Ghost of V

Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #520 on: March 22, 2015, 03:15:40 AM »
I heard that it's a worthy successor to SimCity4. Maxis certainly isn't making another city sim worth a damn.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 22, 2015, 03:39:27 AM »
I heard that it's a worthy successor to SimCity4. Maxis certainly isn't making another city sim worth a damn.

It isn't perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better than Simcity 2013 and much more organic than Simcity 4.

Maxis screwed themselves because of the way they handled sewage/water/electricity in Simcity 2013. They tried to make literally every aspect of the game an AI agent but couldn't make AI that wasn't shit. The result is even if you mod the game to have larger cities, half of your city has no water or electricity because the AI gets confused by all of the utility intersections. Maxis wasn't joking when they said they couldn't get larger city sizes to work.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 22, 2015, 06:17:22 AM »
The boyfriend has been playing that as well. Seems like a fun game.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2015, 11:47:34 AM »
I don't understand how to build good road systems. Therefore, the game is terrible.

jk it's pretty gud
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
Maxis isn't making another Sim game ever.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: March 22, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »
I don't understand how to build good road systems. Therefore, the game is terrible.

jk it's pretty gud

It's funny, though, city sims are a good way to teach people the importance of roundabouts in traffic management. Some form of city sim experience should be required credit for civil engineer graduation. Also, that's what pissed me off the most about Simcity 2013 is it had no one-way roads, therefore roundabouts were impossible and traffic was a nightmare.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 22, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
I even have traffic jams on my roundabouts. I literally cannot roads.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 22, 2015, 07:03:31 PM »
I even have traffic jams on my roundabouts. I literally cannot roads.

How is that even possible?

« Reply #528 on: March 22, 2015, 07:50:21 PM »
Because roundabouts are shit.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 23, 2015, 12:04:57 PM »
I once built a city in SC4 (almost) without traffic. Every building connected to a tiny square of road* encircling an underground station, the little island cities were connected in an underground network, with the industrial pockets at the edge of the map. I think there was one lazy f*cker who drove from his apartment building to the station across the road, but otherwise there were no cars. Until I built the city enough to get the hospitals, police stations and fire stations with air support, I left one square free at the corner of every pocket city to manually drive the emergency vehicles to a disaster.

*As in:

RRR
RUR
RRR
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 12:07:01 PM by Ghost Spaghetti »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 23, 2015, 01:13:52 PM »
manually drive the emergency vehicles to a disaster.

Wow.

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 23, 2015, 05:33:34 PM »

green - Resi
Blue - Commercial
Yellow - Industry
Orange - Civil
Grey - Road
Black - Metro

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 23, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »
You are the dirtiest of the dirty min-maxers.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 23, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »
I'm still playing Super Smash Bros. Melee after 14 years. And I've just realized if anything happens to the disk, it's going to cost a decent amount to get a new one.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:19 PM »
I'm still playing Super Smash Bros. Melee after 14 years. And I've just realized if anything happens to the disk, it's going to cost a decent amount to get a new one.

Why would you not just download a rom and burn it onto one of the discs yourself? You don't need a special burner to burn those tiny discs, any CD/DVD burner can do it.

Ghost of V

« Reply #535 on: March 23, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »

Why would you not just download a rom and burn it onto one of the discs yourself? You don't need a special burner to burn those tiny discs, any CD/DVD burner can do it.

lol

It would be much easier to use the homebrew channel on the Wii. Burning those gamecube discs is problematic.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 23, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »

I've thought about that, but I'd rather have an authentic copy.

Ghost of V

« Reply #537 on: March 23, 2015, 08:09:24 PM »

Have you ever considered Project M? I played it when it was still in beta. It was ok. It felt a bit awkward, but this was back in 2012.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 23, 2015, 08:16:39 PM »

Have you ever considered Project M? I played it when it was still in beta. It was ok. It felt a bit awkward, but this was back in 2012.

The friend who I play Melee with regularly keeps wanting to try it. But for some reason he always thought you needed a modded Wii to be able to play it. I told him there's a hack free version and he just said "oh" and hasn't mentioned it since. I don't really have much interest in it, but if he decides to make a copy I'll try it. Besides, I think Smash 4 is finally the proper sequel to Melee everyone was hoping for in Brawl. The physics don't reach Melee level hilarity, but it's still insanely fun.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #539 on: March 24, 2015, 03:54:31 AM »
How does its ending being controversial equate to them having screwed it up?

I may have phrased that poorly.  I meant more the controversy about whether or not the ending actually made sense within the context of the story and the universe.  I don't want to start spouting off like I'm some kind of authority on narratology or anything, but good twists shouldn't be leaving players confused and in disbelief.  It's fine to surprise them, or even shock them, but the reveal still needs to be accessible enough to players to work as a satisfactory ending.  You can't just throw something bizarre and convoluted at the players and then say, "Now go try to figure out what the hell it is that you just saw and how it actually makes sense."  Like I said, it's a self-contained medium.

To me it was pretty obvious that Booker was supposed to be a classic hardboiled type, though obviously more action-oriented than a Sam Spade as necessitated by the nature of the game. He fits the mould, and even shares a few biographical notes with Dashiell Hammett, an alcoholic and former Pinkerton agent.

Plenty of those hardboiled types like Spade or Marlowe were distinctive characters in their own right, even if popular culture has Flanderized them into basic tough guys with a gun in one hand and a drink in the other.  But yeah, this isn't a super-important criticism or anything.  I guess it's just my reaction these days to roll my eyes whenever I see another brooding dark-haired white guy with stubble on the cover of a video game.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 05:04:52 AM by Saddam Hussein »