Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Building Another PC
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:56:08 AM »
My autism is starting to ramp up into full gear with Black Friday coming, and all of those deliciously discounted PC parts. So, this is what I've come up with. My goal was to build a mini-ITX, power efficient gaming box on a budget. I'll be upgrading the system's memory later on.

Case

EVGA Hadron Air with 500W Gold PSU

Motherboard
ASRock B85M-ITX

Memory
Kingston HyperX FURY 4GB

SSD
Crucial MX100 256GB

CPU
Intel Core i3-4130

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: Building Another PC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
NVIDIA is a terrible choice if you plan to run anything but Windows, ever.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
I take it NVIDIA doesn't do open source drivers?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 11:50:40 AM »
I take it NVIDIA doesn't do open source drivers?

Worse than that; they don't document their cards, so nobody else can write drivers without wasting years reverse engineering them. The nouveau project has been somewhat successful in said reverse engineering, but even that only works on Linux for now, and a number of features are still unsupported.

On top of that, the binary drivers NVIDIA provide for Linux suck. They essentially reimplement a large part of the functionality of X internally, so you can't do everyday things like manage your monitor layout without using their special tools, and often cause more problems than they solve.

If you want the option of running any OS that isn't Windows without pain and hardship everywhere you turn, buy an AMD card.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:55:38 AM by Parsifal »
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »
The SSD seems out of place. You'd be better off with a large capacity HDD of similar price since it is a gaming computer and games nowadays take up huge amounts of space. Just my opinion, though. The idea of constantly deleting/downloading games as I play them is not desirable.

Also, in addition to what Parsifal said, I would like to point out that your GPU is going to be bottlenecked by that CPU. If you're going to build a new computer I'd suggest getting a better CPU first then a GPU later. You can easily add a GPU to a build, but the same isn't really true for CPUs. If you get a bad CPU you're boned until the next build. Intel's integrated graphics are actually pretty impressive, I have a Surface Pro that uses Intel 4000 and it can stand to play most games at 1080p on low settings.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:39:17 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:34:01 PM »
Also, amp that RAM up to at least 16GB, and use a smaller SSD for OS and get a large HDD for your games and shit. If you're willing to pay more, you can get a large SSD for your games as well and they will load super fast, yo. And yes, get a better graphics card CPU.

edit: fug
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:52:13 PM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:47:53 PM »
Also, amp that RAM up to at least 16GB, and use a smaller SSD for OS and get a large HDD for your games and shit. If you're willing to pay more, you can get a large SSD for your games as well and they will load super fast, yo. And yes, get a better graphics card.
This is everything I was going to say. 8 Gb Ram is more than enough. Ram is cheap so why scrimp. Yep, you don't need 256GB for an SSD. Get a 64Gb one for your OS and stick everything else on a big HDD. That case is rubbish. Why do you need something so big?

I had a 3.3Ghz i3 in my last PC. Its a great chip. You won't notice the difference in an i5 or i7 for most games.

You definitely don't need 500W of power supply with a 4th gen i3, an SSD, 4 GB of Ram and a single budget graphics card. Are you cold or something?
Quote from: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-ti-1225593/review
Nvidia's PSU requirement for the 750 Ti is also low at just 300W, so you won't need a beefy 500W or 750W beast to power this mini GPU.
Also, what do you need a gold power supply for? Because it says 'gold' and that sounds better so its worth paying more? Is energy that expensive in the US? The difference between a 'gold' power supply and a silver is 2-3% efficiency.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
The difference in your wallet will be about 20 bucks.

You can save a bunch of money and have a better system by doing a bit of proper research.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:57:26 PM by Thork »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 05:23:42 PM »
I had a 3.3Ghz i3 in my last PC. Its a great chip. You won't notice the difference in an i5 or i7 for most games.

Last time you posted your computer specs, you were using a quadcore, he is looking at a dual core.

See, Thork, this is why I tried to point out to you that you need to pay attention to model numbers, not the series. A dualcore will most definitely hinder his gaming.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 05:28:36 PM »
I have an i7 quad core now, but my last PC had an i3-3125 (3.3ghz) in it.

And no, it won't hinder your game play. I benched that i3 against my current i7 only last week. The i7 is 4th gen as well. That i3 out performed the 2.0ghz quadcore i7 I have right now. - yeah, I was shocked too.

Those cranked up i3's are phenomenal. Its all he is going to need with that graphics card. He just isn't going to get anywhere near settings to trouble that CPU. That's not going to be the bottleneck in his system.

PS - those i3 dual cores are hyper threaded. - they act as 4 cores. Bang for buck, I can't think of a better processor than the i3 right now.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:42:09 PM »
I have an i7 quad core now, but my last PC had an i3-3125 (3.3ghz) in it.

And no, it won't hinder your game play. I benched that i3 against my current i7 only last week. The i7 is 4th gen as well. That i3 out performed the 2.0ghz quadcore i7 I have right now. - yeah, I was shocked too.

Those cranked up i3's are phenomenal. Its all he is going to need with that graphics card. He just isn't going to get anywhere near settings to trouble that CPU. That's not going to be the bottleneck in his system.

PS - those i3 dual cores are hyper threaded. - they act as 4 cores. Bang for buck, I can't think of a better processor than the i3 right now.

You apparently have no idea what hyperthreading is and you also don't know to turn it off during gaming. Jesus Christ, Thork, stop being wrong about literally everything.

Also, why do you have an i7 clocked at 2.0ghz? lolololol
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 05:43:45 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
The SSD seems out of place. You'd be better off with a large capacity HDD of similar price since it is a gaming computer and games nowadays take up huge amounts of space. Just my opinion, though. The idea of constantly deleting/downloading games as I play them is not desirable.

Also, in addition to what Parsifal said, I would like to point out that your GPU is going to be bottlenecked by that CPU. If you're going to build a new computer I'd suggest getting a better CPU first then a GPU later. You can easily add a GPU to a build, but the same isn't really true for CPUs. If you get a bad CPU you're boned until the next build. Intel's integrated graphics are actually pretty impressive, I have a Surface Pro that uses Intel 4000 and it can stand to play most games at 1080p on low settings.

What. I can put a new CPU in almost as easily as a video card. Besides, I said this needs to be power efficient and it also needs to be cheap. I actually almost decided on a Pentium. The SSD is staying too, obviously. I play a new game maybe once every few months, and uninstall ones I don't play anyway.

And Parsial, no, I won't be running any Linux distros on this.

Thork, the PSU comes bundled with the case, so they end up being about $50 each. And that's fine with me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:34:16 PM by Andrew »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
Won't fit a lot of anything on 256GB, just sayin.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:52:18 PM »
Won't fit a lot of anything on 256GB, just sayin.

I'm well aware of the storage capability, thanks beardo.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
Why aren't you getting more storage capacity than 256GB?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 08:23:06 PM »
*posts thread asking for suggestions to improve shit PC*

*gets offended when people offer advice*

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
Where did he ask for suggestions to improve shit PC?
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Why aren't you getting more storage capacity than 256GB?

There's an obvious answer to this, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

*posts thread asking for suggestions to improve shit PC*

Can you point out where I asked for suggestions?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:30:18 PM by Andrew »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 08:29:19 PM »
You don't play a lot of games, do you?
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:30:04 PM »

I thought it was implied.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 08:50:19 PM »

I thought it was implied.

Andrew already happily pointed out his own autism. He isn't going to understand what a social implication is or even that he may have accidentally initiated one.