Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX commercial satellite launch
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
Also there is no thread on pseudo or stratelites on tfes.org.
That's not entirely true.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Rama Set

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »
Fair enough. Thank you PP

Offline BillyBob

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2014, 06:14:54 AM »
When civilians are in space, you people will look like idiots.  Pardon my French. 

« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2014, 11:38:24 PM »
When civilians are in space, you people will look like idiots.  Pardon my French.

Only a matter of time. Unfortunately, I predict those civilians will simply be branded as government agents and the farce will continue...

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2014, 11:40:20 PM »
People have talked about commercial space travel for over sixty years. It's funny how many companies have since come and gone trying to accomplish it. For example, Virgin Galactic has spent billions in attempts to go to space, but all they've managed to make is a fancy, luxury U-2. In fact, they've spent more than NASA originally spent going to the moon. How... interesting.

Rama Set

« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57:29 AM »
It's almost like sending 15 layman into space is more difficult than sending 2 experts. Weird right?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2014, 01:10:40 AM »
It's almost like sending 15 layman into space is more difficult than sending 2 experts. Weird right?

You're comparing a passenger train to a freight train and saying the passenger train is harder to make? Preposterous. It should be infinitely easier for Virgin Galactic to go to space, its just unfortunate that it is impossible and no one was nice enough to tell them.

Rama Set

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2014, 01:14:44 AM »

You're comparing a passenger train to a freight train and saying the passenger train is harder to make? Preposterous. It should be infinitely easier for Virgin Galactic to go to space, its just unfortunate that it is impossible and no one was nice enough to tell them.

I no longer follow. Anyway this has now gone to the standard place of flimsily asserting that space travel is impossible. I will check in later when something interesting has been said.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2014, 01:23:37 AM »
I no longer follow.

NASA shuttles and rockets supposedly hold a lot more cargo and weight than 15 people combined (about 25 tons compared to 1.5 assuming 200 lbs per person), so your point that it is somehow harder for SpaceX or Virgin to get into space because they carry more people is nonsense.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2014, 01:46:18 AM »
People have talked about commercial space travel for over sixty years. It's funny how many companies have since come and gone trying to accomplish it. For example, Virgin Galactic has spent billions in attempts to go to space, but all they've managed to make is a fancy, luxury U-2. In fact, they've spent more than NASA originally spent going to the moon. How... interesting.
Please provide your evidence that Virgin Galactic has spent more than NASA originally spent going to the Moon. Be sure to account for inflation. Be sure to keep marketing expenditures separate.

Is there some reason you consider a "fancy, luxury U-2" comparable to SpaceShipOne, please tell us how many people a U-2 carries in your comparison.

Also if you want to argue that 200 pounds is a good estimate for carrying a person safely to and from space, I suggest you're forgetting a few things like air, water, food, safety equipment, and the extra fuel, and so much more.

Also if you're trying to imply that this is interesting due to FET's space conspiracy theory, I'd be happy to discuss conspiracy theory in the proper forum. Thanks.
Don't rely on FEers for history or physics.
[Hampton] never did [go to prison] and was never found guilty of libel.
The ISS doesn't accelerate.

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2014, 02:26:39 AM »

That brings up an interesting point- why did no one tell VG? I mean, if someone who isn't on government funding discovers that space travel is impossible, the cat's out of the bag, isn't it?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2014, 03:55:38 AM »
Please provide your evidence that Virgin Galactic has spent more than NASA originally spent going to the Moon. Be sure to account for inflation. Be sure to keep marketing expenditures separate.

Is there some reason you consider a "fancy, luxury U-2" comparable to SpaceShipOne, please tell us how many people a U-2 carries in your comparison.

Also if you want to argue that 200 pounds is a good estimate for carrying a person safely to and from space, I suggest you're forgetting a few things like air, water, food, safety equipment, and the extra fuel, and so much more.

Also if you're trying to imply that this is interesting due to FET's space conspiracy theory, I'd be happy to discuss conspiracy theory in the proper forum. Thanks.

Well, I certainly could do most of this, but considering your tone I'm definitely going to pass on wasting my time on you.

That brings up an interesting point- why did no one tell VG? I mean, if someone who isn't on government funding discovers that space travel is impossible, the cat's out of the bag, isn't it?

Well, who would believe them? If they suddenly sprang up and said "space travel is impossible!" They would be mocked and berated.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2014, 04:07:49 AM »
http://qz.com/212876/elon-musk-says-he-lost-a-multi-billion-dollar-contract-when-spacex-didnt-hire-a-public-official/

Elon Musk, owner of SpaceX, specifically complains that the NASA contract going to Lockheed Martin and Boeing (long time DoD contractors) is a result of corruption rather than true potential. How interesting that his company is yet again completely passed over.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2014, 04:36:14 AM »
SpaceX gets most of their funding from NASA.  I suspect that SpaceX is simply a way for NASA to launder their money. 

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2014, 05:02:16 AM »
Well, I certainly could do most of this, but considering your tone I'm definitely going to pass on wasting my time on you.
So... I infer that you haven't done the research or the calculations before making your outlandish claim. You might want to consider having the evidence at hand before you make a claim in the future. Oh, and my tone is quite irrelevant. If you don't want to fail to meet simple challenges to back up your claims, you probably don't want to be posting in the "Flat Earth Debate" Forum.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:33 AM »
Oh, and my tone is quite irrelevant.
Actually, it's not. You're standing on the very thin line between just being rude and making personal attacks. The former will mean people won't want to talk to you (Really, we have better things to do than deal with an angry person on the Internet - for example, dealing with pleasant people on the Internet). The latter will have you in breach of the rules. As far as I know, you haven't breached the rules yet, but as friendly advice, you could really try not being such a cunt to everyone. It goes a long way.

Offline Gulliver

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
Oh, and my tone is quite irrelevant.
Actually, it's not. You're standing on the very thin line between just being rude and making personal attacks. The former will mean people won't want to talk to you (Really, we have better things to do than deal with an angry person on the Internet - for example, dealing with pleasant people on the Internet). The latter will have you in breach of the rules. As far as I know, you haven't breached the rules yet, but as friendly advice, you could really try not being such a cunt to everyone. It goes a long way.
Then I'll rephrase, my tone is not relevant to the debate point.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2014, 03:33:30 PM »
Then I'll rephrase, my tone is not relevant to the debate point.
That's fair.

Thork

« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
They aren't exactly filling me with confidence. I'm definitely not going to be first in the queue for a space ride.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28910812

« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2014, 11:06:20 PM »
They aren't exactly filling me with confidence. I'm definitely not going to be first in the queue for a space ride.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28910812

SpaceX doesn't offer space rides.  It's not a space tourism company. 

If it did offer space rides, then it probably wouldn't offer them on test flights of new prototypes.  That would be a silly thing to do.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.