

Branded mug or shiny drink thing

Branded Beanie

Throw a glossy leaflet in there.

So that is about the scale of the box I can do for $35 each. Sure, I can change what's in it, maybe branded mouse mats or a branded spirit level ruler or whatever.

Basically if you became a member of say Leicester City FC, you'd get a kit like below.

Option 4 is the TFES version of that, but being non-profit, we could give you a bit more bang for buck.

Either way (unless Pete has other ideas), I have no intention of logging member's names. a) it'll be full of psudeonyms, b) people will be signing each other up and we will get remove my name requests, c) the fancy bears will only steal this honey pot of data and publish to the world if we collect it and keep secret. So whatever you are given, has to be proof of membership in itself.

Thoughts ... ???
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:17:44 PM by Baby Thork »
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Dr David Thork

• https://onlyfans.com/thork
    • View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Memberships
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »
Welp, the response has been very underwhelming.

Setting this up would have been some effort (and likely some risk if I had to buy in branded stock).

We thought there may be pent up demand. Its not there. 10 votes, not a single reply. This can sit back on the 'maybe one day' shelf.
Rate this post.      👍 6     👎 1

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »
Voted lootcrate. I like the idea of memberships. I've always wanted the membership to actually mean something. At the Daniel site they just send you a certificate. That doesn't make me feel like a member of the Flat Earth Society. It should be more like you are joining the society to get voting rights or participate in the group activities or projects, or otherwise do something.

We may not yet big enough, FE'er-wise, for regular group activities, however.  Most of the conversations seem to be about defending FE rather than doing anything at all productive. We need to work on the branding and growth of the movement.

Mysfit

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
I was worried it did not exist, so had to check.
There is a store.
https://www.cafepress.com/theflatearthsociety
Could you sell the certificates there, Baby Thork?
Do you have any designs?

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2018, 02:21:39 AM »
I want a coin or a metal plaque, willing to pay up to $50 AUD for it.

I'd pay $100-$150 AUD for a decent sized flat earth on the back of a turtle.

It should be more like you are joining the society to get voting rights or participate in the group activities.

Not before their military service for tfescorps I'm sure.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:23:59 AM by disputeone »