They're inspired by dwarves

I'm done here.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online/General Elder Scrolls Discussion
« Reply #921 on: August 09, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
If we're going to draw superficial connections between the Dwemer and other civilizations, we may as well be accurate. Dwemer are inspired more by ancient Mesopotamia than Tolkein.

Notice the clothing, headdress, and braided beards.

Ancient Mesopotamians are considered the progenitors of modern society. They were very advanced for their time. Sound familiar?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 09, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »
less generic <----------------Oblivion-------Morrowind----> more generic

I'm asking you what sort of settings you would place towards the left side.

When I made the comment that Oblivion is less generic than Morrowind, I wasn't referring to their settings. Their settings are equally generic fantasy realms.

If we're going to draw superficial connections between the Dwemer and other civilizations, we may as well be accurate. Dwemer are inspired more by ancient Mesopotamia than Tolkein.

Ancient Mesopotamians are considered the progenitors of modern society. They were very advanced for their time. Sound familiar?

Funny, history isn't my specialty, but I can't quite recall Mesopotamians having steampunk architecture and technology.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 09, 2014, 11:59:12 PM »
Isn't it usually Gnomes who's got all the steampunk crap going on rather than Dwarves?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #925 on: August 10, 2014, 12:00:14 AM »
Isn't it usually Gnomes who's got all the steampunk crap going on rather than Dwarves?

In Warcraft.

I can't really think of any other examples.

« Reply #926 on: August 10, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
Dwarves and Gnomes are both steampunky in Warcraft.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 10, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »

Early-era steampunk technology is a dwarf stereotype. As far as I know only WoW has given such things to gnomes.

Most fantasy games give dwarves the higher tech because an underground race (especially one that is fairly small) doesn't make sense if they don't have heavy machinery to do most of the work.

In Warcraft.

Please say "World of Warcraft" or "WoW"

Warcraft was a very good series before that god awful lore-munching monstrosity fucked it all up, although I think it all went downhill with Warcraft 3.

Ghost of V

« Reply #928 on: August 10, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »
Eh, Warcraft was never good.  And like it or not, WoW is Warcraft. It's canon.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 10, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »
Right. Maybe they just tend to stick to alchemy.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #930 on: August 10, 2014, 12:19:11 AM »
Gnomes in RuneScape had some wacky technology too, but it wasn't really steampunk.  Of course, the dwarves didn't really have steampunk technology either.  It was more realistic fossil fuel-type stuff.

« Reply #931 on: August 10, 2014, 12:20:36 AM »

Early-era steampunk technology is a dwarf stereotype. As far as I know only WoW has given such things to gnomes.

Most fantasy games give dwarves the higher tech because an underground race (especially one that is fairly small) doesn't make sense if they don't have heavy machinery to do most of the work.

In Warcraft.

Please say "World of Warcraft" or "WoW"

Warcraft was a very good series before that god awful lore-munching monstrosity fucked it all up, although I think it all went downhill with Warcraft 3.

Dwarves and Gnomes were steampunky before WoW.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 10, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »

Nope. nopenopenopenope

I can accept vanilla WoW being canon, maybe even Burning Crusades, but beyond that, noooope. It was all a dream made by druids. Yeah. That's good. They should use that.

You can't just bring back characters from the dead just to kill them again (Deathwing) or let a paltry group of "heroes" kill a man who is borderline god (Arthas). Doesn't make any goddamn sense dammit blizzard I hate you.

They don't give shit about their games' stories anymore. They ruined everything with StarCraft II, too. Oh, Kerrigan rules the universe now? Let's just pretend that didn't happen. Okay, guys? Cool. everything is cool

>o<

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 10, 2014, 12:22:24 AM »
pls no derail

« Reply #934 on: August 10, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Players didn't kill Arthas, Tirion/Ashbringer did. Deathwing was never dead, he was just AFK somewhere.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 10, 2014, 12:25:12 AM »
Gnomes in RuneScape had some wacky technology too, but it wasn't really steampunk.  Of course, the dwarves didn't really have steampunk technology either.  It was more realistic fossil fuel-type stuff.

The gnomes in Runescape stole most of their technology from elves. Possibly the elves just gave it to them it was never quite clear on that, at least the last time I played ten years ago.

Players didn't kill Arthas, Tirion/Ashbringer did. Deathwing was never dead, he was just AFK somewhere.

You "help" kill him, though, which is nonsense. Also, yes, Deathwing was most certainly dead. I distinctly remember murdering the shit out of him with mages in Warcraft II. Though I will admit they did bring him back once after Warcraft if I remember correctly, so I guess them doing it again isn't such a big deal. Still.  >o<
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:27:16 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Ghost of V

« Reply #936 on: August 10, 2014, 12:27:06 AM »

Nope. nopenopenopenope

I can accept vanilla WoW being canon, maybe even Burning Crusades, but beyond that, noooope. It was all a dream made by druids. Yeah. That's good. They should use that.

You can't just bring back characters from the dead just to kill them again (Deathwing) or let a paltry group of "heroes" kill a man who is borderline god (Arthas). Doesn't make any goddamn sense dammit blizzard I hate you.

They don't give shit about their games' stories anymore. They ruined everything with StarCraft II, too. Oh, Kerrigan rules the universe now? Let's just pretend that didn't happen. Okay, guys? Cool. everything is cool

>o<

The only game I really like by Blizzard is Diablo 2.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 10, 2014, 12:31:40 AM »
less generic <----------------Oblivion-------Morrowind----> more generic

I'm asking you what sort of settings you would place towards the left side.

When I made the comment that Oblivion is less generic than Morrowind, I wasn't referring to their settings. Their settings are equally generic fantasy realms.

Are all fictional settings equally generic?

Funny, history isn't my specialty, but I can't quite recall Mesopotamians having steampunk architecture and technology.

They also didn't become part of the golden skin of a giant robot or create animunculi. As I said, the connection is superficial, but it's more significant than the connection to Dorfs.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #938 on: August 10, 2014, 12:33:51 AM »
They also didn't become part of the golden skin of a giant robot or create animunculi. As I said, the connection is superficial, but it's more significant than the connection to Dorfs.

No, Alex. It's really not. Maybe appearance wise, but at least Tolkien didn't straight up copy/paste their appearance from ancient wall pix like ES did. As far as culture goes, dwemer are more similar to dwarves.

At least Tolkien had an original thought when creating his dwarves. I can't say the same thing about the dwemer.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 12:37:43 AM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #939 on: August 10, 2014, 12:36:15 AM »

You "help" kill him, though, which is nonsense. Also, yes, Deathwing was most certainly dead. I distinctly remember murdering the shit out of him with mages in Warcraft II. Though I will admit they did bring him back once after Warcraft if I remember correctly, so I guess them doing it again isn't such a big deal. Still.  >o<

That was the retarded plot though. He let you plow through his entire army, kill all of his most powerful lieutenants and nearly defeat him just so he could kill your raid group and convert you to his most powerful champions.

And na, Deathwing has been officially alive for years before they decided to use him again in Cataclysm.

Having escaped back to Azeroth, Deathwing ended up in a fight with some of the archmagi of Dalaran and feigned defeat, falling into the sea, where most of the council assumed at the time that he died. He was not dead, however, and he took a human guise, pretending to be a heroic noble named Lord Prestor in an effort to be declared king of Alterac, where he could manipulate the Alliance from within.

That was the official lore stance since pre-WoW.