Ghost of V

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #540 on: July 17, 2014, 01:42:52 AM »
Hardware restrictions dictate canonicity now.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 17, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
Alex is wise. According to most of the games, about 1,000 people live in all of Tamriel.

This is probably because in TES games there is always this one person who slaughters significant portions of the population while simultaneously being leader of all guilds.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
somehow there's an endless ammount of outlaws.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #543 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:06 PM »
Hey retards, Windhelm's design in Skyrim is not canon. You may as well complain that Skyrim didn't depict Windhelm the same way Arena did. In the lore, major cities have populations larger than 50-100.

Double false equivalence fallacy.  First of all, nobody cares about how cities or dungeons or pretty much anything in Arena was depicted.  Beyond the fact that most of it was randomly generated, Arena was a dull, linear, Nintendo-hard, broken piece of shit even by 1994's standards.  Approximately zero people have bothered to play it for more than five minutes nowadays.  Your second fallacy is you apparently feigning ignorance of the trope where populations and sizes of video game universes are condensed in order to have an actually playable game.  Obviously a little suspension of disbelief is called for on that front.  It doesn't follow that we can extend said suspension of disbelief to other elements of the game, like the city design.  If it did, we could challenge pretty much anything that happens in these games.  Hey, maybe the Skyrim Civil War never happened, because wars involve more than a few dozen guys whacking each other in each battle!

Also, on the notion of hair:

<beardo> do you even beard?
<beardo> pics
<Saddam> No
<beardo> bitch, plz
<Saddam> All the beards are neatly trimmed and metrosexual
<beardo> wat
<Saddam> I have a five-o-clock shadow
<Foxbox> A baked pie
<beardo> why would they^?
<beardo> why?
<Saddam> I told you that the character design in this game is very homosexual
<beardo> I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION
<Saddam> Actually, I'm being dumb
<Saddam> The beards are fine
<Saddam> It's the hairstyles that are terrible
<beardo> so there are rugged manly beards?
<Saddam> Some of them are rugged and manly
<beardo> good
<beardo> good..
<beardo> now, what is this I hear about hair?
<Saddam> But you can't have the long sweat-drenched hair anymore
<beardo> FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
<Saddam> That was the coolest hairstyle ever
<Crudblud> I didn't realise the hair in Skyrim was supposed to be sweat-drenched, I thought it was just shoddily made
<Saddam> It was like having "badass" stamped on your forehead
<Saddam> Some of them are meant to be sweat-drenched
<Saddam> The game was nice enough to give us options
<beardo> Not to imply Vikings were dirty, because they weren't.
<beardo> But they didn't have hairstyles straight out of a beauty saloon
<Saddam> If my hair were long enough, I would grab some gel and give that look a try
<Saddam> It's the right color already
<Saddam> I think I could pull it off
<beardo> I suppose the most tolerable hairstyle in TESO is the bald one then
<beardo> IF there is a bald one
<Saddam> There is indeed a bald one
<beardo> I suppose 90% of them are modern prettyboy styles
<Saddam> Pretty much
<beardo> I don't fucking get that?
<Saddam> Well, maybe not "modern"
<beardo> What is the purpose?
<Saddam> But they're all clean and neat and nicely combed and everything
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:52:23 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 17, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
Absolutely disgusting.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:43 AM »
Hey retards, Windhelm's design in Skyrim is not canon. You may as well complain that Skyrim didn't depict Windhelm the same way Arena did. In the lore, major cities have populations larger than 50-100.

Double false equivalence fallacy.  First of all, nobody cares about how cities or dungeons or pretty much anything in Arena was depicted.  Beyond the fact that most of it was randomly generated, Arena was a dull, linear, Nintendo-hard, broken piece of shit even by 1994's standards.  Approximately zero people have bothered to play it for more than five minutes nowadays.  Your second fallacy is you apparently feigning ignorance of the trope where populations and sizes of video game universes are condensed in order to have an actually playable game.  Obviously a little suspension of disbelief is called for on that front.  It doesn't follow that we can extend said suspension to disbelief to other elements of the game, like the city design.  If it did, we could challenge pretty much anything that happens in these games.  Hey, maybe the Skyrim Civil War never happened, because wars involve more than a few dozen guys whacking each other in each battle!

Triple backflip 360 jackknife fallacy. A city's population is obviously going to affect its design. I am aware that the scale is condensed for gameplay, because that's my entire point. Do you think that "canon" Windhelm looks exactly the same as Skyrim's, only with each building 1000 times as big? Because that would need to be the case for it to support the population that it would have lore-wise. They changed the look of Daggerfall and Sentinel quite a bit as well. Why doesn't that bother you? Also, Arena is not linear.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:37 AM »
It bothers Saddam that no one has sat down and created the entire TES universe out of stone and said "this is as it shall be forever and ever."

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #547 on: July 18, 2014, 02:12:15 AM »
Triple backflip 360 jackknife fallacy.

NO U!

A city's population is obviously going to affect its design. I am aware that the scale is condensed for gameplay, because that's my entire point. Do you think that "canon" Windhelm looks exactly the same as Skyrim's, only with each building 1000 times as big? Because that would need to be the case for it to support the population that it would have lore-wise.

Not the buildings themselves, but the city in general.  There would be more buildings, the streets would be longer, the city would take up significantly more landmass, etc.  That's how I always imagined it, anyway.  But in any case, what does this have to do with TESO?  It's not like its depiction of Windhelm is meant to be the "canonical" version of the city in terms of size or population.  Neither of them properly fit the lore, so they might as well make the design consistent.

They changed the look of Daggerfall and Sentinel quite a bit as well. Why doesn't that bother you?

Because shitty technology and flat, pixelated landscapes.  It wasn't until after Daggerfall that Bethesda finally decided to drop their quantity-over-quality approach and instead focus on smaller, well-designed areas, which they demonstrated admirably with Redguard:

Magnificent.  Speaking of which, I think I'm going to start a Daggerfag Covenant character.  I want to see how Stros M'Kai looks in comparison to Redguard.

Also, Arena is not linear.

Fine, I'll concede that point.  It's still a shitty game, though.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 18, 2014, 05:16:34 AM »
tl;dr

I just bought a month, since it's 50% off on Steam for the weekend. The client is 80GB.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Ghost of V

« Reply #549 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:58 AM »
80GB? Got damn.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 18, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
Neither of them properly fit the lore, so they might as well make the design consistent.

But by having a different design, it is consistent in design, because it's expected that a city is going to change drastically in 800 years.

« Reply #551 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »

Double false equivalence fallacy.

Triple backflip 360 jackknife fallacy.

Ah, this is fantastic.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 18, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
When the fuck did TESO get on Steam?
The Mastery.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:32 AM »
Neither of them properly fit the lore, so they might as well make the design consistent.

But by having a different design, it is consistent in design, because it's expected that a city is going to change drastically in 800 years.
I wouldn't expect it to shrink though.
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: July 18, 2014, 09:58:19 AM »

I wouldn't expect it to shrink though.

There's no way of telling if the city actually shrunk in terms of lore, because the game representation is obviously much smaller than the actual lore size in both instances. Thus it shouldn't even have to be considered.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 18, 2014, 10:45:15 AM »
Anyway, now that it's 27,49€ on steam for the weekend, I kinda want it. I'd rather it go down to -75%, but that won't happen with such a new title.
What do? :-\
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 18, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
Get it so I can hear more about how bad it is and have more reason to hate it without actually playing it
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 18, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
I feel this is the only chance I get if I'm going to try it out for a cheaper price. I could wait for the winter holiday sales, but I doubt they'll make it -75% off by then either. And 27,49€ is not too bad for a new game. I won't make any rash decisions though. I have a whole weekend to consider this.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #558 on: July 18, 2014, 01:40:18 PM »

1,000 years.  Also, reality is unrealistic.  Sure, realistically, the city would look absolutely nothing like it does in Skyrim.  But we're fans of the older games, dammit, and we'd have enjoyed seeing cities that looked more like they did in those games.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 18, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »
So you're literally just complaining because you're a stupid person with stupid expectation and TESO is actually doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing