Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #180 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:10 PM »
Cover based shooter mechanics, in depth sci-fi story that isn't half assed, talkingtalkingtalkingtalking. A watered down Bioware RPG in space. If any of that appeals, then jump on it.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 28, 2014, 05:27:58 AM »
I didn't think 9,99 seemed too bad for two games, so I got them. I'm not going to start playing at once, but I thought just having to click install in steam if I ever wanted to try them out one day seemed handy.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #182 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
I know I'm not saying anything new, but holy shit, the Mako sucks giant donkey dick.  My fucking lawn mower handles better than this toilet on wheels.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 28, 2014, 04:31:40 PM »
The what?
The Mastery.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »
I know I'm not saying anything new, but holy shit, the Mako sucks giant donkey dick.  My fucking lawn mower handles better than this toilet on wheels.
At least you don't get roll damage.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2014, 10:13:55 PM »

Bioware, pushing new frontiers in vehicle sections. Remember that you get to explore most planets in the galaxy with it!

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
I never had that much trouble with the Mako. It certainly is bouncy though.

I even missed it and the free world exploration in the second and third games. I preferred it to the scanning.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2014, 06:22:44 AM »
I've been looking forward to playing Remember Me finally after hearing about it and its mechanics, and I finally got to play it for four-ish hours today since I'm sick and it's free on PS+.

Extremely disappointingly, it kind of sucks.

It's mostly dull, uninspired Uncharted-rip-off-style "climbing is fun!!!!" gameplay that serves only to pad levels and the story and to show you the environment, and really boring combat that could have been interesting because of the create-a-combo mechanics they have in place, but fails.

This sucks, because the story, setting and other mechanics set up what could be an amazing game. In particular the memory remix segments, where you take a person's memories and adjust them slightly in different places, rewinding and going forward to see what you can mess with, changing and tweaking things bit by bit and watching how it plays out from there until you manage to get the result you want, is one of the most rewarding, amazing experiences I've played in a game in a very long time. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure novel come to life, except you're manipulating the outcome and deciding what to change, then being able to watch it come to life from there. All within one memory I managed to see a violent, horrible outcome; a really touching, sad one; a happier, more optimistic view; and then finally the one I needed. None were necessary, but all were rewarding as hell.

Yet it seems there are only several of these throughout the game, all of which fall between hours of some of the most boring platforming I've been subject to and the most sterile, finicky, uninspired and disappointing environment of a really interesting world. I might play a chapter at a time every day or so just because I really want to screw with more memories and I'm interested in seeing where the story goes, but this is a great example of what could have been a truly amazing "Game of the Year" material game reduced to one probably not worth playing, even when free, unless only for those particular segments. What a shame. :[

It's also worth noting that the music is pretty great; it dovetails perfectly with the version of Neo-Paris in this game that's 50% old-fashion that's intertwined with the other 50% that's augmented reality and mechanical, in that the music is a orchestrated work mixed seamlessly with glitchy electronic music. It's pretty great.

Also, Nilin suffers from "tough cool female character must wear butt-enhancing pants at all times" syndrome.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:26:15 AM by Supertails »
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2014, 09:55:39 PM »
Saddam dislikes him because he is popular.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2014, 10:53:53 PM »
Zero Punctuation is objectively terrible.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
Zero Punctuation is the absolute worst. But I'll check it out a bit later to see exactly what we disagree on this time. :]

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2014, 11:21:56 PM »
Zero Punctuation is the absolute worst. But I'll check it out a bit later to see exactly what we disagree on this time. :]

Tsundere

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
Another terrible free game for gold.  Some Civilization title.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2014, 12:44:39 AM »
Agh, I have a feeling he was about to say spoilers so I guess I'm not watching it yet. So far I've found it to be a pretty standard ZP 'review', though, in that it hasn't really said anything useful about the game itself and is just dumb mockery that doesn't really help anyone with anything at all. But I only watched half, so maybe it got better. We'll find out one day!!!!

Tsundere

wat

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2014, 01:09:06 AM »
Agh, I have a feeling he was about to say spoilers so I guess I'm not watching it yet. So far I've found it to be a pretty standard ZP 'review', though, in that it hasn't really said anything useful about the game itself and is just dumb mockery that doesn't really help anyone with anything at all. But I only watched half, so maybe it got better. We'll find out one day!!!!

Tsundere

wat
I don't think he actually spoiled anything. He kept saying something about a twist but never revealed a twist.

He did comment on how he liked that you can make combos and the memory altering. However, he thinks that maybe the game had so many good ideas that none of them had room to grow into a great game, but rather a game with a lot of little great things that didn't work well together. Basically, he pretty much agreed with what you were saying.