Ghost of V

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #400 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
I have done everything in Skyrim for the most part. I have probably 300+ hours of play time in total. I have played the game. Stop trolling.

I will address other points later.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 30, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I mean it's their way of making the game appear more combat-oriented, when no actual changes were made to the combat system. Since the RPG structures underneath the combat are worse in Skyrim, the whole thing is worse as a whole.

In Oblivion, your skill with a weapon, your strength, and your level of fatigue determine how much damage you can deal with that weapon. It works just the same in Skyrim, except the strength attribute is replaced with a set of perks that can be customized. How is this combat system less complex?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 30, 2014, 10:15:09 PM »
Enchanting allows for less, there's no spellmaking, a lot of stats that in Oblivion and Morrowind would affect how you could approach a given situation are completely removed. Yes, the system for determining damage for a given melee weapon isn't much different (though in previous games you could do stuff like make custom buffs for increasing your efficiency in that category), but Skyrim gives you less options aside from that weapon. Yeah, you get perks and stuff, but overall the way you play the game doesn't really change at all over the course of the game. In Morrowind and Oblivion, you can build your character to be able to leap across mountains or become completely invisible, or other such things that fundamentally change the gameplay experience. In Skyrim you'll be doing the exact same thing you did in the beginning of the game, except you can imagine that super cool 2x modifier you got from a perk.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 30, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »
And sprint instead of speed.. yeah.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 30, 2014, 10:33:04 PM »
I consider the combat system and the magic system to be separate, so I was only thinking of conventional ranged and melee weapons. You can still become invisible in Skyrim, although the much more broken chameleon effect is no more. I can see why BGS would want to curtail the more cartoonish aspects of very high level characters, considering the more realistic atmosphere they were trying to create.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 30, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
And as a result, it's a less fun game. But this is just my opinion, of course (^:

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 30, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
Less fun than ~*Morrowind*~, obviously. Try leveling a character in vanilla Oblivion past 20 without focusing exclusively on combat skills and tell us how fun it is.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »
Hey, it's just more incentive to abuse all the broken shit. But obviously Morrowind is a much better game than Oblivion, so I'm not gonna argue about it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #408 on: June 30, 2014, 10:45:40 PM »
Alex, are you trying to say that Dawnstar (an important town in the Es mythos) is comparable to a town like Hackdirt in Oblivion? That's not flattering.

As for the claim that Morrowind isn't action based. I said "appears" action based. I know the battle system and its more similar to a pen and paper system. However, my personal opinion is that if you hit an enemy with your sword visually it should connect. Oblivion's battle system was not a downgrade, it was an upgrade. In Oblivion, all hits connect if you land them properly. If a monster is stronger than you are its more dangerous to go head to head with them, and spells/archery are utilized instead of a head on approach because it could get you killed. In Morrowind your character could be physically stronger than the opponent and still get shafted because of dice-roll misses. Because of this, Oblivion's combat system is arguably more fun, less punishing, and far more realistic.

Oblivion is not perfect. Morrowind has some advantages gsmeplay wise and depth wise, yes. For example, methods of travel and a lack of fast travel made Morrowind more immersive. Skyrim is the worst out of the three, IMO. Skyrim tried to improve on Oblivion's formula but failed in almost every regard except graphically and visually. I can get takedown cams and dismemberment in Oblivion. That is what mods are for.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:54:57 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 30, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
I almost just deleted this entire thread on accident, oops

Also, I wish I'd picked up Morrowind while it was on sale. :[ I really want to play it and be disappointed with how hyped up it's been
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Ghost of V

« Reply #410 on: June 30, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

Also, I wish I'd picked up Morrowind while it was on sale. :[ I really want to play it and be disappointed with how hyped up it's been

The bay is there for a reason.

Less fun than ~*Morrowind*~, obviously. Try leveling a character in vanilla Oblivion past 20 without focusing exclusively on combat skills and tell us how fun it is.

There are numerous ways to play Oblivion as a pacifist or solely as a spellcaster.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:54:22 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 30, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »
As for the claim that Morrowind isn't action based. I said "appears" action based. I know the battle system and its more similar to a pen and paper system. However, my personal opinion is that if you hit an enemy with your sword visually it should connect. Oblivion's battle system was not a downgrade, it was an upgrade. In Oblivion, all hits connect if you land them properly. If a monster is stronger than you are its more dangerous to go head to head with them, and spells/archery are utilized instead of a head on approach because it could get you killed. In Morrowind your character could be physically stronger than the opponent and still get shafted because of dice-roll misses. Because of this, Oblivion's combat system is arguably more fun, less punishing, and far more realistic.

Meanwhile, hits that do connect cause seemingly no effect on enemies, allowing them to retaliate immediately, and sometimes your hits connect when they visually should not because instead of using weapon hitboxes for hit detection, they use simple range checks. It's curious how out of all the abstractions in Morrowind's combat they only chose to remove one of them for future installments, considering what they were aiming to do.

Browsing FES on a phone is fucking dangerous, man.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:58:27 PM by Blanko »

Ghost of V

« Reply #412 on: June 30, 2014, 11:02:06 PM »
I'd still sacrifice all of that as long as my hits are supposed to connect when it looks like they should and magic doesn't just flat out fail. Combat is superior in Oblivion, but that doesn't mean I think that Morrowind is a shitty game. Morrowind did a lot right.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:03:42 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 30, 2014, 11:05:42 PM »
Alex, are you trying to say that Dawnstar (an important town in the Es mythos) is comparable to a town like Hackdirt in Oblivion? That's not flattering.

In-game, yes. Dawnstar is a mid tier settlement, and Hackdirt is the largest low tier settlement, so it makes sense that they're somewhat similar in size.

There are numerous ways to play Oblivion as a pacifist or solely as a spellcaster.

Because of the way the scaling system works, enemies become stronger much quicker than many character builds do. Unless you're aware of how the system works and how to game it, the game becomes almost unplayable at very high levels. This is why most people recommend completing things like the MQ and the Arena questline at level 1.

Also, in Morrowind, once your skill with a particular weapon is around 55 you'll almost never miss as long as you aren't trying to fight while completely fatigued.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:08:43 PM by Alexandyr »

« Reply #414 on: June 30, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »
Morrowind's immersion makes it the best.  There are a ton of spells in there that don't have any benefit to existing beyond making the world believable, such as locking spells.  You can also mix and match any of the armors, your gauntlets, pauldrons, and boots are separate left-right pieces, much like they would be if you were really in the game.  Unfortunately, I picked up the treasure box with ES1-5 and couldn't really play Morrowind much because I couldn't get past the paper-plate mask style faces of the NPCs.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 30, 2014, 11:45:09 PM »
Those over Oblivion potato faces any day though.
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: July 01, 2014, 12:26:48 AM »
This has actually inspired me to play Oblivion again. It's been quite some time. ESO still sucks.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 01, 2014, 12:29:30 AM »
I used to be able to kill Umbra at level one. Just tried to play it, Umbra murdered me in one power swing. Either I suck at this game now or she is stronger in the deluxe edition.

Ghost of V

« Reply #418 on: July 01, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
This has actually inspired me to play Oblivion again. It's been quite some time. ESO still sucks.

Enjoy. I love replaying Oblivion. What race are you going for?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: July 01, 2014, 12:45:01 AM »
I'm playing it too. I'm a Dunmer.

With Oblivion Character Overhaul mod for better looking faces.

I see there's a new version. I should update.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 12:49:34 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.