Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2014, 02:36:35 AM »
Anyone who plays ESO [...] is going to have one hell of a bad time.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Fixed for truthfulness
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Vongeo

• I don't get it either
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:04 AM »
No saddam...
Guest is the chosen one.
That was so exciting until I quoted it...
Fuck Guest
Maple syrup was a kind of candy, made from the blood of trees.

Ghost of V

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2014, 04:45:38 PM »
No saddam...
Guest is the chosen one.
Fuck Guest

Fuck you, Guest. >:|

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
No saddam...
Guest is the chosen one.
Fuck Guest

I am the only one this works for. 
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:01 PM »
No saddam...
Guest is the chosen one.
Fuck Guest

I am the only one this works for. 
No.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #225 on: April 08, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
Guest  Guest  Guest  Guest  Guest  Guest  Guest  Guest 

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #226 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
No saddam...
Guest is the chosen one.
Fuck Guest

It could be worse.  For example, beardo was fooled by it even after he quoted it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #227 on: April 08, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
"Shortly after the game's launch Joystiq's Massively blog reported that players couldn't start the thirty days of free time included with their purchase until a subscription had been set up and—in "a strange state of affairs" and "most likely a mistake"—after a full month had been paid for." - Wikipedia

Yeah, it was a mistake. Let's go with that.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 08, 2014, 07:28:17 PM »
Oh its out?
How are the reviews?  Is it worth downloading the free trial when that's out?  Or will it be F2P in a few months?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #229 on: April 08, 2014, 09:28:47 PM »
Vauxy just linked to the "Reception" section of its Wikipedia article.

I wouldn't go by that. Dave should watch some gameplay videos and player reviews before delving into ESO. From what I've seen, it's a mess... but Wikipedia will tell you otherwise.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
The game itself feels like one giant grind MMO, not like an actual Elder Scrolls game. You're forced down a very linear path of quests just like every other MMO out there. Yeah, it makes some interesting changes to the MMO sphere (such as classes not affecting your playstyle) but the overall game feels bland. MMOs see WoW as a success but they fail to see the WoW generation is tired of WoW.

I'm looking forward to games like Star Citizen, games that take the massive multiplayer aspect and do something really interesting with it, not copy and paste WoW's aging schema.

Ghost of V

« Reply #231 on: April 08, 2014, 11:12:41 PM »
The game itself feels like one giant grind MMO, not like an actual Elder Scrolls game. You're forced down a very linear path of quests just like every other MMO out there. Yeah, it makes some interesting changes to the MMO sphere (such as classes not affecting your playstyle) but the overall game feels bland. MMOs see WoW as a success but they fail to see the WoW generation is tired of WoW.

I'm looking forward to games like Star Citizen, games that take the massive multiplayer aspect and do something really interesting with it, not copy and paste WoW's aging schema.

The only MMO I've ever really enjoyed was Final Fantasy XI. I played WoW, had a max level character, and was in a guild... one day I quit and now I have no desire to go back. It's easy to get into that game if you have "friends" around who play it.

One MMO that has always captured my interest is EVE online, but I haven't tried it outside of a short free trial. The whole idea of EVE is extrememly appealing to me though. I want to pilot my own starship, damnit.

« Reply #232 on: April 08, 2014, 11:29:28 PM »
I fancied Eve until I saw the combat.

Offline Tintagel

• Full of Tinier Tintagels
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 09, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »

The only MMO I've ever really enjoyed was Final Fantasy XI. I played WoW, had a max level character, and was in a guild... one day I quit and now I have no desire to go back. It's easy to get into that game if you have "friends" around who play it.

One MMO that has always captured my interest is EVE online, but I haven't tried it outside of a short free trial. The whole idea of EVE is extrememly appealing to me though. I want to pilot my own starship, damnit.

EVE is one of the few games that really gets immersion right.  I've played EVE off and on for some years and always enjoy it.  The last corporation I was in slowly dissolved, however, and I haven't met a group I clicked with since.  EVE without a good corp just isn't very exciting, I'm afraid.  But it is a magnificent game, for sure.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 09, 2014, 02:16:24 AM »

EVE isn't about shallow and pedantic combat. It's a game for super smart scientists with some time to kill in between PhDs.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #235 on: April 09, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
EVE's alright but I got bored with it after a while. I'm not sure if that's because I'm getting older and find computer games a bit same old same old.

« Reply #236 on: April 09, 2014, 09:25:31 PM »

EVE isn't about shallow and pedantic combat.

But that's what combat is. I mean I'm invoking Rush's Law here (I've never played it but that doesn't stop me having an opinion that's stated as fact). But from what I've seen combat is basically spinning around in a circle going pew pew pew. Elite was better than that.

But I think its cool that stories like this get published.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547908/EVE-online-sees-biggest-battle.html

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 09, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

EVE isn't about shallow and pedantic combat.

But that's what combat is. I mean I'm invoking Rush's Law here (I've never played it but that doesn't stop me having an opinion that's stated as fact). But from what I've seen combat is basically spinning around in a circle going pew pew pew. Elite was better than that.

But I think its cool that stories like this get published.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2547908/EVE-online-sees-biggest-battle.html
Can someone explain to me why EVE has a protection racket going?  Is it game company run or player run?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 10, 2014, 02:43:52 AM »
Can someone explain to me why EVE has a protection racket going?  Is it game company run or player run?

A company (CCP) develops and maintains the software, releases new content, etc. but as far as the actual game they do not touch it at all. CCP is very laissez-faire with Eve and it has gained them a non-stop increasing amount of subscribers since its release. It is the only MMO that has ever gained people at a consistent rate, rather than have an initial spike in popularity and taper off later. Other than game mechanics, the game's content is almost 100% player driven. There are NPC quests but they aren't fun in anything other than short burts and you only grind them for money. Eve is all about PvP. If you're not affecting another player in some fashion (good or otherwise) you are playing Eve wrong.

CCP is also the only gaming company that thinks griefing and scamming are legitimate parts of the game. If some guy scams you out of all your dough and you weren't smart enough to catch it, try whining to CCP. All you'll get is a "go fuck yourself." Albeit they might say it in nicer words.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:45:26 AM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »

A company (CCP) develops and maintains the software, releases new content, etc. but as far as the actual game they do not touch it at all. CCP is very laissez-faire with Eve and it has gained them a non-stop increasing amount of subscribers since its release. It is the only MMO that has ever gained people at a consistent rate, rather than have an initial spike in popularity and taper off later. Other than game mechanics, the game's content is almost 100% player driven. There are NPC quests but they aren't fun in anything other than short burts and you only grind them for money. Eve is all about PvP. If you're not affecting another player in some fashion (good or otherwise) you are playing Eve wrong.

CCP is also the only gaming company that thinks griefing and scamming are legitimate parts of the game. If some guy scams you out of all your dough and you weren't smart enough to catch it, try whining to CCP. All you'll get is a "go fuck yourself." Albeit they might say it in nicer words.
So the money that wasn't paid was for a player run protection racket?  Bloody Hell.  Someone's making a lot of money off this game.  Some people are just way too into it if they agree to patrol territory as a second job.