Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #580 on: July 20, 2014, 12:23:44 AM »
You're not wrong, but you're not quite right either. Skill makes a pretty big difference in PvP and higher raid tiers. Having the best gear in the game might mean you can stomp people and encounters below you, but things on your level certainly take skill to complete. The game is more skill based now than it has ever been before. In any case, it certainly takes some thought. And WoW requires less thought than other MMO's I've played, which is why I used it as an example.

Ghost of V

« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2014, 12:25:00 AM »
[redguard fanboyism]

What about the candle stick? What the hell is that for?

Ghost of V

« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2014, 12:51:35 AM »
[redguard fanboyism]

What about the candle stick? What the hell is that for?

That's your health.

I just laughed out loud. Thanks for that, Saddam.

But, really... what is it?

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #583 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
It's a visual cue.  It's a bit silly, but it's not ridiculous enough to warrant this kind of fake incredulity.

Anyway, I demand big long essays from Alexandyr and beardo discussing TESO.

<Saddam> beardo: Discuss TESO
<beardo> There is nothing to discuss
<Saddam> beardo: What is that supposed to mean?
<Saddam> It's a game, you're playing it
<Saddam> Surely you have opinions
<beardo> I means I have nothing to say about it
<Saddam> How could you possibly have nothing to say about it?
<Saddam> Is it just that unremarkable?
<Saddam> Neither great nor terrible?
<beardo> I punch nix-hounds
<beardo> ther
<pizaaplanet> beerdo
<beardo> and there
<Saddam> But are you enjoying it?
<beardo> It's better than Dark Souls.
<beardo> Ha ha ha ha
<pizaaplanet> Well, that goes without saying
<pizaaplanet> Dark Souls is terrible
<beardo> It is.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:37:39 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 23, 2014, 12:01:18 AM »
My Morrowind experience thus far:

Start out. Have fun. Die from a little worm because 1 out of 100 hits connect.

Run from a thousand worms. Spend infinity hours reading and talking to people. Can't fight anything because 1 out of 100 hits connect.

Get bow. 1 out of 7-10 hits connects! Kill a few things, get murdered by everything else.

Go to sleep, assassin attack in the middle of the night. Run out of house. Sleep at someone else's place and go back to fight, running and repeating when I can't kill him. Repeat this about 57 times. Still not dead. Used up all 150-something arrows.

hay guise this gaem is best
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #585 on: July 23, 2014, 12:11:08 AM »

Run from a thousand worms. Spend infinity hours reading and talking to people. Can't fight anything because 1 out of 100 hits connect.

Get bow. 1 out of 7-10 hits connects! Kill a few things, get murdered by everything else.

Go to sleep, assassin attack in the middle of the night. Run out of house. Sleep at someone else's place and go back to fight, running and repeating when I can't kill him. Repeat this about 57 times. Still not dead. Used up all 150-something arrows.

Whiff mechanics in Morrowind are one of my biggest criticisms of the game. Once your skill level with a certain weapon is about 50 you wont miss nearly as often, but connecting on screen and missing because of dice rolls is still a stupid concept for a game like Morrowind.

Since it is your first playthrough: Have you tried lowering the difficulty? That helps a lot, but it makes the game feel like easymode at certain parts. Although, easymode for Morrowind is pretty much hardmode in Oblivion.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:12:40 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:40 AM »

You're doing something wrong. I suspect you're either trying to fight with 0 fatigue or using a weapon that you haven't chosen as a major skill.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 23, 2014, 12:47:41 AM »
Once your skill level with a certain weapon is about 50 you wont miss nearly as often, but connecting on screen and missing because of dice rolls is still a stupid concept for a game like Morrowind.

Since it is your first playthrough: Have you tried lowering the difficulty? That helps a lot, but it makes the game feel like easymode at certain parts. Although, easymode for Morrowind is pretty much hardmode in Oblivion.

My bow skill is 50. :L

Also, my gamer pride will not let me lower the difficulty. I cannot.

You're doing something wrong. I suspect you're either trying to fight with 0 fatigue or using a weapon that you haven't chosen as a major skill.

The former happens occasionally, but I am indeed using a weapon I have chosen as a major skill—though it would've been nice to have been warned that using non-major-skill weapons would result in a .0005% chance of hits connecting, as I planned to use a dagger on the side.

Ghost of V

« Reply #588 on: July 23, 2014, 12:56:13 AM »
Once your skill level with a certain weapon is about 50 you wont miss nearly as often, but connecting on screen and missing because of dice rolls is still a stupid concept for a game like Morrowind.

My bow skill is 50. :L

Also, my gamer pride will not let me lower the difficulty. I cannot.

The former happens occasionally, but I am indeed using a weapon I have chosen as a major skill—though it would've been nice to have been warned that using non-major-skill weapons would result in a .0005% chance of hits connecting, as I planned to use a dagger on the side.

You can still use a dagger, provided you made it one of your primary/secondary skills. You might need to skill it up a bit by using it.

PS: Did you get my message on Nintendo Network?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 12:58:08 AM by Vauxhall »

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #589 on: July 23, 2014, 01:53:42 AM »
<Snupes> Fuck
<Snupes> I think I'm just going to restart the damn game as a mage.
<Saddam> There are also cats and monkeys
<Saddam> Being a mage is tough
<Saddam> Wait, Snupes
<Blanko> Snupes: Mage isn't any easier
<Saddam> Magicka doesn't repawn
<Blanko> You just need to optimize your build better
<Saddam> And most spells fail
<Snupes> Blanko: You just need to go fuck yourself
<Snupes> :^)
<Saddam> Try a melee build
<Snupes> By that do you mean at the start of the game?
<Blanko> Yeah
<Snupes> Fuck that shit
<Blanko> Start with 85 agility
<Snupes> I should not have to pre-plan that shit before I know anything about the game
<Snupes> Had I known not minmaxing would literally neuter my ability to fucking do anything, things might be different
<Blanko> ok
<Blanko> or you could just use your shitty build
<Blanko> It's up to you
<Snupes> The wonderful world of Morrowind, where, if you screw up a build, your choices come down to "don't enjoy the game" or "replay 5 hours of tedium to make a good build"
<Blanko> 5 hours
<Blanko> How much progress have you made
<Snupes> I don't know, I've done a bunch of quests by now.
<Snupes> Not much on the main story because lol main story in an Elder Scrolls game
<Blanko> You can speedrun them in half an hour
<Blanko> gogogogo
<Snupes> nononono
<beardo> Niggers
<Snupes> I assure you I would not manage them in half an hour

<Blanko> Snupes: Do you hold the attack key until the bow is fully drawn before releasing, or do you just click it
<Snupes> Fully drawn
<Foxbox> I hold the attack key for three full minutes
<Crudblud> Foxbox knows the secrets to Morrowind success
<Snupes> Also I just jumped and am now stuck in a piece of wood that was on the ground
<Snupes> fml
<Foxbox> lol I got stuck on a tree
<Parsifal> I feel like I'm missing something obvious
<Crudblud> Morrowind, the greatest game ever
<Foxbox> I have murdered a few people
<Blanko> Snupes: ok
<Blanko> keep doing that~
<Snupes> Why was this game specifically designed to not work for me
<Blanko> Ready to give up?
<Snupes> Yes
<Blanko> You tried so hard
<Blanko> And got so far
<Blanko> In the end
<Snupes> No
<Blanko> It doesn't even matter
<Snupes> http://i.imgur.com/nmMuKhL.png
<Snupes> Welcome to the life of Snupes
<Snupes> My new permanent home
<Parsifal> Blanko: What
<Foxbox> Sad
<Parsifal> I walked up to the leader of the Guild of Mages in Balmora
<Parsifal> She was like "you may be ready for advancement"
<Parsifal> And then suddenly I was an Apprentice
<Parsifal> But then she said I was ready for advancement again immediately, and now I'm a Journeyman
<Crudblud> Snupes: This wouldn't be happening if you were a professional skateboardist like me
<Snupes> I wish I could have your swag
<Snupes> Nobody in this fucking world trusts me enough to talk about Dwemer Artifacts
<Blanko> Parsifal: Climbing up the ranks
<Blanko> Like a boss
<Blanko> They saw what you did to Ra'Virr and decided not to fuck with you
<Snupes> Okay, I can't do this anymore

tl;dr: Parsifal is pimptastic at this game.  Snupes sucks and eventually ragequit.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 23, 2014, 02:00:36 AM »
You don't need to minmax. You don't even need to plan your build that carefully. You just need to realize the importance of fatigue and not be an idiot.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 23, 2014, 02:37:19 AM »
You don't need to minmax. You don't even need to plan your build that carefully. You just need to realize the importance of fatigue and not be an idiot.

You and Blanko seem to have quite opposite advice for me. Also, how well I take care of my fatigue has not much improved my experience, and it's a pain in the ass to have to walk at -40 mph to keep my fatigue low.

Also fuck you

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 23, 2014, 02:49:20 AM »
I already know that Morrowind is an awful game and I've not even played it.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:55 AM »

You and Blanko seem to have quite opposite advice for me. Also, how well I take care of my fatigue has not much improved my experience, and it's a pain in the ass to have to walk at -40 mph to keep my fatigue low.

Also fuck you

Blanko doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. ESO was probably his first Elder Scrolls game. You don't need to walk everywhere, just rest a bit if you know you're about to fight something serious like a tiny kwama forager, or have some restore fatigue potions. If you're fighting while rested and using a weapon that you're reasonably skilled with you should be connecting at least half of your attacks. Otherwise, you might have very low agility or your opponent might have very high agility.

I already know that Morrowind is an awful game and I've not even played it.

You can go ahead and just dodge and roll your way right out of this thread.

« Reply #594 on: July 23, 2014, 03:06:20 AM »
Just play WoW. You don't even need to think about skills or talents.

Ghost of V

« Reply #595 on: July 23, 2014, 03:22:38 AM »
Regardless of all the mixed info, Morrowind is a much harder game than Oblivion or Skyrim but it is a lot less mindless because of it. Especially when you're starting out. You might want to research some things online now that you've experienced it firsthand.

Sometimes Morrowind's harsh learning curve gets in the way of having fun, which is why the difficulty slider is there. Use it. Increase the difficulty slowly as you progress.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »

I'm not saying she needs to minmax, I'm just saying it makes the game fucking easy.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »

I'm not saying she needs to minmax, I'm just saying it makes the game fucking easy.

The wisdom of Blanko.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »
I realized something while browsing the ESO forums. The average MMO player is both 12 years old and utterly retarded. "Dwemer should be a playable race" retarded. Zenimax Online has drawn thousands of these cretins to the ES series, and they're spewing all of their terrible opinions right into the developer's faces. I'm not saying that previously every ES fan was a gentlemanly fedora capped scholar, but I really think the group's average age and intelligence has dropped. This isn't really a problem right now, but what if these people stick around for the next actual ES game? More stupid opinions than ever before will be shouted at Bethesda Game Studios, and Todd Howard is not a strong man. He won't be able to resist the sweet temptation of the money of these kid's parents.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:20:11 AM by Alexandyr »

« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:01 AM »
Hahaha. General forums on MMO's are the best.