Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1380 on: June 23, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
Mad Max 2 (George Miller, 1981)

Well, this certainly was a big dumb action movie. It once again falls into the "campy but not embracing it" category, although here it's definitely not due to a lack of focus. The whole thing feels like an action movie checklist. It's predictable and formulaic, and the worst thing is that the only characters with any character aren't given time to shine before they turn into dudes who drive cars. I guess it's good action though, so... it's pretty good as long as you turn your brain off, lmao? 6/10
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:35:03 PM by Blanko »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
lmao?
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Online beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: June 23, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
because the only way to enjoy an action movie is to turn your brain off
The Mastery.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: June 23, 2015, 02:19:11 PM »

It's not necessary, but typical.

Rama Set

« Reply #1384 on: June 23, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »

Typical of you.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: June 23, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »

Typical of you.

???

Rama Set

« Reply #1386 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:53 PM »

Typical of you.

???

I just wanted to clarify that you don't speak for anyone else. It was not apparent from your previous comments.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: June 23, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »

Typical of you.

???

I just wanted to clarify that you don't speak for anyone else. It was not apparent from your previous comments.

I see. Have you consulted everyone and made sure I'm not talking for any one of them?

Rama Set

« Reply #1388 on: June 23, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »

Typical of you.

???

I see. Have you consulted everyone and made sure I'm not talking for any one of them?

Irrelevant.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: June 23, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Typical of you.

???

Irrelevant.

It just sounded to me like you were speaking for other people. We wouldn't want that, would we?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: June 23, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (George Miller, 1985)

Well, this certainly was a... big dumb adventure movie.

Without all the big dumb car chases adding context to the setting, the difference between what is post-apocalyptic and what is simply foreign culture begins to blur. The two archetypes presented here - trading shantytown and secluded tribe - are ubiquitous enough that they could as well be placed in the real present-day world. As such, this film is essentially an Indiana Jones in disguise. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but given how all three of these films are so drastically different, it's difficult to picture what the Mad Max universe even is.

Judged on its own merit, however, this film is the best out of the three. The characters are more fleshed out, the script is better and wittier (fuckin' Master Blaster), the action is more varied and better paced, and even the cinematography is drastically improved. But it really does just feel like a poor man's Indiana Jones film. The core concepts used here are not really fleshed out into a unique and fitting universe, but it's well made and I enjoyed it. 7/10

Rama Set

« Reply #1391 on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:57 PM »

Typical of you.

???

Irrelevant.

It just sounded to me like you were speaking for other people. We wouldn't want that, would we?

Incorrect.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 23, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller, 2015)

It's The Road Warrior again, but even bigger and dumber! Really, though, this is easily the best out of the four films. In action movies, pacing is everything. You don't wanna see too much of the same thing before it loses all tension and impact, and this film does a great job avoiding it despite having by far the most action overall in the series. Not only that, but it successfully ties in characterization, plot moments and campy villain action amidst all the action, and never feels the need to (literally) come to a standstill. It's just really well paced and has a great naturally flowing rhythm to it.

I had some grievances, though. One which I've held since I've seen the trailers is how this film looks - the colour grading is variably either horribly oversaturated (this film really likes to abuse blue-orange contrast) or really flat (especially in the night time scenes, which are really ugly), contrast changes from shot to shot, and the editing is pretty sloppy as well - some shots look obviously sped up while others are obviously greenscreened. It's a shame that while this film boasts some amazing practical effects, the end result looks more like a video game cutscene. The script is a big dumb mess, but that's not really even a major issue in a film like this. Overall, this film is an impressive feat, even if it does still have a lot of big dumb in it. 8/10

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: June 24, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (Gerogerigegege Miller)

I enjoyed watching this pretty well. It feels like a far cry from it predecessor, which in turn seemed the same in comparison with the original Mad Max, and the series has generally gotten lighter, the violence more comic than brutal, and this film in particular has a distinct sense of theme park rides about it. They don't even kill a dog in this movie! What the hell, George, where are the dead dogs? The title is accurate, as most of the film does not take place inside the Thunderdome, which is basically pro wrestling combined with Ancient Roman gladiatorial combat and that Star Trek fight scene in which Kirk and Spock hit each other with sticks while silly music plays in the background, the difference is that it's officiated by Tina Turner with big white hair. The music doesn't have the raw edgy quality of Brian May's scores for the first two films, and I guess that fits the generally lighthearted tone of the film pretty well, and blah blah blah blah. So yeah, it was pretty good, but so far none comes close to the original for me. Guess I'll #furyroad at some point.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 25, 2015, 02:01:44 AM »
Adaptation. (Spike Jonze, 2002)

Wow. Never before (I think) has a movie taken me on such a wild rollercoaster of emotions.

I'll admit, at the start I was kinda bored. Chalk it up partly to my general exhaustion, but it took a while for the film to sink its claws into me and really dig deep. Which, honestly, I feel goes perfectly with the potpourri that is the film's script. Well, the film's film's script, not necessarily the film's script (though that too).

Nicolas Cage really was a brilliant choice for Kaufman, because he plays the brothers amazingly well. It's a good sign that I could easily tell them apart simply by mannerisms and the way they talk. Though I could've told simply through the way they dress, the extra effort was admirable.

I'm not sure how deeply I want to get into this because I really don't consider myself good at discussing this sort of stuff; I have all sorts of thematic intricacies and ideas in my head, but I'd rather not convey them here for fear that I'll come off an idiot for either finding painfully obvious themes astounding, for annoyingly taking things the wrong way and making themes up where there are none, or missing blindingly clear ones. That said, I do absolutely love the way the script twists and changes with everything that goes on in Donald's life, particularly the way the film (possible spoiler?) becomes a far-fetched thriller as soon as his brother is involved with the screenplay.

Not really going to delve further to save face, but I really freaking liked this film. It was just good, good, good all around. I really don't like watching movies more than once, but I may do so with this later on. Honestly quite possibly one of the best movies I've ever seen.

EDIT: Forgot to point out, while I usually watch movies straight through with no stopping, I actually had to take two sorta big breaks on this and skip over a little. Two scenes in particular rattled me, caught me by surprise and kinda sent me into a panic, had to stop watching for maybe fifteen to twenty minutes each. Would've been nice to know about those in advance. So hopefully I didn't miss anything important there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:04:16 AM by Snupes »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: June 25, 2015, 02:16:38 PM »
Mad Max: Fury Road (George Miller)

I like it about as much as I like the original Mad Max, and it's definitely better than the other "sequels". I feel like Max could make for a good James Bond type character, played by different guys in various incarnations in a long running, generally episodic series — in the sense that events in one film don't really have much to do with events in another most of the time. Of course, Max isn't really the highlight here, I'm not familiar with Hardy's acting, but both he and the film itself really downplay his importance, often he is totally outshone by Furiosa, who is more than a match for his skills and a badass in general. The big bad, Immortan Joe, is played by Hugh Keays-Byrne, who was the Toecutter in the original film, and while Joe isn't anywhere near as memorable as Toecutter, he is despicable and his tyrannical regime is thoroughly rotten and disgusting, making him much more hateable than the non-character that is Lord Humungus or the affable Aunty Entity. My major issue with the film is just how synthetic a lot of it feels, owing to its hyper saturated colour palette and CGI special effects, the latter of which clashes with the brilliant vehicle designs and practical effects work in a cumbersome fashion. Overall it is solid, and I would probably watch it again.

Dead Leaves (Hiroyuki Imaishi)

Hiroyuki Imaishi, known for his work on FLCL, Gurren Lagann, and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, along with other wacky shit, helms this batshit insane animated tale of violence, sex, and more violence, with more hyperkinetic madness per second than you can shake a drill-penis at. To his credit, he obviously has a lot of passion for his work, and his technique is highly creative and imaginative, almost always making the most of possibilities in each scene.

Retro, a guy with a TV for a head, and Pandy, named for her distinctive panda-like facial markings, let loose on a rampage of extreme violence, eventually being captured by the police and sent to space prison, where they meet all kinds of perverted inmates and are forced to eat and shit with the aid of machines. And that's the set-up for the next forty minutes of non-stop action. The whole thing is totally amoral, giving up any sense of right and wrong in the service of pure action and comedy; everyone is crazy violent, everyone is a sex maniac, and anyone who isn't one or both of those things is probably going to end up fodder for some deranged slapstick sequence. Hell, even the ones who are those things are fodder for deranged slapstick sequences.

While highly convoluted and disorienting at times, Imaishi's direction is absolutely brilliant. The film is a work of almost perpetual motion, breathers few and far between, as the brain is left to make sense of it all. But don't fall for that reflex action, just settle down and go with it, because chances are you won't have time to parse what's going on between each explosion of crazy. The music also plays right into the high-octane sensibilities of the production, delivering fast paced dancey punk and EDM. The synergy of sight and sound is part of what propels the action so well, not just the music but also the voice acting, which is appropriately loud, unhinged, and raucous.

While it seems to aim for a kind of transcendence through its velocity and fluidity, its story elements are lacking, mainly because the lack of breathing room is in conflict with its desire to tell an essentially coherent narrative, and I find that these two elements just don't mesh all that well. Either concessions to story must be made, necessitating a  longer duration or less action, or the action must reign supreme and the immediate story (i.e.: no backstory, just the story of the now) must be told entirely with action, Imaishi just can't quite seem to pick one, and the work is lesser than it could have been as a result. Having said that, I enjoyed Dead Leaves, Imaishi's imaginative style and sense of humour really shine throughout, and I feel that it is well worth watching for its great visuals and the controlled chaos of its rollercoaster-fast action sequences.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 25, 2015, 02:19:21 PM »
My major issue with the film is just how synthetic a lot of it feels, owing to its hyper saturated colour palette and CGI special effects, the latter of which clashes with the brilliant vehicle designs and practical effects work in a cumbersome fashion.

Which CGI effects, specifically?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Crudblud

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 25, 2015, 03:38:07 PM »
My major issue with the film is just how synthetic a lot of it feels, owing to its hyper saturated colour palette and CGI special effects, the latter of which clashes with the brilliant vehicle designs and practical effects work in a cumbersome fashion.

I would have to go back and watch it again to give specific examples, at the moment I'm just going on recollection. I know the vast majority of the crashes and stunts were done physically, Miller is no slouch when it comes to that stuff, but I definitely recall being taken out of the action a bunch of times by some cheesy looking CGI.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: June 25, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »

I would have to go back and watch it again to give specific examples, at the moment I'm just going on recollection. I know the vast majority of the crashes and stunts were done physically, Miller is no slouch when it comes to that stuff, but I definitely recall being taken out of the action a bunch of times by some cheesy looking CGI.

The example of blatant CGI I can think of is the sand storm, but I thought even that looked pretty good. Maybe some of the citadel shots, as well.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 25, 2015, 04:15:31 PM »
The CGI was mostly used for the landscape, but I thought it all looked pretty good and wouldn't be able to tell what wasn't there if I watched it again.
It might be more obvious on the Citadel gear/machinery shots, but that room wasn't shown for any extended period of time. Even if you could tell, I don't agree with the cheesy descriptor.

http://www.dailydot.com/entertainment/mad-max-fury-road-cgi-effects-explainer/