Re: Drugs should be legal.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
Why should the existence of children affect the legality of drugs?  If parents aren't able to care for children while impaired then they shouldn't partake.  Child care is independent of the legality of drugs.

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 08:51:38 PM »
except that with smoking weed, you are pretty much either sober or wasted.
Based on my extensive research, this is not true.

But yes, there is no valid reason for drugs to be illegal for adults.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
except that with smoking weed, you are pretty much either sober or wasted.
Based on my extensive research, this is not true.

But yes, there is no valid reason for drugs to be illegal for adults.

That depends on the drug.  There's no problem with weed, but ones like meth that are highly addictive to the point that people spend all they have on the drug, and then go attack/rob others for drug money, should probably be illegal.

Also any that pose serious health risks should be illegal too.
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 09:37:32 PM »
Alcohol and cigarettes pose serious health risks as well as being addictive.  Regulations can help limit the exposure of the more dangerous drugs and addiction help would probably be more readily available to them.  The supply would also be regulated and the product would then be safer than it currently is since they would have to meet a specific standard to be commercially sold.

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »
Alcohol and cigarettes pose serious health risks as well as being addictive.  Regulations can help limit the exposure of the more dangerous drugs and addiction help would probably be more readily available to them.  The supply would also be regulated and the product would then be safer than it currently is since they would have to meet a specific standard to be commercially sold.

This is especially true for amphetamines, where pharmaceutical grade drugs have relatively few long term negative health effects when compared to the street versions.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:31 PM »
Let's not bicker over the details.  Let's just agree that Sean is a horrible person. 

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
I very much agree with Junker, Sean and DuckDodgers in this thread. The same debate on the .org site changed me from a pretty radical "all drugs are horrible" standpoint to a "all drugs should be legal and regulated" one. In the countries in which they've decriminalized all drugs, that's where drugs usage and crime and deaths have gone down, and regulating them would only help that further. Part of why people die from heroin and that sort of drug is because it's made in the streets unprofessionally, often with bad strains that cause much worse effects than they should. Whereas them being professionally researched and created they could be made much, much safer.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:36 AM »
No to mention the massive drop in crime related to drugs.

Offline Shane

• If you will it, it is no dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 12:47:49 AM »
The billions of dollars the government is spending, at least I'm the USA, could be better spent.
Quote from: Rushy
How do you know you weren't literally given metaphorical wings?

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 04:40:21 AM »
Drugs should be illegal to sell, but not illegal to use.

Anybody who disagrees is wrong.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 05:01:37 AM »
I personally would never use drugs, but hey, I'm okay with their legalization. Drug companies are the easiest to invest in because their customers are addicted to their products. It's like a business on easy mode.

Offline Tau

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Magistrum Fallaciae
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 10:03:58 PM »
I can't do drugs for mental reasons, but there shouldn't be laws about what I put into my own body. And if there are, they should be consistent. If some smokes pot every day for a year and another person eats nothing by Taco Bell every day for a year, the one eating Taco Bell is going to be significantly more fucked up, most likely. So why should pot be illegal when fast food isn't?
That's how far the horizon is, not how far you can see.

Read the FAQ: http://wiki.tfes.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline Excelsior John

• Excelsior! Flat Earth FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Excelsior! Flat Earth
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »
This conversation has been had on the other site, but it's always fun. Anyway, adults shouldn't be prohibited from using recreational drugs.
Reley?!! Are you kiding me??!!! Why he heck should drugs be legel they KILL you and cause canser and stuff!!! Also how could you posibley in any way be a good parent and be a horible drug adik at the same time its just full of inconsistencys and is a stupit idea in generel!
Viva la FES!
Quote from: Yaakov ben Avraham link=https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=59968.msg1544396#msg1544396
Excelsior:...You are clearly a reasonable and intelligent person.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 02:56:38 AM »
11 orthographic errors. I don't know. I figure, pot seems alot safer than alcohol & Tobacco, both of which are legal. I love my weekly cigar. I used to get high on pot, but my fiancee asked me to stop. I don't drink since I can't seem to behave when I do. But @ least pot, legalise it, regulate it, & tax it!

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 02:58:37 AM »
Pot, and all the other drugs.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 03:03:47 AM »
I'm not convinced about the others. Having known some meth addicts, I think the social disruption is too great.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 03:13:50 AM »
Can you elaborate on the "social disruption" aspect?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 03:38:30 AM »
I can try. The meth addicts I've known have nearly destroyed their lives w/ it. It became their whole reason to exist. One stole over $4000 from her employer. I've heard of other girls whoring for the money. I personally knew a crack whore. I just think that legalising such drugs, the addictive power of which is so great, is basically the State saying to people, 'Fuck you, your life isn't worth anything.' & EJ is right in that many drugs do indeed kill & maim people for life. For the State to accept that as a fait accompli just seems cold.

Offline Shane

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 04:10:25 AM »
Actually, that should not happen. In fact, it should happen less.

Quote from: The Budgetary Impact of Ending Drug Prohibition, Jeffrey Miron, Katherine Waldock
This report assumes that legalized prices for marijuana would be 50% of current prices. For cocaine, available evidence suggests that prices might fall to 20% of the current level; for heroin, the evidence suggests it might fall to 5% of the current level. For other drugs, this report assumes that prices fall to 5% of the current level.

As you see, evidence suggests (Feel free to read the study) prices should fall quite dramatically, which makes sense, as produces would no longer have to take on the risk associated, and would be able to produce in larger quantities at a time. That means users would not as often find it necessary to steal to fund their addiction.

Also, in Portugal, the decriminalization of drugs was a success.

Many of these innovative treatment procedures would not have emerged if addicts had continued to be arrested and locked up rather than treated by medical experts and psychologists. Currently 40,000 people in Portugal are being treated for drug abuse. This is a far cheaper, far more humane way to tackle the problem. Rather than locking up 100,000 criminals, the Portuguese are working to cure 40,000 patients and fine-tuning a whole new canon of drug treatment knowledge at the same time.
http://www.businessinsider.com/portugal-drug-policy-decriminalization-works-2012-7

with legalization the government saves billions of dollars, and also collects millions if not billions more in taxes. This money, I would propose, be spent on drug education and rehabilitation. It is clear that people are not helped by being thrown in jail,  and without the stigma attached to these "junkies" many may be more inclined to get help rather than being forced to stay in the shadows.

We could see a reduction in violent crime, and gang violence, in the US and abroad. Gangs and  drug cartels would lose much influence, as most of their funding is from illicit drug trade.

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 04:19:43 AM »
Just curious, is it possible to get high from a blunt's second-hand smoke?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.